Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 09:41 AM   #1

2021 30RB Classic
Henderson , Texas
Tire pressure when towing

Own a tandem axle classic and cold psi is 80 on all tires. During driving,the tpms reveals the front axle tires to be 1-3 psi higher than the rear axle. Trailer tows well. Is this normal or too much weight on front axle versus other?
ermdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermdtx View Post
Own a tandem axle classic and cold psi is 80 on all tires. During driving,the tpms reveals the front axle tires to be 1-3 psi higher than the rear axle. Trailer tows well. Is this normal or too much weight on front axle versus other?
You most likely don't NEED 80psi, but is the trailer level?
Tongue high will load the rear axle more, level is best, but up to 2" low is better than any inches high.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I cannot say whether it is normal or not, but I see about the same on my FC 25RBT. I could not get my trailer level and so it is very slightly nose down, which may be the cause for me.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we keep the AS tire at 65 psi. they often raise upto 75 psi it its hot outside or facing the sun

IMHO, 80 psi cold is too high
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I cannot say whether it is normal or not, but I see about the same on my FC 25RBT. I could not get my trailer level and so it is very slightly nose down, which may be the cause for me.
Nose WAY down would increase the front axle, unlikely enough to damage the tires though.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
It would be interesting to get weights on each axle with the trailer in an "as towed" configuration. My guess is the axle with the higher pressure buildup is carrying more weight. Whether the extra weight is too much will be a simple math problem once you know the actual weight on the axle.

To get the weights on each axle, just park your trailer on the CAT Scale with the axles on separate pads.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Welcome to the forum… looks like this is your first post.

I think we have a number of topics getting mixed together here.

I believe your question might be rephrased: “If my TPMS is showing 1-3 psi more on the tires on one of my two axles versus the tires on the other axle does that indicate a problem that I should be addressing?” Is that correct?

I would answer that question: I think that’s within normal range. I see similar results. It may indicate that slightly more weight is on the axle with higher temps than the one with lower. It may also indicate that the heat of the front axles tires is being detected by the rear sensors, or the heat from the tow vehicle exhaust is being picked up by the front axle sensors or even that the sensors just are not quite that precise. That seems normal to me.

The two axles will carry variable amounts of weight as the load changes in the trailer (e.g. water and waste tank levels, food, propane, gear, etc.) and the load in the tow vehicle. The typical standard method is to prep the trailer and tow vehicle to be ready for travel (yes, including passengers, dogs, food, water, etc.) and see if the trailer is level. Start with your eyeballs… confirm with a decent level on the floor of the trailer. There is also a lot here about setting up a trailer using truck scales. The gold standard is the Escapees SmartWeigh program. Google that if you really want a schooling is trailer weight and balance.

The other question is whether 80 psi is too much cold pressure. We bought our trailer new from Colonial Airstream. They advised running at 80 psi. Like many people who engage in this discussion here, I don’t do that anymore. For our 25’ loaded typically to 6,800 lbs for travel that gives too rough a ride and contributes to things breaking. I typically run at 65 or 70. Your trailer is bigger and heavier. You may want more pressure. Your tires probably have a load table available from the manufacturer. It offers perspective on what pressure they recommend for that specific tire based on the weight it is being asked to carry.

I hope that helps.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
As consistently and constantly advised by one AS 5-riveted dealership and JC, tire pressure should be at 80 psi. I once had mine at 65 psi as advised by this Forum, and Boise Airstream Adventures in Caldwell, ID (who were doing warranty work for me) told me they were inflating my tires back to 80 psi as required by their AS five-riveted certification guidelines. They told me that 65 psi was considered “flat.”
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
^
WELL...Correct tire pressure is not a fixed number.
You've made the choice, it's better over than under.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-08-2021, 01:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
As consistently and constantly advised by one AS 5-riveted dealership and JC, tire pressure should be at 80 psi. I once had mine at 65 psi as advised by this Forum, and Boise Airstream Adventures in Caldwell, ID (who were doing warranty work for me) told me they were inflating my tires back to 80 psi as required by their AS five-riveted certification guidelines. They told me that 65 psi was considered “flat.”
We ran our 23D at 75psi, and popped rivets were somewhat the norm. We now run our 25FBT at +/- 68psi. No popped rivets. Just sayin’, whatever.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Pasadena , California
GoodYear tire Pressure vs Load table

