Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Arkansas
Tire Pressure Questions

We have a 2021 27FB International and have a few tire questions. What pressures do you run at? We have been running ours at 80psi and it does pretty well but do feel it feels it rides a little “high” on the road. Last leg of trip I dropped them down to 78 and it felt a little better. We don’t run near full trailer allowable weight. Also when setting your TPMS what do you set your alert at for high tire pressure and temps. I set our high pressure alert to 87 and we get lots of alerts. What is too high for the pressure? Thanks
Corley795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have a 13 31’ Classic…16” michelins..E rated..I run 68 lbs air….it has 7800#s on 4 wheels
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Tire questions

I have a 27’ Safari SE. I run 65# in my GYE’s. Tires are 4 years old. No problems in about 20000 miles.

I have an ancient TPMS that only has a low level warning. It is set at 60 psi. Has never gone off on this trailer. Worked every time on my last trailer when the Carlisle ST’s sequentially grenaded…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Futurist

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
65 PSI. A little lower gas mileage and faster tire wear, but less stress and damage to the trailer interior and contents. (Easier to replace tires than rivets and cabinets, IMHO.)

(On a Flying Cloud 27FBQ.)
ealmasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
This is along the lines of what oil due you use......

That being said....I also used 80lbs for a couple years. Items inside always moved around.
Reading up on the forum I decided to lower to 70 the last 4k trip. Worked fine in my mind. You choose what you want and it will be okay.

What I will strongly recommend are tire pressure monitors or TPS as it is called. This upgrade will pay for itself very quickly the first time a flat happens. Get it!
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lucedale , Mississippi
Hi everyone, we just want to air a problem and see if anyone else has this too. We have 18,000 mile on our airstream interstate, it is always stored in an air conditioned area except when in use and monthly pull out. My husband is meticulous with checking pressure, heat Ect on tires before And during travel. Well, guess what? 4 of the 6 tires have separation problem! This was found by chance when we brought our interstate in for a filter change. Anyone else?
MamaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I run at 60 psi on my 28FC. So much better than 80. I think I have my TPMS low pressure alarm set to 45 psi. That is the only setting I can remember off the top of my head.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Doesn’t lower pressure increase temperature and blowout risk?
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Doesn’t lower pressure increase temperature and blowout risk?
Yes, but…

That doesn’t mean you have to run at max psi.

Lower pressures can keep you from beating the camper up.

The key is, finding the right point, lower than max to prevent it from getting beaten, but high enough to be able to safely support the weight, resist tire damage, not overheat….

If you have a single-axle like mine, you’re splitting the load only between two tires, so I don’t have much room to play around: I keep mine on 70psi. I’d still be comfortable at 68, but not lower. If you have a dual axle, since you’re splitting the load between four tires, you have even more room… I’d still suggest not going under 65psi, I’d probably go 68psi myself if I had a dual-axle, but 70 would be a safe number to recommend (well, assuming quality tires in great condition, no damage, not over a few years old, etc etc)
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have a TPMS and use it religiously. I don't see anyone asking how many pounds of pressure at temperature. As you start down the road, the tire temps go up. If you are in an area that has high temperatures, you need to start with lower pressure. We recently went through temps of 105-113 degrees! I started the tires in the morning at 68 PSI. We reached 82 psi on the road.

So it is a moving number. Try to anticipate what the temps will be during the day and set your morning temperature accordingly. We began our trip at 74 psi. When we started seeing over a hundred degrees each day, we would stop to find out our interior was trashed. The pressure was in the mid to upper eighties.

When you ask,"What temperature should I run my tires?" It is not possible to say without asking how hot will it be that day.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I have a TPMS and use it religiously. I don't see anyone asking how many pounds of pressure at temperature. As you start down the road, the tire temps go up. If you are in an area that has high temperatures, you need to start with lower pressure. We recently went through temps of 105-113 degrees! I started the tires in the morning at 68 PSI. We reached 82 psi on the road.

So it is a moving number. Try to anticipate what the temps will be during the day and set your morning temperature accordingly. We began our trip at 74 psi. When we started seeing over a hundred degrees each day, we would stop to find out our interior was trashed. The pressure was in the mid to upper eighties.

When you ask,"What temperature should I run my tires?" It is not possible to say without asking how hot will it be that day.

PSI discussions are supposed to be assuming cold, before you’ve gotten on the road. You can’t accurately adjust psi once on the road and the tires have warmed up… if you want to change the psi, you are supposed to get off the road and let them cool down.
WBCCI #1051
Old 07-29-2021, 10:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
PSI discussions are supposed to be assuming cold, before you’ve gotten on the road. You can’t accurately adjust psi once on the road and the tires have warmed up… if you want to change the psi, you are supposed to get off the road and let them cool down.
Ok, so if it is 70 degrees in the morning, and you say to yourself, I'm at 72 PSI and I am fine for the day. Then the temps go up to 113 degrees and you are pushing 87-90 psi, and your trailer has all the cabinets open, you would just leave the pressure where it is?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Alta Loma , California
I personally run my 225/75R15 GYE tires at 55 psi on my 2021 27FB International. If you go by what Goodyear recommends you can run GYE tires as low as 40 psi (which is pretty low but see the attachment from Goodyear for the LOAD/INFLATION INFORMATION for the GYE tires) This is based on a trailer GVW of 7300 lbs (4 tires divided by 7300lbs max weight = 1825lbs per tire) I feel the only reason Airstream recommends 80psi is if you get a flat with your tandem axle trailer you can take off the flat tire and drive at a reduce speed, this sounds crazy but here is a quote from the Airstream owners manual

“ In an emergency, remove a flat tire. The independent suspension of the rubber torsion axle allows four- or six-wheeled units to be safely towed on three or five wheels for a short distance (100 miles maximum) and only at a low speed (30 MPH).”

