Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I’am more concerned about the effect on my trailer than how long the thread last on my tire, in all likely hood and from my experience I’ll be changing my tires out long before thread is an issue, btw trailer tires are not the same as car tires.
That is the calculus we all have to make with one more point to consider. A tire failure is less likely at 80 psi and a tire failure is not good for your trailer. Now is it enough less likely to make a difference? I wish I knew.
DCPAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
My thoughts are it’s a good reason to go with what you know will result than what one ‘feels’ may result. That’s me. Also use TPMS
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHUDS22 View Post
I would worry that at 80psi a tire blowing is more likely :-
Ours 67 but when hot 72-75
It pays to read previous posts, especially those from a "tire engineer"

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-12-2021, 05:39 AM   #44
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
It’s always funny to me how all the concern is for the trailer tires but no one ever seems to take the same level of concern/detail with the TV tires.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:03 AM   #45
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
It’s always funny to me how all the concern is for the trailer tires but no one ever seems to take the same level of concern/detail with the TV tires.
I think I can explain that.

In Aug 2000, Firestone had a massive tire recall. This prompted much scrutiny on both tires and vehicles.

It took a few years, but by 2008, ALL vehicle manufacturers had upgraded their SUV's, vans, and pickups to larger tires.

Except for trailers!

The trailer industry lagged way behind. Not only did some trailer manufacturers specify tires that were too small, they failed to warn people that the tires were speed limited to 65 mph. This was never a problem for tires on tow vehicles.

It wasn't until a few years ago that both trailer manufacturers and tire manufacturers addressed this issue - and, interestingly, the trailer manufacturers addressed it the same way the SUV and truck manufacturers did - by specifying larger load capacity in their tires. The tire manufacturers addressed this by increasing the speed capability.

So today, travel trailers are coming out of the woods when it comes to tire issues, but this will likely remain a bit of an issue because trailers have a much longer life than tow vehicles.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:35 AM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
Consider....how long has it been since you've had a TV or DD on the road tire failure?
I've had the Burb for 13 years without one.
And unless your a roadracer the trailer tires are under more stress while underway, and degradation from lack of exercise while sitting thru storage isn't helpful.

Hence....I cover in season on drainage pad, remove for storage, and ck PSI before every outing.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37D08253-FEF9-461C-A6DC-0F11CD7F8846_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	403881   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD1D54AD-CAB7-4270-8216-236154B363D6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	403882  

Old 09-12-2021, 07:44 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have had 3 TV tire failures while towing in the last 5 years. One was driver error, I scraped a curb. Probably did not damage the tire but it was about time anyway. Two were screws. Caught all of the issues on the TPMS. I run the same tires (different sizes) on the TV and the trailer. I feel "comfortable" with TV tires. I worry every inch of the way about the trailer tires. The only problem I have had with the trailer tires is right now one tire feels like the belt is coming loose under the tread when I run my hand around the tire. Very jagged spots in the tread that do not feel like they could be from normal wear. Noted it while greasing wheel bearings. Off to get a new set of tires Tuesday when the dealer gets the valve stems. (They have the tires). Then back to worrying as we travel to Texas for the next 2 months. I just could not make myself buy the Goodyears this time either after all those years they were bad. Maybe Goodyears are good now but....
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I have had 3 TV tire failures while towing in the last 5 years. One was driver error, I scraped a curb. Probably did not damage the tire but it was about time anyway. Two were screws. Caught all of the issues on the TPMS. I run the same tires (different sizes) on the TV and the trailer. I feel "comfortable" with TV tires. I worry every inch of the way about the trailer tires. The only problem I have had with the trailer tire is right now one tire feels like the belt is coming loose under the tread when I run my hand around the tire. Off to get a new set Tuesday when the dealer gets the valve stems. (They have the tires). Then back to worrying as we travel to Texas for the next 2 months. I just could not make myself buy the Goodyears this time either after all those years they were bad. Maybe they are goon now but....
I submit...they were not 'tire failures' but operator 'errors'.
Not the tires fault you punctured it.

I also pooped an AS tire with curb rash.👎

POI....I have never used LT or P tires on our AS's.
The current made in USA GYE's are excellent trailer tires.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-12-2021, 08:04 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It pays to read previous posts, especially those from a "tire engineer"

Bob
����
I noticed you have an answer for everything :-

You have no Idea of my credentials.......
WHUDS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #50
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Another difference is that TV tires tend to be driven on regularly, while trailer tires tend to be parked regularly.

