Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
meandher
 
2019 30' Classic
Miami , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 70
Tire care

How long can tires be stationary before damage occurs
Docv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,725
Images: 13
For ever, as long as the vehicle is stationary.

For moving vehicles tires are good for 4 to 8 years depending on factors and opinions.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,047
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
For ever, as long as the vehicle is stationary.

For moving vehicles tires are good for 4 to 8 years depending on factors and opinions.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Maybe not quite forever but a lot longer....off the ground. 👍
I store...

Also helps the torsion axles from 'setting'.
During the Season...off the concrete and covered, helps keep them dry, moving as often as possible keeps the oils moving.


Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master
 
PKI's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,890
Found this in a forum search:


Goodyear does not state a specific replacement age for RV tires because there are many conditions that dictate a tire's life span. Some factors that influence how long a tire will last are:

Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life
Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
Usage in warmer climates can also impact a tire's overall life due to greater extreme ozone exposure

Maybe that helps with your review. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 434
When I bought my new '17 26U it had GYM tires on it. I don't like those tires. I bought 16" aluminum wheels and Michelins and installed immediately. Now, I have traded the 26U for a new '19 Globetrotter 27'. I kept the 16" wheels / Michelins and installed them on the new GT. My question concerns the storage of the new GY Endurance tires / wheels until I decide to reinstall them after the Michelins wear out. Is it better to store these tires uninflated or with minimal air or at full air pressure ?? My shop is heated and air conditioned. Also does wood between the tires and cement floor for storage make a difference ??


Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,725
Images: 13
Likely with some air so the rubber doesn't set. If you can cover them so UV damage is kept to a low amount.

However tires will age out no matter what the use. And no matter how stored.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
CapriRacer
 
CapriRacer's Avatar
 
I'm in the , US
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
When I bought my new '17 26U it had GYM tires on it. I don't like those tires. I bought 16" aluminum wheels and Michelins and installed immediately. Now, I have traded the 26U for a new '19 Globetrotter 27'. I kept the 16" wheels / Michelins and installed them on the new GT. My question concerns the storage of the new GY Endurance tires / wheels until I decide to reinstall them after the Michelins wear out. Is it better to store these tires uninflated or with minimal air or at full air pressure ?? My shop is heated and air conditioned. Also does wood between the tires and cement floor for storage make a difference ??


Dan
Dan,

First, storing tires is generally a bad idea. Rubber deteriorates over time, so unless you are planning on reinstalling those tires in the next 2 or 3 years, you might be further ahead to sell them.

But if you decide to keep them, take as much of the air out of them as you can. Store them sidewall to sidewall with wood between them - especially the bottom assembly between the floor and the tires. (I'm assuming you are keeping the tires mounted.)

Cover them with a tarp or something breathable. Keep them away from source of ozone (electric motors) and heat. Inside the shop in a dark corner is a good idea.
__________________
CapriRacer

Please visit my website: https://www.barrystiretech.com/index.html
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 434
Thank you for the replies Action and CapriRacer. It would be a better idea to sell the GYE and then when the time comes, to replace the Michelins. It would also be less clutter in my shop which seems to be more and more of a problem the older I get !!!


Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Care while parked winter storage wimpy Classic Motorhomes 2 03-13-2018 01:38 PM
Tire Care When Parked Long Term Airboutique Full-Timing 13 02-14-2018 08:34 AM
Anyone care to admit you are pulling 34' with an Expedition? Kistler Tow Vehicles 17 02-19-2004 01:32 PM
THOR Customer Care Roadside Assistance? Kistler On The Road... 5 09-27-2003 07:47 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.