Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Sioux Falls , SD
Tire advice for newbie

We just purchased a 2016 23FB Flying Cloud with original GYM ST215 75R14. We are the second owners. The trailer was lightly used and kept in heated storage for five years. The stamp on the tires indicate they were manufactured in August of 2015. There is lots of tread left and there are no cracks in the rubber. We plan short trips locally and a longer extended trip to Montana from SD this summer. My inclination is to use these tires for one season with no TPMS being careful to stay at 65mph or lower with frequent stops and checks on the tires. After this season I would purchase new GYE ST215 75R14 and clamp on metal stems adding a TPMS. I would then follow the advice in the tires forum by increasing pressure by 10lbs so I could travel at speeds up to 70mph. I can't see driving any faster than that but on the long open stretches of highway between SD and the Mountain west where most of our travels will be I know it will be hard to keep it to 65mph. Is the plan sound or are the Marathons questionable enough so that I should immediately replace? It seems that most of the failures I have read of involve the 15 in Marathons and maybe this is becuse of heavier loads than the 14 in Marathons. Any advice would be appreciated. We had a Blue Ox Sway Pro installed by an Airstream Dealer so I think we are good in that department.

Big_Gar
South Dakota
2016 23FB Flying Cloud
2012 Chevy Silverado 5.3 Vortec
Big_Gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
The cost of a possible tire failure on the GYM far exceeds the value of getting one more year of use out of them. A blow out would really put a dent in your vacation plans. Watch this video ()

I'd get new tires ASAP.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My opinion is that you would be making a serious mistake to use those tires for even one trip. To me the potential for damage due to a tire failure is far greater than the value of the use of them for a year. The kinds of driving you describe require good tires, which even at their best, the GYM's were not. I would suggest immediately replacing the tires with the new GYE. Do all the other stuff later as your budget allows. To me the TPS is way more of an optional purchase than good tires. And for me the external sensors work fine so they can be added at any time.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Here's a GYM that was on my boat trailer, 6 years old. I added the extra air so I could travel the extra 10 mph and I was not exceeding 70 for the entire trip. I was about 500 miles into my journey.

When it blew it destroyed the chrome wheel and tore up the heavy steel fender (I was able to straighten and repaint). The steel cords wrapped around the brake and axle. I had to pound the fender out on the side of the road so I could get the spare on. I was lucky it didn't do any more damage.

I agree with the others. Get rid of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_173101s.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	393987   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_151737-part.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	393988  

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
My opinion is that you would be making a serious mistake to use those tires for even one trip. To me the potential for damage due to a tire failure is far greater than the value of the use of them for a year. The kinds of driving you describe require good tires, which even at their best, the GYM's were not. I would suggest immediately replacing the tires with the new GYE. Do all the other stuff later as your budget allows. To me the TPS is way more of an optional purchase than good tires. And for me the external sensors work fine so they can be added at any time.
X2- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Not Advisable

There are a few good reasons not to use these tire.

1st, They are GYM's

2nd) If they are over 6 years old. Regardless of the tread left on the case. My tire store (America's Tire) will not repair a tire that is 6 years old or older. They have reached there life expectancy.

3rd) New tires are cheap compared to the damage that can that can occur from a catastrophic tire failure at 65mph.

You are not on the hwy alone! If you are not concerned for your own life consider how your rig would look upside-down on top of a car full of kids. It's not always about us, the safety of others is important to consider as well.

You asked for our advice. Now it's up to you! What will you do?

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I tend to agree with the others. Your tires are right at the six year mark. That is when prevailing wisdom dictates that the tires should be replaced regardless of wear. I am not saying that the tires won't last another year, but you are rolling the dice. A catastrophic tire failure on an Airstream could easily result in $10,000 of body damage that will take months to get repaired.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I guess some think I waste money but...I change trailer tires every 4 years. It is a small cost and gives me peace of mind.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:22 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Tire advice for newbie

The decision rests with you and involves the level of risk you’re willing to take.

Spending a bit on new tires now will save you significant dollars over a blowout. We moved our fifth wheel 90 miles last Summer just to set it up on a long term site. We installed brand new tires for the move. Yes it was an expensive move coming in at $5.60 per mile, but a blowout could have easily cost us four to six times that.

We’ve experienced the damages from trailer tire failures on RV’s and work trailers that had tires that looked brand new and were hardly worn. We replace ours every four years irrespective of mileage. It simply isn’t worth the risk to us.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
When we picked-up our AS it had Maxx Tires on it - 3 were 6 years old - 1 was 2 year old .. we had to drive about 1000km home and I prayed all the way. Two day after arrival I had GYE's installed ... The problem as I understand in your case is what my dad would called having the "penny wise and dollar poor" struggle ... meaning the inner debate you're having between now spending the few dollars for new GYE tires OR taking the risk of spending several thousand dollars in repairs following an GYM tire failure. We all have to make decisions and I hope you make the right one.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Agree with the good DR & everyone else. The cost is not only to mitigate the risk of AS damage and ruining your trip, BUT peace of mind! What’s that worth. We use our AS as an escape pod & relaxation get away. You’ll be white knuckling and stressing about those rubber things the entire time. Get new ones and forget about them (except watching pressure/temps on TPMS). [emoji41]

Safe travels.
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
More of same advice. It boggles my mind that you imagine 70 mph is safe on aged GYM tires. You paid a premium for an Airstream. If a belt delaminates, you will be replacing the wheel well and a side panel. It is Aluminum, not steel! Buy good tires, and slow down and enjoy the trip! The destination is much nicer when you have arrived without mishaps.

Be safe, Paula
Old 04-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Hello. I have a 2010 FC 23FB. When I purchased the tires were in ok shape but I decided to replace them. It looks like most people on here are recommending you do the same. I decided to take the opportunity to move to the 15” wheels. I purchased 4 of the 15” rims from Recstuff. (I should of bought 5 because I could of rotated the tires when I did bearing service). I went with Carliysle 225/75D15’s. This gave me a little extra clearance. I think this is one of the best upgrades I have done.
Bigboote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
No question. Upgrade to the GY Endurance 15" tires immediately, then when your budget allows, definitely invest in a good TPMS. Our TPMS (TST 507's) have saved our bacon more then once.

Upgrade, relax and enjoy your trip!!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Get rid of the GYM. Now! Don’t even try a short trip on them. When they blow - and they will - you will do extensive damage to the AS.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
Pardon the redundancy, my wife says I repeat myself all the time. Replace the tires before your trip. The peace of mind is worth it. Also, be sure they are balanced.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I'm not saying I disagree with everyone but does the fact that it was stored inside when not in use give anyone a second thought on being okay to travel on?
Is it the GYM or any tire that everyone is so leery of??
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I had your same feelings except it was the end of the season and we were making 1 more 350 mile trip. On the way at about 275 miles the front curb side tire blew and caused the tread to come off of the second tire. With that it took out the fender well and all the floor and closet wall. It looked like a bomb went off inside the trailer. My shoes, a 35mm camera and lenses along with other items were strung along the interstate. The interior of our trailer is pretty much particle board material. We vacuumed sawdust and wood chips from one end to the other for months. To make it worse the first place I came on to get tires was Sam's. They would not touch the trailer so I had to take the tires off 1 at a time and take in to replace. Of course then there were all of the repairs when we got home. Replace the tires and save the misery.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #19
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I'm not saying I disagree with everyone but does the fact that it was stored inside when not in use give anyone a second thought on being okay to travel on?
Good question. When we ordered our 2016 FC 25, I up graded from
the factory 16” wheels with Michelin LT tires, after reading all the GYE
horror stories on this forum. Now 5 years and around 25k miles, they
still look new and have been stored with the trailer indoors in a climate
controlled building. Should these be replaced and when?

Thanks

Dave
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Tire advice for newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62
]I'm not saying I disagree with everyone but does the fact that it was stored inside when not in use give anyone a second thought on being okay to travel on?

No, the fact that it was stored inside does not give me a second thought that it may be safe to travel on. sitting still for a couple of years does not do a tire any good. Inside is still aging.

Yes, the fact that it is a GYM specifically is a particular problem with me.

I am not talking from experience. I have never owned a GYM. Talking to many people who did when I got my trailer used did make up my mind. Some of them had 3 failures out of 4. I am not that stubborn.

To me there are 2 good reasons to change it. That it is aged out. And that it is a GYM. Together to me that would be compelling.

The 3rd reason it would be compelling is that the OP has already stated he is planning on driving it past its speed rating for long hauls. For about $600-700 he can fix this issue before he has a problem. Or he can take the chance and save about $150 in yearly tire cost.

As I said before, I change trailer tires every 4 years. I use more expensive tires then the GYE. It costs me about $800 every 4 years. Or about $200 per year for tires. I could save maybe $50 per year if I went longer or bought cheaper tire. But...what could I buy with $50 per year that would be better than feeling like I have adequate tires?