Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
... I used my two sets of four individual wheel weight scales to ascertain the actual weights by location on the trailer......
Switz, tell us a little more about the individual wheel weight scales. Where did you get them? How expensive are they? How exactly do you use them, do you jack up one wheel at a time and put the scale under the tires one side and then the other? If you have four of them you must have all four deployed at once.

I have a tongue weight scale that works great, but this is the first I have heard about individual wheel scales, so tell us everything about them. Thanks +dcasr

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As mentioned in the first sentence in my post, the trailer was not connected to the tow vehicle. Those numbers reflect it just parked on a level surface all by itself.

The scales are the 5,000 pound model per scale with one pound increments in the read out. One needs to contact those folks to see if they still make that version and acquire about current pricing. I have two sets of four scales and each set has it's own control head and printout capability.

http://www.scaleline.com/pww-13k.htm

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
...The scales are the 5,000 pound model per scale with one pound increments in the read out. One needs to contact those folks to see if they still make that version and acquire about current pricing. I have two sets of four scales and each set has it's own control head and printout capability.http://www.scaleline.com/pww-13k.htm

Thanks. You are most fortunate to have those, but they are going to be too pricey for me unless I stumble across a suitcase full of money. If I was working in an industry where I could write them off as a business expense, maybe, but at my age and in retirement, probably not.

Anyway, what you did in weighing each tire unhooked has to be the gold standard for getting an exact picture of what each tire has to deal with.

+dcasr

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
It is possible to get individual tire weights using standard truck platform scales Here is worksheet and instructions.
Possible locations

Note that many CAT scales do not allow one side weighing so you may find local feed mill or gravel pit a better option.

The example above is of a reasonably well balanced RV. Few are split 50/50 and some can be as bad as 45/55 between axles and even side to side. The closer you are to GAWR when you get just full axle scale reading the more important it is to get individual side weights.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote