Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Tire Problem? Pressure Question

I moved my 79/31' off of the gravel and onto the concrete in front of the barn today. My wife noticed that the rear tire(s) were visibly low. Checked the pressure - they were each down to around 20 PSI. Checked all of the tires and filled them to 60PSI (the max recommended on the Goodyear Marathon sidewall is 65PSI). I noticed that there is a small "indentation" on the sidewall of one of the rear tires. It was really pronounced as I filled the tire but was eliminated for the most part after I got the pressure up to 65PSI. Is this something that I should be concerned/worried about. These are new tires (as of spring of 2002) and don't have much mileage on them.

I saw a post re: tire pressure and the proper rate to inflate tires to. The VIN tag on the side of my AS recommends 40PSI for the tires (3200 lb axles). Why would the manufacturer suggest a PSI that is 25 lbs below the max? I am the 3rd owner of the trailer but I believe that all of the prior owners used Goodyear Marathons (don't know if the trailer came standard with them). Which PSI should I adhere to?

Thanks, Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I just filled my tires to what the Marathons said they should have. I also took the comments from the forum into consideration.

I had no problems and would suggest that if there is no dry rot present, go to what the tire suggests. Given you have a 31', I would say that you won't go wrong by following the tires suggested cold PSI of 65lbs.

BTW, I didn't mention that I saw a twin axle SOB with a blowout on my way home. It happened up the road from me realtime. Given the dual axle, it seemed very controlled and the driver of the rig had no problems getting it to the side of the road. Not sure what tires he had or pressure, but for me, 65PSI is where I was at for all 700-750 miles last week.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote