Miami , Florida
Tire care

How long can tires be stationary before damage occurs
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
For ever, as long as the vehicle is stationary.

For moving vehicles tires are good for 4 to 8 years depending on factors and opinions.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
For ever, as long as the vehicle is stationary.

For moving vehicles tires are good for 4 to 8 years depending on factors and opinions.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Maybe not quite forever but a lot longer....off the ground. 👍
I store...

Also helps the torsion axles from 'setting'.
During the Season...off the concrete and covered, helps keep them dry, moving as often as possible keeps the oils moving.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Found this in a forum search:

Goodyear does not state a specific replacement age for RV tires because there are many conditions that dictate a tire's life span. Some factors that influence how long a tire will last are:

Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life
Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
Usage in warmer climates can also impact a tire's overall life due to greater extreme ozone exposure

Maybe that helps with your review. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
When I bought my new '17 26U it had GYM tires on it. I don't like those tires. I bought 16" aluminum wheels and Michelins and installed immediately. Now, I have traded the 26U for a new '19 Globetrotter 27'. I kept the 16" wheels / Michelins and installed them on the new GT. My question concerns the storage of the new GY Endurance tires / wheels until I decide to reinstall them after the Michelins wear out. Is it better to store these tires uninflated or with minimal air or at full air pressure ?? My shop is heated and air conditioned. Also does wood between the tires and cement floor for storage make a difference ??

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Likely with some air so the rubber doesn't set. If you can cover them so UV damage is kept to a low amount.

However tires will age out no matter what the use. And no matter how stored.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
When I bought my new '17 26U it had GYM tires on it. I don't like those tires. I bought 16" aluminum wheels and Michelins and installed immediately. Now, I have traded the 26U for a new '19 Globetrotter 27'. I kept the 16" wheels / Michelins and installed them on the new GT. My question concerns the storage of the new GY Endurance tires / wheels until I decide to reinstall them after the Michelins wear out. Is it better to store these tires uninflated or with minimal air or at full air pressure ?? My shop is heated and air conditioned. Also does wood between the tires and cement floor for storage make a difference ??

Dan
Dan,

First, storing tires is generally a bad idea. Rubber deteriorates over time, so unless you are planning on reinstalling those tires in the next 2 or 3 years, you might be further ahead to sell them.

But if you decide to keep them, take as much of the air out of them as you can. Store them sidewall to sidewall with wood between them - especially the bottom assembly between the floor and the tires. (I'm assuming you are keeping the tires mounted.)

Cover them with a tarp or something breathable. Keep them away from source of ozone (electric motors) and heat. Inside the shop in a dark corner is a good idea.

Please visit my website: https://www.barrystiretech.com/index.html
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Thank you for the replies Action and CapriRacer. It would be a better idea to sell the GYE and then when the time comes, to replace the Michelins. It would also be less clutter in my shop which seems to be more and more of a problem the older I get !!!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote