Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
My first year towing and my guru was bragging about how long his tires had lasted. They looked beautiful, even the sidewalls. Then he backed into a site near mine and had me acting as his spotter (more like a traffic cone cause I was such a newbie). Anyway I looked at his sidewalls while he pulled in the last three feet and I saw little "lips" opening and closing as the trailer rolled to a stop. Vern had to let me drive the trailer back and forth before he could see what I saw. If I remember correctly he even used a cell camera to verify it up close.

The culprit wasn't neglect. He had covered the tires and even periodically reblacked the sidewalls with a conditioning coating. Sitting and losing roundness AND pure aging had to have done it.

Thanks to the plague I am not the only one who has a sit-stream this year and I know I should put "Eddie Haskell" up on jack stands and blocks, but I have procrastinated. SO, I will be buying a new set of tires a bit earlier next time.

BTW: my two cents. Eddie is an Eddie Bauer, and came with 16 inch Michelins. I am underwhelmed. I found some wheel well damage that I know happened when I failed to outrun a blizzard. Built up so much ice I couldn't open the trailer door to use the necessary... (guys do have a few natural advantages). Anyway with the newer 15" tires that are out today I would opt to have a little more clearance in the wheel wells. I made a temporary repair to the wheel well and will probably do the lift kit too.
It is only an opinion and is worth what you paid for it, but I say 15 inch tires are fine. 16 inchers gain you 1/2 inch in height (radius from the axle to the ground) and cost 1/2 inch in the wheel well. A GOOD 15 inch tire is fine. Save the money you'd spend on new rims and blow it on some other obsessive compulsive "gotta have" thing for the coach.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
YES
The new 15" GYE's have worked well for us.👍

I've gotten older in my lazy years...🥴

Bob
🇺🇸

I used to remove, I now just lift & cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2e58.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	735.8 KB
ID:	368363   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c0b.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	368364  

"Instead of going to íStarbucksÖI make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Replace the tires, consider adding a tire pressure monitoring system to warn you in the event of a tire issue. This thread details my experience with an improper tire change (dealer installed low pressure valve stems that were not compatible with the higher inflation pressure of the tires fitted).

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ed-197502.html
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I replaced my original Michelin's in that 6 year window. Very good tires but you have reached the point that it's better to error on the conservative side. Yep I know they look good, mine did too, but looks alone never should be the deciding factor. Be safe and do your homework.

The Internet giants like Discount Tire, and Tire Rack usually offer competitive pricing, free shipping, local dealers who will mount their tires, discounts and some even provide road hazard replacements at no extra costs. In some cases dependent upon state you live in, the tires may be free of state and local sales taxes. It pays to shop. I originally bought my Michelin's from Discounttiredirect.com and the current set came from Tire Rack. No one locally could touch their price. Right now Discounttiredirect.com is offering a $100 instant rebate on the Michelin's Agilis models that can replace your tires for about $184 each which includes the discount. What's also nice is that both Tire Rack and Discount allow you to use Paypal which will give you 6 months financing at 0% APR.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraBarYoung View Post
We have a "gently-used" 2015 Flying Cloud. The original owners evidently opted for 16" wheels and Michelin tires as I believe the standard size wheels are 15". We are just about ready to embark upon a 2 month journey to the northwest and the last thing we want to worry about is a tire failure. According to the date stamp on the tires, they were produced in 09/2014. While they still have plenty of tread life, we wonder at what point we should consider replacing them. BTW, we live in AZ and keep the AS in a covered lot with tire covers when not in use.
.........6 years....nope..replan them.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Tyre life

That is not too old if stored properly. I would first inflate all four tyres to full pressure, then check for sidewall cracks. If no cracks, replace the front two tyres w/ new. Keep both old tyres for spare on long trips, one on rim, the other unmounted. If you have sidewall cracks, replace all of em but still keep two best for spares. An old tyre beats nothing when you are in rural areas and nobody has a replacement in stock. You will be back on the road quickly when you come prepared with your own spares

And remember, no matter how new your tyres are, a blowout from hitting large debris in the road can ruin the newest and strongest of tyres. When the guy in the pickup looses his toolbox or ladder, the semi in front of you runs it over and starts it spinning, so it spears your tyre instantly!
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Always replace after 3 years on the ground or 4 years after manufacture whichever is sooner. Sooner, of course, if problems.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Well, I've been wondering how long it would take to turn this into a discussion of brands of tires. They were 15" Carlyle, this was the first problem I've every had with Carlyle tires in the past 20 years and nearly 250,000 miles of towing...
Larry
......Chinese...not on mine,...wheelbarrow tires..
Old 05-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoasteng View Post
That is not too old if stored properly. I would first inflate all four tyres to full pressure, then check for sidewall cracks. If no cracks, replace the front two tyres w/ new. Keep both old tyres for spare on long trips, one on rim, the other unmounted. If you have sidewall cracks, replace all of em but still keep two best for spares. An old tyre beats nothing when you are in rural areas and nobody has a replacement in stock. You will be back on the road quickly when you come prepared with your own spares

And remember, no matter how new your tyres are, a blowout from hitting large debris in the road can ruin the newest and strongest of tyres. When the guy in the pickup looses his toolbox or ladder, the semi in front of you runs it over and starts it spinning, so it spears your tyre instantly!
5-6 years...nope..toss them..
Old 05-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Agree with most here, time to change them including the spare.

'18 Classic M30 RFB w/AMSolar' 600w Victron Energy/V4 Lithium Power, ProPride 3P, etc.
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #31
DEAN

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
NSB , Florida
Replace with help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraBarYoung View Post
We have a "gently-used" 2015 Flying Cloud. The original owners evidently opted for 16" wheels and Michelin tires as I believe the standard size wheels are 15". We are just about ready to embark upon a 2 month journey to the northwest and the last thing we want to worry about is a tire failure. According to the date stamp on the tires, they were produced in 09/2014. While they still have plenty of tread life, we wonder at what point we should consider replacing them. BTW, we live in AZ and keep the AS in a covered lot with tire covers when not in use.
You can calll the tire company if you notice any defect. They will give you a credit. But replace with mis. Stay with 16 in . I did a 3 inch lift and up to 16 in tires love it. 2019 27 Fb Tommy Bahama
Ekonomou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
Safety for me and the family is JOB 1.

I replaced my original 15" tires with Michelin 16" tires. The 15" were on for 4 years
I plan to replace tires every 5 years or sooner is wear shows up.
when not in use , we cover them with WHITE tire covers. This reflects the heat

As other have stated; "it's better to error on the conservative side"
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
We had reservations all the way to South Dakota this summer. All that changed in the beginning of March . Canceled all reservations through September.

Just happened to see this thread and reminded me that the tires on our TradeWind I installed back in 2012 should be replaced . So I ordered a set and waiting for delivery now.

Meanwhile we are glamping in the driveway this weekend.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #34

2015 25' FB International
PLainfield , Indiana
Iíve just new tires on our 2015 ccd.
Was the date code 0914?
If it is those are even older.. 9 the week of 2014..
Also Airstream said they now make the better tires in 15Ē rims so now you donít have to size up to get them.
Be safe, itís time.
Safe travels
Letgoeggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 18' Clipper
Elgin , Texas
Cost me $4,000 in damage to my A/S just for making "one more trip". Don't don't do it. Change them before your trip. Your at the replacement age. Why risk a blowout?

And get a TPMS for your rig if your not running one.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Though I have only had my GYE for 3 years, I probably close 50,000 miles on them, and tread depth is about 5/32". I hope to put at least 12-15,000 miles on this summer and fall, so I am replacing mine next month.

I also recommend a tread gauge if you put a lot of miles on your tires. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
Yeah, well, DOT and HTSA can say what they want, but there are few trailer tires for RVs that will be reliable after 5 years......last summer's trip and 2 blowouts in Wyoming cost nearly $3,000.00 in underbelly and valve damage, plus 6 new tires......these tires were 4 years old......after that trip, mine are being changed every 3 years......these tires that came from apart had NO SIGNS of cracking, either on the sidewall, nor in the tread.....y'all do what you want, but 3 years is a safe decision.....
For whatever it's worth.
Larry
I totally agree. I did the upgrade to 16" rims with new Michelin tires at JC. 3 years later I had a tread separation that took out part of the underbelly. Michelin actually reimbursed me - but when I asked whether that whole lot (as I had purchased 5 rims & tires) was suspect I was told that I had a 7-year warranty and should keep on trucking. 6 months later (and 3 days after servicing at JC (which included checking the running gear) 2 more tires failed, taking out the underbelly and part of the waste system.

Michelin denied the claim under their 7-year warranty (tires were 3-1/2 years old) because I didn't have the carcasses sent to them, even though I provided them with photographs. The damages from these failures was $10,000 - partly covered by my insurers, but I was out of pocket $2,000.

Lessons learned:

1. Tire life is 3 years MAX. Not worth the risk afterwards; AND

2. Michelin tires are UNSAFE. Contrary to what the tire salesman said, the Coopers wear well. Not only that, but my TPMS shows that they run considerably cooler than the Michelins.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Downside risk: blowout and trailer damage or worse.
Upside risk: $500 + TPM I would spend eventually.

My dealer says 4 years from date stamp and he does not sell them. I hate to spend money like the next guy, but AS are not cheap and repairs can be a nightmare on the road. Iíd rather be out the money on a long trip and have peace of mind.

We all plan. Many things happen that are unanticipated and welcome to RV life. Tire failure in many of these threads IMO are self-inflicted ó just my opinion of course, but if I were taking a 2000 trip on dual axle tires in varying heat and road conditions and they were 3 years from the date stamp, Iíd replace them all. Just lowered my odds of failure. Not to zero, but much lower. Yes Iím very conservative about it, but Iím not worrying about 4 year old tires holding up in the middle of the Colorado mountains.
starpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
California , Maryland
I have a 2015 Flying cloud bunky. I replaced mine last spring. Treat we still good and no dry rout. Just spend the $400-$500 and get a good set. I upgraded to E rated 10 ply. Peace of mind is everything and blowouts can cause thousands of dollars of damage. Not to mention the hassle and inconvenience of making repairs on the road Donít forget to replace you spare too. Safe travels
knowltontr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
He did look at the date codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Reading the date codes on the tires themselves is a more accurate way of making a decision than using the date installed as a guide.Some tires are more than a year old when installed.