Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Tire Cover Idea

Given the relative low volume of threads on this topic (including one from 13 years ago that references a Zip Dee product for this purpose) I'm going to venture before asking there are hundreds of reasons not to do this.

But here goes.

I have 4 of those "Adco" tire covers. You know, tan like an SOB would want on its tires, weird fake pleather fabric with fuzzy polyester backing that wraps around your tire and a long Velcro strip you have to thread behind the tire to catch on the other side to keep it on during wind.

They work. And this is a first world problem for sure, but sheesh what a pain in the butt when you come back from a long trip and just want to unhitch and run.

I was thinking - it would be GREAT if I had a snap on "curtain" of sorts I could just unfurl and snap on in seconds - whether for long term parking or even when at a campsite (I never put the Adcos on while camping but the sun hits the tires while camping too &#128515.

I'm guessing no one has done this since I can't find it with Google and perhaps for good reason. But what do folks here think?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Old airstreams have easy snap on stripe covers, not sure how they work in wind. I only use my covers for the winter. We r always on the mover in the Summer
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I've seen pics of older, more permanently parked Airstreams with skirting, but I don't remember where. Here is a link to a person who had skirting installed an his Airstream. The pic shows the wheel well skirting that uses boat curtain fasteners around the wheel well. Is this kind of what you are thinking of?https://chinesebuffalo.files.wordpre.../dsc_00171.jpg
Old 05-26-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Something like that, TinShack - yes, thanks. Only no skirting around the entire trailer, just at the wheel wells - and I wouldn't want to rivet the snaps into the shell itself but in to the wheel trim that frames the wheel well.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
You could make them long enough, or sew some tabs on them, so you can park the wheels on them, and then just fold them up to snap in place in the wheel wells. This would keep them from flapping in the wind.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Also a good idea, TinShack!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinShack View Post
You could make them long enough, or sew some tabs on them, so you can park the wheels on them, and then just fold them up to snap in place in the wheel wells. This would keep them from flapping in the wind.
Or put some weight in the bottom of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I have 4 of those "Adco" tire covers. You know, tan like an SOB would want on its tires, weird fake pleather fabric with fuzzy polyester backing that wraps around your tire and a long Velcro strip you have to thread behind the tire to catch on the other side to keep it on during wind.

They work. And this is a first world problem for sure, but sheesh what a pain in the butt when you come back from a long trip and just want to unhitch and run.
I have those, too, but mine are white. I usually only use them when I know we're not going to be camping for a while, such as when I winterize - and even then I sometimes forget or never get around to installing them.

There's a third option: Spray on tire cleaners have UV blockers, too. Spray and done. You'll have to redo it every few weeks, but then if you're really worried about the sun on the tires while camping, they'll be protected already. And on the road.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
My white covers drop over the tires and have a short piece on the inside that holds them on. look like this one.
No velcro or other strap needed.

I published test results showing the advantage of using tire covers vs no cover on my blog.

I have seen flat "screen" material used on some Class-A units. The open mesh lets cool air circulate to keep the temperature down.

People talk a lot about UV but high temperature can damage the tire structure while UV might only damage the outside tire surface.

Solid black covers are worse than no cover as they heat the tire and prevent cooling air from circulating
Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Snap on tire covers are comon on white box trailers. At least down here in my neck of the woods. I use the double covers, easy on and off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	240057  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Spray on "UV" protectant does nothing to prevent the tires from cooking in the sun.

This "backing" can contribute to tread separations.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have TST tire sensors. The last few days I have been monitoring the air pressure and temp. The temp behind my covers on both sides has been averaging 12 degrees below ambient (in the low 90s during the day). Tells me that they are providing good over temp protection.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
AWCHIEF - what brand are yours? I've seen several - do yours have fabric that goes over the tops of the tires down behind them? I can see how the tandem cover would be less prone to wind problems. That could work - or that Rube Goldberg plan I'm cooking up might happen 😃
Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use the large cover that goes over the tandem wheels as well, giving good air flow between them. The wheels are spoke design to allow air flow through them. They are black, maybe grey is available next time, can't stand to look at white wheel covers on the Airstream.

So they don't blow off in the wind we run a bungee front to back in the furnished grommets.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
AWCHIEF - what brand are yours? I've seen several - do yours have fabric that goes over the tops of the tires down behind them? I can see how the tandem cover would be less prone to wind problems. That could work - or that Rube Goldberg plan I'm cooking up might happen ��
From Camping World, they go over the top of the tires and have grommets. They fit snug enough that I normally do not tie them down. If a storm or excessive high winds come along I have a couple of bungee cords to use. So far have not needed them.

Overdrive RV Dual Axle Tire Cover - Tire diameter 27-30", Grey - Classic Accessories 80-108-041001-00 - Tire Covers - Camping World

Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks.

So I'll try to describe the Rube plan. I gave up on the snaps idea - just hate the idea of drilling holes in the Tin Goat.

So - I'm imagining a rectangular vinyl fabric with a weighted pole on top that would be draped over the top of the tires and drop down to the axles while the rest of the fabric comes back over the tops of the tires and hangs down to the ground.

To keep them attached and not bothered by wind, I'm thinking one of the following:

A) make them long enough so you drive over the vinyl bottom part then roll up the vinyl from the bottom to the top and place the weighted rod over the tops of the tires, or,

B) have a bungee attached to each end of the pole that attaches to a grommet on the sides of the vinyl covering the tires, or

C) another weighted pole sewn across the bottom part of the vinyl cover.

Of course - the tandem you shared in the link seems pretty darn simple 😃
Old 06-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like a project just for the heck of it. I do silly things like that all the time. I usually end up spending twice as much as the store bought version plus all the time involved. My time is cheap these days so no issue there.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Tire Cover Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

Would you please clarify by what you meant here? What backing? The stuff on the back of the tire covers? If that's what you meant, would you please expand on how it hurts the tire?

I ask because we just had two blowouts in one day, and I had put our covers on for a few weeks over the winter.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Harbor Freight has their white canvas tire covers bargain priced ... they work well for us.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Spray on "UV" protectant does nothing to prevent the tires from cooking in the sun.

Sorry I intended to say the baking as in cooking in the heat trapped by solid black covers.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Would you please clarify by what you meant here? What backing? The stuff on the back of the tire covers? If that's what you meant, would you please expand on how it hurts the tire?

I ask because we just had two blowouts in one day, and I had put our covers on for a few weeks over the winter.
Backing baking answered above.

RE "Blowouts" This term is commonly used to describe a tire that is actually a sidewal flex failure from running low pressure. It only takes a few miles for this to happen. Examples below

Close examination will usually find some melted body ply cord

which is physical evidence of the tire having been operated significantly under-inflated at highway speed.