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermdtx View Post
Here is the link to the GoodYear table for the GoodYear Endurance tires. I hope this helps establish appropriate pressures for you BUT you'll need to know your trailers load in order to safely choose a pressure less than the MAX 80PSI.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
bfdowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I'd sure like to know what they're basing this information on. I was told the same thing when I installed the GY Endurance on my 1994 Excella. The owners manual calls for 50 psi, which I believe was the sidewall max for the tires available at the time. Curious why they feel 80psi is needed even with load weights much less than the tire's max capacity.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #13

2018 28' International
Trion , Georgia
Follow Recommendations

As a former insurance adjuster that had to handle a few travel trailer accidents and someone that has had 2 too many blow outs, follow the manufacturers’ recommendations. Most blow outs happen because of tire overheating which is usually caused by under-inflation. If it calls for 80 lbs psi COLD, then start out with 80 lbs and DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF with what it goes up to as the tires heat up. Under inflation by as little as 10 lbs causes overheating and will relieve the tire manufacturer of any responsibility for tire failure.
David in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #14
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in GA View Post
As a former insurance adjuster that had to handle a few travel trailer accidents and someone that has had 2 too many blow outs, follow the manufacturers’ recommendations. Most blow outs happen because of tire overheating which is usually caused by under-inflation. If it calls for 80 lbs psi COLD, then start out with 80 lbs and DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF with what it goes up to as the tires heat up. Under inflation by as little as 10 lbs causes overheating and will relieve the tire manufacturer of any responsibility for tire failure.
This is logical for trailers which have a recommendation for 80psi in the tires. But, for trailers made before the GY Endurance and the 80psi max cold inflation came around, what's the rationale behind inflating to the max cold pressure rather than following the load & inflation chart based on actual trailer weight?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to go with 80psi, just curious why. Doesn't make sense that GY would even publish a load & inflation chart if everyone was just going to run them at the max cold inflation pressure.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #15
OG1
1 Rivet Member

Nevis , Minnesota
Tire pressure when towing

I have always been told to run tire pressure at 10 lbs less then max. Tires heat up air in tires expands creating more pressure. This summer with high out side temps tire were 7-9 lbs higher then inflated level. Temps run higher on driver side more road material to store heat. TPS is a must and run a high quality tire. I also rotate them yearly.
OG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Using recommended tire pressure has resulted in over wear on the middle tread of 2 sets of tires. FYI
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrout View Post
Using recommended tire pressure has resulted in over wear on the middle tread of 2 sets of tires. FYI
What was the 'recommended' TP?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Piedmont , South Carolina
This has been discussed many times. For tires like the GY Enduramce, as with most tire manufacturers, there is a published chart for the appropriate inflation based on the trailer weight. All tires have the “maximum “ inflation posted for that tire. So many people think that is the appropriate inflation - it is not. Of course, you can inflate to the maximum, but you will be needlessly causing a rough ride for your trailer.
I have seen a chart indicating that a Flying loud 27’ with a typical load should run 55psi instead of the max 80psi.
Trailride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #19
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Tire pressures on trailer has been an endlessly discussed topic - and not likely to stop any time soon.

Part of the problem is that trailer manufacturers didn't do a good job of sizing tires on their trailers. Was Airstream one of those? I don't know!

Weighing a trailer is a good place to start. You want the load on each tire, but those are hard to come by. Usually you get loads by axle or even all 4. There is side to side and front to rear variation.

May I propose another method for the OP: Measuring pressure build up. Rule of thumb is that you don't want more than 10% - excluding temperature effects.

At the start of extended freeway driving measure the pressures for each tire. Then after an hour measure them again.

What about the max pressure on the tire? That is a cold pressure and the tire manufacturer designs the tire so the operating pressure will build up within acceptable limits.

Just an FYI: The burst pressure of tires is several times the max pressure. So even Load Range D tires (65 psi) will not burst at over 100 psi! (This does not count road hazards which can cause bursts even at 10 psi!)

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:32 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
^

Thank You!!

Bob
🇺🇸