IMO lack of use is a contributing factor in tires failing.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:18 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
That is the calculus we all have to make with one more point to consider. A tire failure is less likely at 80 psi and a tire failure is not good for your trailer. Now is it enough less likely to make a difference? I wish I knew.
Yet tire experts have said running tires at max psi in hot weather ( as it has been) can lead to higher incidence of blowing tires, reason to deflate tires to allow the air (gas) to expand (increase psi) in these running conditions.

Maybe these experts are wrong? But I follow the science behind it. Have seen and read many others follow this advice ( including streamers) who have claimed reduction in blow outs.

Your choice.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Another difference is that TV tires tend to be driven on regularly, while trailer tires tend to be parked regularly.

IMO lack of use is a contributing factor in tires failing.
Agreed
Tires break down when sitting for long periods
Old 09-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Yet tire experts have said running tires at max psi in hot weather ( as it has been) can lead to higher incidence of blowing tires, reason to deflate tires to allow the air (gas) to expand (increase psi) in these running conditions.

Maybe these experts are wrong? But I follow the science behind it. Have seen and read many others follow this advice ( including streamers) who have claimed reduction in blow outs.

Your choice.
Cite a source. Conjecture does not count.
DCPAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #54
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:

Your choice.

Think about it, what tire expert would say that running your tire at maximum pressure is going to cause a blowout.
They wouldn't be much of a tire 'expert', would they?

FYI....The "burst" pressure for an E rated ST tire is well over 200psi.

If you so choose you can run at the sidewall max under ALL conditions without worry of high pressure structure failure.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Think about it, what tire expert would say that running your tire at maximum pressure is going to cause a blowout.
They wouldn't be much of a tire 'expert', would they?

FYI....The "burst" pressure for an E rated ST tire is well over 200psi.

If you so choose you can run at the sidewall max under ALL conditions without worry of high pressure structure failure.

Bob
����
Nice, we disagree ( on tire it does say "max psi")

( I'm an"expert" in my field yet I disagree with other experts and people who are not educated in my field disagree all the time with my opinions, way it goes)
Old 09-12-2021, 10:06 AM   #56
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Nice, we disagree ( on tire it does say "max psi")

( I'm an"expert" in my field yet I disagree with other experts and people who are not educated in my field disagree all the time with my opinions, way it goes)
No I agree.
It's rong to say the tire will 'blow' if set at sidewall max, it will not fail without a road hazard or driver brain fart input.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Interesting coincidence this thread. My storage neighbor was showing me some things on my trailer (he has a late model interstate) and we started discussing tire pressures. He pulled out some calculations he’d done where he calculated the weight on his tires (which he confirmed with CAT scale receipts), then showed me on the Goodyear endurance data sheet that his tires should be 65 PSI, not 80. I remember going through this same exercise with my motor home and after running the numbers went down in tire pressure to match the per wheel weight to the tire manufacturers chart. Resulted in a much improved ride. I’ll probably do the same with my GT after I run the numbers myself.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #58

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Winston salem , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermdtx View Post
Own a tandem axle classic and cold psi is 80 on all tires. During driving,the tpms reveals the front axle tires to be 1-3 psi higher than the rear axle. Trailer tows well. Is this normal or too much weight on front axle versus other?
First, it doesn’t seem like a significant issue, but I think you’re probably correct. Next time you see that difference, stop at a certified truck scale center and split the two axles, one each upon its own scale, while still connected to your tow vehicle. See if the front is heavier. If so, adjust your weight distribution hitch to throw more weight to the tow vehicle (which tilts the front of the trailer upwards). Then reweigh it. If that’s too much effort, don’t think twice about the problem. You could also rotate your trailer tires front to back periodically.
molympio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Tampa , Florida
Whew, I definitely don’t know any more or less upon reading this thread about tire inflation, aside from a lot of air being let out. I have gotten some great tips and help on this site. But I am beginning to be convinced that it occurs best when it a very specific problem that you are running into. Topics like what’s the best pickup or the best size AS or diesel vs gas or 4x4 vs limited slip tend to go on forever. Tomorrow I will look into getting a set of Bobcat tracks that will work on my 23 footer, I know I won’t be able to tool down the road at rocket speed but I won’t get any blowouts or flats for sure. But I don’t know about the popped rivets.
Coopdejour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Correct TP is as confusing as folks make it, if you can't figure it out it's not the tires fault, it's yours.

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, and I manage tire filling pretty well.

Get an accurate gauge and go for it....I would stay under 100psi though.

If you get it rong the tire will tell you.😂

TETO

Bob
🇺🇸