Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Most, if not all, TV OEM mfrs use sensors which have a motion switch incorporated in them. That's why they have an estimated life of 10 years. I am unaware of any of the valve stem sensors which are switched, thus the shorter battery life. They switch on whenever there is air pressure applied (installed on the stem). That's why I remove mine whenever parked for more than a day or so.
I left the Hawks head sensors on our TV for nearly a year without changing the batteries. I only changed them when I did because it was convenient. They had not yet stopped functioning. However, our truck only gets driven a few times a week when not towing. Since we have three vehicles for two drivers, the truck only gets about 8000 miles a year. I take the sensors off the trailer when it is in storage only for security. The TV without the trailer will cause the control unit to alarm every once in a while, but it is really not a nuisance.

If you mark which wheel the sensors came from and place them back in the same place you do not have to set them up again. However setup is pretty straight forward and doesn't take much time.

I haven't taken the time to figure out why the control unit usually doesn't mind that the trailer isn't there, but every once iin a while does.

If I take the sensors off the trailer and leave them on the truck, it seems to go more smoothly if the trailer is not in range of the truck when I do.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
i am not sure why a system would have a motion switch in the sensors because that would mean you would not get a signal of a low tire until after you were on the road.

I attempted to use the Fleet Specialties system, a system designed for the over the road industry. with very poor luck.

I would get a low pressure indication on one tire every day the morning temperature was below 35 degrees. That sensor was replaced. On the road I got low pressure indications from 2 tires that were in fact above the set point. All 10 sensors were sent back and replaced but I have no faith in the system so it sits on the shelf.

As for battery life and removing the units when not in use. You should have to put an isolator ape or paper between the unit and the battery or the unit will be transmitting a low signal until the battery dies. The sensors are energized as long as the shipping isolator is removed they will draw full radio transmission current.

From my experience and the comments here I do not thing this technology has been perfected to a point that warrants buying a system. I think I have cut my losses at this point to the original purchase price.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #63
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
From my experience and the comments here I do not thing this technology has been perfected to a point that warrants buying a system. I think I have cut my losses at this point to the original purchase price.
Howie, for me, having a Hawkshead system for only one 6000 mi. trip this summer has more than paid for the system. One could cut the loss of a wheel well with just one incident of a tire going flat and thump thump thumping its way through and around your wheel well.

On this one trip the system alerted me to a slow leak that I watched for several days and then decided it must be real. Turned out to be a roofing nail after going through tornado repair areas around N. Alabama. The tech advised if I had kept running on it, that it surely would have eventually torn up the tire.........

2 Blowouts going across 4 corners area surely alerted me in time to get pulled over almost immediately and averted any damage...........All this to say, if you have never seen or experienced wheel well damage and the thousands to fix or repair.........having a TPMS is small change......Do what YOU need to do........God bless.......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Dennis

I am happy that you have had good luck with your system and hope most others will be able to post the same results. However i feel obligated to post my results especially when they are so far from what one would have expected from a Safety Product.

Just yesterday I had a conversation with another member in my unit and his results were along the same lines as mine. Different manufacture but not good results thus my comment on the technology.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
i feel the same than you... if you can't rely on a system to work flawless, what's the point of false security?

i might be ok with using it if i would just know that it might not alert me when disaters strikes, but worse in my case consistent false warnings (low battery, no sensor) made it impossible to keep the system on after repeated and fruitless attempts to resolve the problem...

so my point is the system was so faulty that i had to turn it off and remove sensors because i didn't want to hear the beeping anymore and be alerted that on of my tires had no pressure/or signal

who was it again who wanted to by some brandnew sensors from me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
i feel the same than you... if you can't rely on a system to work flawless, what's the point of false security?

i might be ok with using it if i would just know that it might not alert me when disaters strikes, but worse in my case consistent false warnings (low battery, no sensor) made it impossible to keep the system on after repeated and fruitless attempts to resolve the problem...

so my point is the system was so faulty that i had to turn it off and remove sensors because i didn't want to hear the beeping anymore and be alerted that on of my tires had no pressure/or signal

who was it again who wanted to by some brandnew sensors from me?
What TPMS were using?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
What TPMS were using?

Ken
hawskhead HD (with user exchangeables batteries)
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #68
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have used PressurePro for years now with never a problem. The system has saved my possible trailer damage twice and I would not be without it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
hawskhead HD (with user exchangeables batteries)

That's what I have and they have worked flawlessly for 2500 miles and saved my bacon on 2 occasions with flats.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote