Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Question The age old tire question

OK I have done some research on tires on this site and come to the conclusion that there is a lot of information out there. The trailer in question is a 1955 bubble. I have some 6 bolt rims with 700X15 tires that came with the trailer, and I would love to know if this is the proper size for the trailer. I believe that one of the previous owners made a tire size change, but this could be a vicious rumor. Does any one know what would have come on the trailer originally? I ask because I plan on a new axel purchase and I hate to plan on the wrong bolt pattern, spacing, and tire size. I want to make absolutely sure that the wheel will fit in the well without any clearance issues. Where would I find the tires/rims in question so I can make the purchase? Any insight would be great.
Thanks BB 55 Bubble.
BB 55 Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Lightbulb The best place for all of your moving parts.

I have answered my own question! As it turns out all of my needs can be filled with one simple call to Axis Products www.axisproducts.com. My axel, breaks, wheels, and rims can come from this location. I have talked to one of the guys at the plant and he was nothing but helpful. As it turns out they are a heck of a lot cheaper than some of the other options that are out there. The only catch, for me at least, could be the cost of shipping(Elkhart, IN to Bend, OR). I plan on calling the sales rep here in a week; his wife just had a kid so he is out of the office. I will let every one know what the outcome was after he returns. It turns out these guys will walk me through all of the measurements under the trailer and will give me a custom set up that will fit the trailer with little to no modifications to the trailer. The Full Monty if you will. So stay tuned I will let every one know if this is the Holy Grail of axels or not.
BB 55 Bubble
BB 55 Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Axis ROCKS. I had two axles custom made and factory installed there last fall. Superb! Here is a hint for those of you who can let them have your trailer for a week: the money you save on shipping is more than the cost of the factory installation, they even went out and got some shocks for me! ****MEGA karma to Axis*****

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't want to talk you out of an Axis axle, however, there is a Dexter distributor in Eugene that may be able to give you a second quote. You might save on shipping if you can do the pickup and installation yourself.

They have a pretty good website with measuring directions. The only problem is they are about 100X the size of Axis, so you might not get the personal attention.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Markdoane is right!

The Dexter axle and the Axis axle are very much alike. Dexter started Axis years ago. Dexter is the largest producer of axles in the U.S.A. Al-ko Kober is the largest in the world. Additionally Dexter is now the prefered supplier for Airstream - Henschen is not.

Just two cents from a retired axle guy!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Additionally Dexter is now the prefered supplier for Airstream - Henschen is not.
hi henry/axleman.....

well it seems i read recently that the airstream/dexter love affair was short lived.....
and j/c has returned to henschen for these doodads....
during the '06 model year....

did you see this?

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I wouldn't be suprised if Airstream switches back and forth, or even uses both, just to keep both vendors on their toes.

On the other hand, I don't know if Henschen could survive for long without Airstream.

There might be local political reasons, also.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote