Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2002, 09:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Tire opinion

OK all you tire wizards, I need an opinion or two. Two months ago, we bought a 1971 23 foot Safari. I have been busy making some repairs and changes inside. I am now outside and soon will be on the road. I have inspected and adjusted the brakes, repacked the bearings. The trailer had new tires when we got it. Didn't look like they had been 20 miles. My question is to the quality and reliability of the tires. Tire specs: Laramie brand, Radial A/P, Performer LT, Radial belted, Load range C, LT 235/75R15. We plan to used the trailer locally this fall during moderate weather and late fall and winter for hunting trips. Maximum trip will be 300 miles. Next spring we will venture out a little further to get used to the trailer. Are the above tires OK for the uses I have stated?
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 10:31 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Opinion

Hi Dan,

There is a tread going about this subject. ST versus LT.
Going by the specs you gave, the load range is ok.My owner's manual specifies load range C as a minimum.
I am unfamiliar with Laramie tires.
Theoretically, a trailer should have ST type tires on it. There are many stories on this subject. If you have doubts, buy new ST tires.
However, I did buy new tires, ordered bias ply ST tires, got LT tires instad, and was told by the tire company that their bias ply ST tires are the same as LT tires.
My humble advice would be to inspect the tires often for damage and make sure the inflation pressure is even and to the correct psi. And make sure that they are balanced perfectly.
These old wheels are very heavy, an imbalance can do damage to your trailer and/or it's contents.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
More tire stuff

Dan,

Based on the tire size that you gave, here is what I know.

It's a radial. Your trailer most likely came with bias-ply tires. All this means is there is less rolling restistance. (yeah! easier to pull and better fuel economy) However, the side wall may be softer. So you may have trailer sway issues, under certain situations. *** And more things than tire side wall stiffness can effect sway.

It is an LT vs an ST. So this tire is suited for a light truck. An ST is built specifically for a trailer. Again my understanding is this has more to do with sidewall stiffness than anything else. However this tire has other charastics that improve traction. Unlike a ST tire. Never use an ST tire on drive wheels. (For a vehicle)

The "C" load range is what is required for the load that you have. If you want to be sure, look at the side wall. It will give you a max load range at max inflation. Find that # and multiply it by the # of tires on the trailer. Do not exceed that # for total trailer weight.

Lastly the 235/75 is a shorter and wider tire than what came with the trailer.

My recommendation, if it fits in the wheel well and when towing at highway speeds it does not sway, they are keepers.

Oh last thing, make sure the sidewall is not checked.

The tires should last you a long time. The sidewalls will be cracked before the tread wears out. That is when to replace the tires.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-16-2002, 03:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Tires

Uwe & action,
Thanks for the quick replies. Since the tires are new, I will keep the tires for this fall, winter and early spring of next year and use them here in Tennessee. Then I will decide if they are to be replaced. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks to both of you.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 03:32 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Tire opinion

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=1392

also,

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=1389

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 05:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

LT vs ST tires

I put 700r15 LR D Toyo M-53 (highway rib) LT radials on my 73 29' Ambassador this spring. Have pulled it over 7K miles, MT to AK and return. Head winds, crosswinds, one hard stop for a deer in the road. Up hill, down hill. Passing and passed by all sizes of RVs and trucks.
No handling problems what-so-ever.
Tow vehicle is a 74 IH 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup.
I put the 700-15s on for their ride height and the fact that I believe, based on what I have read here and elsewhere and been told by several tire dealers that the LT is a better quality tire than the ST.
Some Goodyear Wranglers are listed on the GY website and suitable for trailer use.
I aired all tires, truck and trailer to max. 65 trailer and 80 on the pickup (235/85 R16 LR E). May try running less pressure in the trailer tires but I learned long ago that truck tires or LT tires when under load cause less trouble if run at max psi.

Dan Phariss
Dan Phariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Tires

Hi Dan,
Just wondering if you'd care to share with us what was the price of your TOYO tires?
I'm using TOYO as well here but, mine are the 700-15 M54 ST tires which I bought in El Paso, TX., several yrs ago. As I remember, they cost slightly over $600 for 4 new tires plus, the wheel bearing repacked as well.
thanks,
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Toyo price

As I recall, not looking up the paper work, it was about $120 each. I bought 5 wheels too and can't remember what the total was.

Dan
Dan Phariss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 07:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
ref

Thanks Dan,
that sounds abt right. Amazin that the prices haven't changed too much. By the way, mine are still holding up well..

ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:46 PM   #10
hex

Question Another trailer tire question.

The 1974 service manual shows three choices for tires on the Airstream Travel trailers of that year.

700 x 15 6ply
700 x 15 8ply
700 x 15-XC 6ply

There is also a mention of a Michelin tire and tube 6ply.

The 8plys are for the single axle. the 6plys for the tandems.

Anyone have any idea what the XC was?
Same question as to reason for tire & tube?

thanks
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 07:40 AM   #11
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Tires

Hex,

Tires have changed a bunch since that date. And Airstream trailer owners have been known to go to foriegn countries that are not as technology advanced as the US. As an example back then, radial tires were just about to be introduced for passenger cars here. So tire and tube set up was not that uncommon. Today it is unheard of in this country for passenger cars/trucks and trailers. And tire sizing and ratings have changed since then.

As to the XC, I do not have that answer. I would suggest asking a tire dealer that has been around for awhile.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-24-2002, 01:31 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

How about..

XC= Cross Country as in offroad type of tire????

By the way. I just put some Michelin Load Range "E" tires on my 3/4 Ton Suburban. They were aired up to 65 PSI at the tire dealer. I felt like I was driving on ball bearings or ice, and complained to Michelin. They said that there was too much air in the tires and that I should only have 45 in the rears and 35 in the fronts, even while towing. The tire ratings at this PSI were well within the requirements of the truck and TT. I could put the truck AND the TT on one tire if it was inflated to its max of 80 PSI. "E"'s were overkill for me. Next time I will go to "D" range.

The Suburban handles XLNT at the lower pressure. Michelin also said that if you run at the higher pressure without a high load you will get poor handleing and a very stiff ride.

Ciao, Brian
Old 11-25-2002, 07:39 AM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I always run tires on my heavy vehicles that have the rating that is specified by the manufacturer, and theninflate to the manufacturer's recommendations, not the max pressure as indicated on the sidewall. I experience excellent handling from my van, empty or loaded, towing or not. I run GoodYear HT's load range E 245/75/16 size (16x8 wheelsize) on a 1 ton Dodge van.