Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eagan , Minnesota
Tire replacement thread with pics of jack placement for removing wheels

I'm about to replace the tires on my 25' FC. Within the past couple months I ran across a thread in the AIR Forums newsletter about removing the wheels and taking them to Discount Tire for new tire mounting. The thread had pics showing where to place the bottle jack and jack stands for stability. Some discussion was reaction to posted pics of a tire shop putting the jack on the axles. I mistakenly deleted a saved link to this thread, and have not been able to find it again searching in the forum. Can someone help this forgetful elder Airstreamer find those photos showing safe placement of the jack and stands?
GFCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
When I had my metal valve stems installed by a tire dealer, I drove one axle up on blocks, removed other two tires, took them to shop, repeated process for other two. Trailer stayed hooked to TV for stability and no jack stands involved. I used wife's car to run tires to shop, but I could have done the process on tire shop lot. Just an option if not comfortable jacking and removing all four.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I use a bottle jack between the wheels on the sub frame….with a 3/8 thick 3”” wide 8 “ long flat bar on top of the jack…to keep from bending the flange…jack it up…the lug nuts were loosened before jacking up…jack it up remove the wheels..I do put a wood block under the hubs in case something slips…1 side at a time..unless you can put spare wheels and tires on the one side
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFCharlie View Post
. . .
I ran across a thread . . .
. . .
Can someone help this forgetful elder Airstreamer find those photos showing safe placement of the jack and stands?
In an attempt to answer your question accurately, Charlie, with a minimum of words and "this is how I do it" replies . . . plus . . . welcome to the forum!

In general, Robert Cross seems to have his finger firmly on the pulse of this IMO. This is from a 2019 thread, but click on the orange arrow in the quote, and check his attached photos, and the rest of that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Two 5ton jack stands & the tongue jack...17 Seasons no problems. Saves the axles & tires.
Lift on the axle frame mount.�� For storage only.

Bob
����

Gotta go out now for errands . . . will look more later.

Good luck,

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Search results for "Robert Cross jack stands site:airforums.com" for a wider range of possible threads you may have seen more recently, Charlie:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Robe...=airforums.com

Until later after errands and deliveries . . .

Happy Trails!

Peter

Old 06-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Excellent . . . thanks for the update!

Bob Cross is a deep resource of Airstream knowledge . . . thanks Bob.

Peter

Old 06-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I use a bottle jack between the wheels on the sub frame….
I was going to do that (a floor jack won't fit) but the fresh water drain is right there. I was too afraid I'd snap it off by accident.
I used a floor jack in front of the front axle, and added a jack stand behind the rear axle just in case the jack leaked down.
It didn't.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eagan , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS -- Search results for "Robert Cross jack stands site:airforums.com" for a wider range of possible threads you may have seen more recently, Charlie:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Robe...=airforums.com

Until later after errands and deliveries . . .

Happy Trails!

Peter
Multiple edit attempts, getting familiar here, ended up deleting and starting over -- after you replied!

Hey Peter, you nailed it for me, these pics are the same as those in the thread link I'd saved and lost. I'll browse others your search retrieved too -- not sure yet if it's exactly the same thread but it's the pics I wanted to find. Thank you! Also appreciate the responses from others trying to help.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I was going to do that (a floor jack won't fit) but the fresh water drain is right there. I was too afraid I'd snap it off by accident.
I used a floor jack in front of the front axle, and added a jack stand behind the rear axle just in case the jack leaked down.
It didn't.
FYI it would appear that the OP already has his "link" and "photos" answers, as specifically requested IMO.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Talking

Quote:
Multiple edit attempts, getting familiar here, ended up deleting and starting over -- after you replied!

Hey Peter, you nailed it for me, these pics are the same as those in the thread link I'd saved and lost. I'll browse others your search retrieved too -- not sure yet if it's exactly the same thread but it's the pics I wanted to find. Thank you! Also appreciate the responses from others trying to help.
No prob . . . yeah the edit window is good news, and bad news at times.

Ya dun good!

Old 06-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI it would appear that the OP already has his "link" and "photos" answers, as specifically requested IMO.

So you add a post to say I shouldn't have added a post?
I can take a hint.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I saw some pictures by doing a search. I've found that square plate behind the tandem wheels on each side of my Classic. I typically have used a floor jack along with a block of wood on it. I set that block on the jack and position the wood to contact the plate. Lifts both wheels off the ground safely.

Typically when I do the tire replacement I get the spare involved. I put that on one side so that gives me one tire. Then I jack up the other side and pull those two wheels and leave the trailer on the floor jack. That gives me 3 wheels to get changed. Once those three are done, I scoot back home get the three wheels mounted, then I'll remove the last wheel and leave that side sitting on the ground with one tire.

Would be nice if I could do this at a tire dealer but in this metro area none of them will mount LT tires if they know you are putting them on a trailer. Their answer is always liability. I've even shown them Airstream documentation showing that the Classics come with Michelin LT tires and they still refuse to mount the tires if they are aware that you are putting the tires on a trailer.

I know some dealerships will jack on the axle plate. They told me they know what they are doing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #13
Freedom

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
I use the Trailer-Aid when I had them change out my valve stems to all metal. Fast and easy and I don't have to worry about damaging the frame accidently.
WBCCI: 26506
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
GFCharlie, Discount Tire replaced the valve stems on our Globetrotter while it was connected to the truck. I showed the techs where the jack point was on the trailer and they were careful to use that point.

I was in and out in less than an hour. You might consider taking the trailer over to Discount Tire.

BTW, my son and his wife lived in Burnsville; she worked at Doolittle's in Egan. Beautiful area!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3115 (2).jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	398052   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3116 (1).jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	398053  

Name:	IMG_3118 (1).jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	612.0 KB
ID:	398054  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Jacking trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
GFCharlie, Discount Tire replaced the valve stems on our Globetrotter while it was connected to the truck. I showed the techs where the jack point was on the trailer and they were careful to use that point.

I was in and out in less than an hour. You might consider taking the trailer over to Discount Tire.

BTW, my son and his wife lived in Burnsville; she worked at Doolittle's in Egan. Beautiful area!
When I put new tires on our 27' FC, ( GY Endurance)I did the same, showed techs the jack points, had them put a short 2x on the top of the jack, used the tongue jack for a little extra lift. In and out in about an hour. Discount Tire is the place, will also fix yor flats for free.
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:33 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eagan , Minnesota
Thanks to everyone who's taken time to comment.

Taking our trailer the 25 mile drive to Discount Tire is not a safe enough option for me. It's been sitting in my shop/garage unused for a few years and the tires are more than 8 years old. Am ready to get this done now, have everything needed but losing those pics left me with less than full confidence of knowing the best placement of jack and jack stands.

All's good now.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up Trailer staying at home

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who's taken time to comment.

Taking our trailer the 25 mile drive to Discount Tire is not a safe enough option for me. It's been sitting in my shop/garage unused for a few years and the tires are more than 8 years old. Am ready to get this done now, have everything needed but losing those pics left me with less than full confidence of knowing the best placement of jack and jack stands.

All's good now.
Thanks for the update, that you are going to do this work at home, and will not be towing the trailer anywhere for the new tires.

Sounds like a good plan for you at this time.

Happy trails,

Peter

Old 06-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Brand new GYEs today. Here's a photo of the first one going on...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0624211425.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	398125  

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Question

Good morning, Bob, . . . just wondering if you meant to post this in the very informative 23D thread? [hot link in blue]

The OP here has indicated his path forward IMO.

Peter