If you have TPMS you probably never have to do this.

Car manufacturer’s have a sticker on the drivers door jam with the recommended tire pressure that is usually lower than the maximum pressure that is on the sidewall of the tire.

I feel there is no need to run the tire at the maximum pressure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rv_inflation.pdf (506.1 KB, 46 views)
Mikey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:45 AM   #14
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
I'm going to say this again.

The load vs inflation charts are NOT recommendations. They are MINIMUMS!!

Also, it is not unusual for there to be side to side and front to rear variation in tire loading, so depending on how the trailer is weighed, one could dangerously underinflate a tire if this variation is not considered.

Further, there is a rule of thumb that says that you should experience no more than a 10% pressure build up - excluding the effect ambient temperature has. That means that if it is 70°F in the morning and you travel to where is it 110°F (+40°F), then you would exclude 8% pressure buildup. I think this is a better way to determine the proper inflation pressure!

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:48 AM   #15
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaG View Post
Hi everyone, we just want to air a problem and see if anyone else has this too. We have 18,000 mile on our airstream interstate, it is always stored in an air conditioned area except when in use and monthly pull out. My husband is meticulous with checking pressure, heat Etc on tires before And during travel. Well, guess what? 4 of the 6 tires have separation problem! This was found by chance when we brought our interstate in for a filter change. Anyone else?
I seriously doubt that that many separations occurred. Statistics don't support that!

More likely you have an irregular wear problem which is being misinterpreted - and irregular wear is usually caused by misalignment.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Ok, so if it is 70 degrees in the morning, and you say to yourself, I'm at 72 PSI and I am fine for the day. Then the temps go up to 113 degrees and you are pushing 87-90 psi, and your trailer has all the cabinets open, you would just leave the pressure where it is?
Correct: the psi WILL go up as you travel…. My TPMS system shows both psi and temp, and I like to keep an eye on them.

If you set it at the max psi, 80, it will go up a lot further. Setting it at 70, yes, its psi is still going to go up, but not as much. If you set it even lower, say, 55psi, the psi would still go up, but you would see the temperature go up in a worse way. (Ie, don’t start with the psi too low).

But always base your psi on the cold, start of the day psi. Watch it during the day, in case of sudden loss, but otherwise, don’t adjust unless cooled back down.
WBCCI #1051
Old 07-30-2021, 05:57 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Nashville , Tennessee
There is no magic number for this: everyone has different trailers with vastly different loads on the tires, and what is safe for one person may be overkill for some and dangerous for others.

You need to consult the manufacturer's load table for your specific tire and calculate how much load each tire has, and set your PSI to something at or above the spec called out in the table for that weight (usually smart to build a 20% safety margin in on top).

Case in point: my 16RB has GYE tires rated for a *max* of 80PSI, but at 80 they are able to bear a load that's the same as my entire trailer *per tire*. At 2000lbs load per tire (still 500lbs over my trailer GVWR) I can run at 50PSI perfectly safely and my ride quality (and trailer interior and contents) will thank me for it.
NeonFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I'm going to say this again.

Also, it is not unusual for there to be side to side and front to rear variation in tire loading, so depending on how the trailer is weighed, one could dangerously underinflate a tire if this variation is not considered.

Further, there is a rule of thumb that says that you should experience no more than a 10% pressure build up - excluding the effect ambient temperature has. That means that if it is 70°F in the morning and you travel to where is it 110°F (+40°F), then you would exclude 8% pressure buildup. I think this is a better way to determine the proper inflation pressure!

This! Yes...

Back to what turk123 asked me: I set my psi when it's cold, so that once it's warm, it's where I want it to be (ie, not all the way up to 80psi).
WBCCI #1051
Old 07-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
With all due respect, I just got done looking at the Goodyear inflation chart and nowhere did the word 'minimum' appear.
Did the tire experts think we'd know it was unspoken?
If I designed a tire inflation chart, and I was talking minimums, I'd put 'minimum' in the text, no?
I'm just asking.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
With all due respect, I just got done looking at the Goodyear inflation chart and nowhere did the word 'minimum' appear.

Did the tire experts think we'd know it was unspoken?

If I designed a tire inflation chart, and I was talking minimums, I'd put 'minimum' in the text, no?

I'm just asking.

The chart says maximum load at a given pressure. Logically the converse would be true where for a given load the number is the minimum pressure.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote