Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
... are easily stolen or vandalized.
I would prefer one that straps to the inside on the rim.
My buddy had his internal ones stolen tires and all.
The thief left 3 blocks, a cheap jack, a wrench and a pile of lug nuts
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #22

2005 28' International CCD
Seguin , Texas
I have used the SmartTire system for several years and on three trailers as well as my tow truck. They tell you the tire pressure and temperature. Recently, while towing my Airstream, the alarm sounded and showed the tire pressure to be 36(I maintain at 65). Fortunately, I was a half block from a tire repair shop so just pulled in and fixed the problem which required a new tire. I have never had any problems with the system and I travel around 25K miles/year.
rvham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Well I finally took the plunge...ordered PressurePros for the Bambi (single axle) from 68 Overlander by phone...They should be here in time for a long weeknd trip this weekend...I wanted to get them for this trip as a trial run before our longer after-Chirstmas-through-New-Year's trip... Our truck has a factory tire pressure monitoring system of its own, so just got sensors for 2 wheels... I think I'm going to feel al whole lot better if I know I'm losing pressure in a tire before it's too late. Parannoid? Maybe. Prudent. Yes. I'll let you know how they perform on this trial run.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
PressurePro TPMonitor and Sensors arrived today! (Purchased from 68 Overlander...) Yea! Installation is a snap and we are making a trial run with them tomorrow for a long weekend. So cool to be able to hit a button and see what the tire pressure is... I'll report back as to how they performed.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 12-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
TB,

You will soon have another system along with the Pressure Pro to choose from: one that does not need to be removed to change the tire pressure, one that not only gives you a low tire warning, but tells you if the pressure is too high, if you have a slow leak in that tire, and the best part........what the temperature if the tire is.

I'm completing the beta testing on this system, and should have my final results in a week or so...........................STAY TUNED!
Lew, how's the testing coming along?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
inquiring minds wanna know

flop, flop, flop,

Hey, I think we gotta flat
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Testing is going well, but I have to put the little buggars thru some extremes, so this week I'll be freezing them and then baking them to simuate zero *F usage, and also 120*F temps. They have already been submerged and driven in a few downpours.

If they still work after that, I'll post shots of the system, prices, etc.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Curb whacking

Lew, don't forget to whack them against the curb a few times as well as drop a lug wrench on them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Lew, don't forget to whack them against the curb a few times as well as drop a lug wrench on them.

Gene
I would include that in the test, but I don't think my new alloy wheels would appreciate it!

I'll just smack them a few times with a rubber mallet to simulate the shock. Doesn't leave any permanent marks....don't ya know!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
PressurePro TPMonitor and Sensors arrived today! (Purchased from 68 Overlander...) Yea! Installation is a snap and we are making a trial run with them tomorrow for a long weekend. So cool to be able to hit a button and see what the tire pressure is... I'll report back as to how they performed.

TB
Back from our long weekend with the new PressurePro sensors in place. Now mind you, we only have 2 sensors (a Bambi and the truck has its own factory system), but I gotta tell ya, I was/am really pleased with its performance. What a treat to be able to press a button and get the pressure reading on a specific tire while in motion...easy to install, easy to program the monitor, easy to read, and easy to remove and re-install as needed. The cold tire pressure of 65 lbs increased to 70 lbs on the interstate and stayed there until we got there (120 mi at 65 mph max) and as soon as the tires rested, the pressure headed back to 65 lbs.

The PressurePros are actually better than the Tacoma's system because the factory system just tells you there's a pressure loss...it doesn't tell which tire or what the actual pressure is.

By the way, 68 Overlander told me that if we remove the sensors when we are not towing their battery life (est 3.5 yrs) will be increased.

Being able to monitor the pressure actually made for a better trip knowing that if there was a problem I would know in time to get off the road and deal with it before I had no tire pressure at all. And of course, I know that they won't help in the event of a sudden pressure loss due to an instant blow-out or hitting something in the road, but as I understand it, the vast majority of tire failures are events that begin slowly and reach a critical stage before it's realized that a problem exists. And if you were towing a multi-axle trailer, chances are even higher that you'd not realize you had a problem until it was too late...or until that motorist passes you frantically pointing to your hind side.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
I've been using PressurePro for about 3 years. Bought it for my motorhome (8 wheels) and am using it on my boat trailer and my cars when I don't go camping. Checking the tire pressure at 75 MPH is real pleasure. Airstreams are metal coaches, what makes them pretty rigid, but lot of "particle board and fiberglass" coaches have been reporting $5000 damages from blown tire. I will not even go into accidents when the propane tubing going on the top of the wheel well got broken. The system is very accurate and without going outside you can tell by pressure difference which wheel is exposed to the sun heat.
I heard about couple of incidents when the sensor were stolen, but the point is, that the sensors work ALL THE TIME. When somebody will remove the sensor you'll have immediate alarm. They send the signal every 5 minutes and the batteries suppose to last 5 years. When the pressure drop below 20% the warning signal goes more often and at about 40% the alarm becomes constant. If you ignore the signals, the batteries will drain faster, but the chip will turn the sensor off after few minutes. The system is very advanced and I love it. The only precaution comes from system perfection. If you install the system during the day, with warmer temperatures, you are going to have warning coming up on cold morning. So to make it work without glitches you have to get up earlier.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
I've been using PressurePro for about 3 years. Bought it for my motorhome (8 wheels) and am using it on my boat trailer and my cars when I don't go camping. Checking the tire pressure at 75 MPH is real pleasure. Airstreams are metal coaches, what makes them pretty rigid, but lot of "particle board and fiberglass" coaches have been reporting $5000 damages from blown tire. I will not even go into accidents when the propane tubing going on the top of the wheel well got broken. The system is very accurate and without going outside you can tell by pressure difference which wheel is exposed to the sun heat.
I heard about couple of incidents when the sensor were stolen, but the point is, that the sensors work ALL THE TIME. When somebody will remove the sensor you'll have immediate alarm. They send the signal every 5 minutes and the batteries suppose to last 5 years. When the pressure drop below 20% the warning signal goes more often and at about 40% the alarm becomes constant. If you ignore the signals, the batteries will drain faster, but the chip will turn the sensor off after few minutes. The system is very advanced and I love it. The only precaution comes from system perfection. If you install the system during the day, with warmer temperatures, you are going to have warning coming up on cold morning. So to make it work without glitches you have to get up earlier.
Just to clarify the specifications....... the first low pressure warning is at 12.5% pressure drop with the second coming at 25% drop.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
There is now a high pressure warning on the PressurePro system. The high pressure alert comes set at 24% from the factory. In the newer monitors, the upper level of alert can be set by the customer at different levels over the set point or turned off. This is just an extra safety alert to let you know you may have a bearing or brake problem or too much weight on a tire that is causing the tire to heat up excessively.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
so this week I'll be freezing them and then baking them
lew, will you be serving brownies too?

i'll be curious to hear the test results as i'll be getting one of the monitoring systems. thanks for the work.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcFall
There is now a high pressure warning on the PressurePro system. The high pressure alert comes set at 24% from the factory. In the newer monitors, the upper level of alert can be set by the customer at different levels over the set point or turned off. This is just an extra safety alert to let you know you may have a bearing or brake problem or too much weight on a tire that is causing the tire to heat up excessively.
Trying to think how this is accomplished? My guess is, that the warning is in pad software, meaning old sensors can be used?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Trying to think how this is accomplished? My guess is, that the warning is in pad software, meaning old sensors can be used?
I'm assuming by "pad software", you mean the Monitor. If so, that is correct. The new version of the PressurePro Monitor has the high pressure alert so old Sensors can be used.

Pat
Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We just returned from an 11-day trip up to the Lower Colorado River below Lake Havasu and north of Parker, AZ...this was our first trip of any length with our new PressurePro system in place...we are very pleased...it is a huge comfort to be able to press a button and see what the pressure on a given tire is while we are driving... the peace of mind is substantial, particularly because we have a single-axle AS.

The system will, of course, not prevent tire issues but it will give you some warning that something is amiss, and from what I understand, the vast majority of tire failures are due to a drop in tire pressure over an extended period of time that eventally becomes critical...then you have a shredding tire or complete loss of presure, and potentially lots of other problems to work through. The system give you early warning and enough time to find a safe place to stop and take action before it's too late...

Happy campers we are...

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
One more prize for PressurePro. It saved my B*** from quite a nasty situation.
I had 6 people in my station wagon, while driving on Las Vegas Strip. At 120F outside, strong wind and usual extremely heavy traffic there I had pressure alarm coming on center lane in standing traffic in front of Treasure Island.
For those not familiar with Las Vegas >>> you can't imagine worse scenario for flat tire.
So thanks to PressurePro display, I was able to determinate that pressure drop was very slow and even 10 minutes later I still had 22 psi. With that knowledge I was able to drive confidently to the hotel, let my passengers go and replace the wheel in the comfort of underground garage.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
One more vote for the Pressure Pro

I ordered my Pressure Pro system for my 2007 25' FB Airstream Safari and GMC Sierra 2500HD from www.pressureprosystem.com before going on our trip from NJ to FL. While driving on Rte 95 in Georgia we picked up a hunk of metal in our truck's rear left tire and the Pressure Pro system alerted us of the drop in air pressure. We were able to find a safe spot to pull over and get the tire changed. I would not want to tow the Airstream without the Pressure pro system.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
2dabeach: Can you post a picture of where you mounted the display on your GMC 3/4 ton TV? Thanks.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote