Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
estes park , Colorado
I have a 2010 25 ft flying cloud, bought used in great condition 2 years ago. The marathons on it were 2015. I too thought I could stretch their use another year by being careful (i rarely tow over 65). Coming down I-70 eastward after the Eisenhower Tunnel, i sensed something wasn’t right. On our way home to Estes Park on a quiet road I pulled over, and found two 6 year old tires had delaminated. They looked great from the outside and the vehicle had been stored indoors. I made an appointment for the next day at Discount tire to get 4 new GYEs.

My advice: DON’T HESITATE - BUY NEW TIRES NOW. THE ALTERNATIVES RANGE FROM BAD TO UNIMAGINABLE. Be safe out there.
MaggieScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
I also had GYM tires, switched to GYE with a TPMS and have been sleeping soundly. With GoodYear replacing the GYM tires with the GYE, there is no longer a strong safety argument to change to 16" wheels.

I compared the Marathons with the Endurance of the shop floor and there was no comparison, the Marathons simply looked flimsy in comparison; their reputation for blowouts was not surprising. As many have recommended don't risk it, switch to GYE.

If GoodYear no longer trusts the GYM tires I don't see why you would!

Safe travels!
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
I'm not saying I disagree with everyone but does the fact that it was stored inside when not in use give anyone a second thought on being okay to travel on?
Is it the GYM or any tire that everyone is so leery of??

While the inside storage can help extend tire life IMO the GYM have demonstrated that for many 3 years is about all many can expect.

I strongly suggest anyone with tire questions review THIS post.

The comment that was a major red flag for me was the admission that they were not going to use TPMS. While using a TPMS can not warn you of all impending tire failures (like belt separations) they can warn of most sidewall "blowouts".

I bet that the tire store just looked at the tread depth and decided all was OK. I would suggest that when a tire inspection is done they ask for a statement, IN WRITING that the tire is OK and see what happens.

You can do a reasonable inspection by doing a "Free Spin" inspection at least once a year or every 2,000 miles to see if there are obvious problems with the tire structure.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Gar View Post
We just purchased a 2016 23FB Flying Cloud with original GYM ST215 75R14. We are the second owners. The trailer was lightly used and kept in heated storage for five years. The stamp on the tires indicate they were manufactured in August of 2015. There is lots of tread left and there are no cracks in the rubber. We plan short trips locally and a longer extended trip to Montana from SD this summer. My inclination is to use these tires for one season with no TPMS being careful to stay at 65mph or lower with frequent stops and checks on the tires. After this season I would purchase new GYE ST215 75R14 and clamp on metal stems adding a TPMS. I would then follow the advice in the tires forum by increasing pressure by 10lbs so I could travel at speeds up to 70mph. I can't see driving any faster than that but on the long open stretches of highway between SD and the Mountain west where most of our travels will be I know it will be hard to keep it to 65mph. Is the plan sound or are the Marathons questionable enough so that I should immediately replace? It seems that most of the failures I have read of involve the 15 in Marathons and maybe this is becuse of heavier loads than the 14 in Marathons. Any advice would be appreciated. We had a Blue Ox Sway Pro installed by an Airstream Dealer so I think we are good in that department.

Big_Gar
South Dakota
2016 23FB Flying Cloud
2012 Chevy Silverado 5.3 Vortec

I have a 2004 22 foot Safari I bought with at least two previous owners. It had Chinese made Goodyear Marathons with about the same life as you indicated. I took it about 150 miles doing freeway speeds for about half of it. Being my first trip, I was not as well versed in tire safety as now.

I wondered why I only got 150 miles on a tank of gas with my then new Tundra. I found out that although the dealer did a fairly good job going over the unit before handing it off to me, the tires only had 30 lbs of pressure. The tires should have blown but didn't. I think it was because that trailer had dual axles (now the 22 foot is a single axle). Four tires on a light (4100 lb empty weight) trailer were quite forgiving. Considering yours were kept out of the sun and had only light use, I think you are fine with your plan... You probably will feel better though, once you get them swapped out for GYE's. With a dual axle, you probably don't need TPMS if you don't want it. The cost is fairly high... andd I lost a wheel and tire recently when the 5 lug bolts on the passenger front tire sheared on an Interstate "bump" doing 15 mph under the speed limit. Torquing the lugnuts and checking tire pressure daily would probably be enough. TPMS would not have helped me with my situation... I lost the tire and wheel and walking the center median for 5 miles where a good Samaritan had flagged me down and indicated my wheel and tire went, did no good. Either somebody found it before I did or the wheel rolled out of the median and went on somewhere into the Arizona wilderness.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Replacing tires

You are fooling yourself to think you can stop often and find a tire problem or one ready to blow before it happens. A sure way to answer your question as to “should I replace or run tires longer” is to have a blow out at speed ! You will never ask a question like that again ! The damage, cost to repair you coach, and having a trip ruined is not worth taking a chance ,a blow out will convince you of that. There are some things you never want to use until failure tires being one. Mike
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:09 AM   #46
Pbfec

2019 25' Flying Cloud
jupiter , Florida
Buy new Goodyear tires!

Quote:
We just purchased a 2016 23FB Flying Cloud with original GYM ST215 75R14. We are the second owners. The trailer was lightly used and kept in heated storage for five years. The stamp on the tires indicate they were manufactured in August of 2015. There is lots of tread left and there are no cracks in the rubber. We plan short trips locally and a longer extended trip to Montana from SD this summer. My inclination is to use these tires for one season with no TPMS being careful to stay at 65mph or lower with frequent stops and checks on the tires. After this season I would purchase new GYE ST215 75R14 and clamp on metal stems adding a TPMS. I would then follow the advice in the tires forum by increasing pressure by 10lbs so I could travel at speeds up to 70mph. I can't see driving any faster than that but on the long open stretches of highway between SD and the Mountain west where most of our travels will be I know it will be hard to keep it to 65mph. Is the plan sound or are the Marathons questionable enough so that I should immediately replace? It seems that most of the failures I have read of involve the 15 in Marathons and maybe this is becuse of heavier loads than the 14 in Marathons. Any advice would be appreciated. We had a Blue Ox Sway Pro installed by an Airstream Dealer so I think we are good in that department.

Big_Gar
South Dakota
2016 23FB Flying Cloud
Buy new tires! A blowout will ruin your day and the wheel weld of AS!
pbfec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:18 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1987 27' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
No uniform agreement on exceeding the 5 year "recommendation"

Regarding age of tires there is no uniform agreement. Definitely the industry recommends abiding by a 5 year limit regardless of condition but they sell tires...so no one will ever take responsibility or suggest the 5 year thing can be exceeded regardless of anecdotal evidence. I had a blowout once and it cause damage to the exterior skin and storage box and I don't want that to happy to my '87 Sovereign as repairs are far more expensive than tires. I run good quality ST's and run at 60mph max as it is less stressful, saves gas (and the planet) and there is great evidence regarding the correlation between speed and tire life as well as safety so while I may coast down on some hills slightly higher than 60 but it is not my preference. Enjoy the journey with your travelling house as the better you treat your trailer the better your experience is. Here is a decent link with a perspective on LT vs ST.

triptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Tires

What everybody has said. In our last 125000 miles in Alaska, Canada, Newfoundland, many mountain roads, etc. we have never had a tire issue of any variety. Our rules are go 5 mph slower than you think reasonable, and always trade tires at least one year “too soon” but never more than 3 years after their date of manufacture.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #49

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
I am very appreciative of all of your imput, advice, stories etc. I tried to thank you all but if I missed anyone, Thank You. My wife says, don't be cheap! We are going to get new (including the spare) GYE tires. We also are going to have metal stems to replace the rubber ones and add the TST 507 TPMS. Yes to saftey first and foremost, peace of mind, and thinking of others saftey too.
Gary
You obviously married well!!

Good decision on procuring new tires too.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Sioux Falls , SD
Buying GYE from Sam's Club

Has anyone had experience buying ST GYE tires from Sames Club? Anything I should watch out for? They are $200.00 less than the lowest of two other quotes from local regional tire dealers. Would I be getting the same ST 215 275R14 tire? They told me they can deal with changing them on my trailer outside their shop doors where they have a concrete pad. I would be there making sure they know where to put a jack. Gary.
Big_Gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
...and torque the lug nuts to spec.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
I have a 2004 22 foot Safari I bought with at least two previous owners. It had Chinese made Goodyear Marathons with about the same life as you indicated. I took it about 150 miles doing freeway speeds for about half of it. Being my first trip, I was not as well versed in tire safety as now.

I wondered why I only got 150 miles on a tank of gas with my then new Tundra. I found out that although the dealer did a fairly good job going over the unit before handing it off to me, the tires only had 30 lbs of pressure. The tires should have blown but didn't. I think it was because that trailer had dual axles (now the 22 foot is a single axle). Four tires on a light (4100 lb empty weight) trailer were quite forgiving. Considering yours were kept out of the sun and had only light use, I think you are fine with your plan... You probably will feel better though, once you get them swapped out for GYE's. With a dual axle, you probably don't need TPMS if you don't want it. The cost is fairly high... andd I lost a wheel and tire recently when the 5 lug bolts on the passenger front tire sheared on an Interstate "bump" doing 15 mph under the speed limit. Torquing the lugnuts and checking tire pressure daily would probably be enough. TPMS would not have helped me with my situation... I lost the tire and wheel and walking the center median for 5 miles where a good Samaritan had flagged me down and indicated my wheel and tire went, did no good. Either somebody found it before I did or the wheel rolled out of the median and went on somewhere into the Arizona wilderness.

Didn't the dealer point out the info in the owner's manual about checking air pressure at least once every morning of travel day. Sounds like you need a more competent dealer.

There is a good chance that a TPMS might have helped. Once the wheel removed itself from the Rv you would have received a Lost Signal warning and hopefully you would have paid attention.

RE broken studs. I suggest that you have your torque wrench checked. You might also consider replacing all the wheel studs as there is a chance that whatever torque wrench was used to set and to re-torque the wheels over-torqued and damaged other studs.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

Big_Gar
South Dakota
2016 23FB Flying Cloud
Junk...buy new good year endurance.... made in the USA
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Loudon , Tennessee
Newby here w tire question.
What are GYM tires and why are they bad?
What would be the best tires for my 2017Airstream Interstate Ext?

I have read that Airstream recommends Mercedes tires ?
But, I don’t understand what might be special about them that couldn’t be found in other brands???
JosieNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieNurse View Post

But, I don’t understand what might be special about them that couldn’t be found in other brands???
GYM (Marathon) are made in China and many folks had blowouts and tire failed with these over the past decade or more. The GY Endurance are USA made, and doing excellent job. For an Interstate I would ask Tireman or one of the other experts we have here on the Forum...or go to the Intererstate Forum here.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:26 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Don’t believe everything you read. At this moment in time, Goodyear Endurance tires are the “Gold Standard” in trailer tires for your Airstream.
Besides, Mercedes does not make tires.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:54 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Note that JosieNurse is asking about tires for a Interstate van. Not a trailer. The appropriate Michelins would be a fine choice for that use. Check out Interblogs thread that includes discussion about which Michelin. The GYE are trailer tires and can only be used on trailers.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Didn't the dealer point out the info in the owner's manual about checking air pressure at least once every morning of travel day. Sounds like you need a more competent dealer.

There is a good chance that a TPMS might have helped. Once the wheel removed itself from the Rv you would have received a Lost Signal warning and hopefully you would have paid attention.

RE broken studs. I suggest that you have your torque wrench checked. You might also consider replacing all the wheel studs as there is a chance that whatever torque wrench was used to set and to re-torque the wheels over-torqued and damaged other studs.

It’s a good idea to remind anyone to not use a pneumatic lug wrench, and to torque to specifications outlined in your manual. At NYS inspection intervals yearly, I have them write it on the work order, hand tighten and specify torque #, I’ll pay extra if necessary.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:49 AM   #59
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosieNurse View Post

The issue with GYM's is about trailers and you have a powered vehicle and those just don't have the issues that trailers have (had).

IMHO there doesn't appear to be any reason to exclude (or include) any particular tire manufacturer from the list of options for a powered vehicle.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
This guy in this video above, says you "should inflate to max psi on the tire"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

Here we go again...this video is interesting data on composition of LT vs ST tires for trailer or light trucks. But he goes on to state you should always fill your ST tires to the Max PSI number on the tires to avoid problems. Goodyear folks and many here also (including me) recommend PSI be set cold, according to the weight charts for the tire. I know GY chart shows a minimum PSI of 45 in my case on my 28'; I run at 58psi cold, and that has been very forgiving on the AS yet good wear on my GYE's. I know with my TST TPMS, I see 70-80PSI when warm on longer trips. Might be good to get an update on what you (or Capri Racer) recommend again, and why? I know when I started out some 18 years ago with my first AS, I filled to 80PSI per recommended...I had popped rivets and other broken latches and stuff...lowered to 65psi which ended the issues...in AS's 2,3 and now the 28', it took me awhile to get comfortable (post Marathons, and Michelin LT) with trusting the new Endurance but this is my second set on the 28 and I actually like the ride and wear at 58 cold. A Video like this one above, again, can mislead and of course, fire up the age old argument on tire pressure.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote