Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Newbury , Ohio
Swapping Tires??? Help!!!

I have a 1963 Airstream Ambassador that I bought new tires for about two years ago and only travel 300 miles with. I was thinking about swapping two of those to my 1965 Airstream Safari. Does anyone know if this will work? If so, what are the jack points for both trailers? I believe that I should know how to figure this out on my own, but I don't know how. The times on my Safari are in dire shape and this approach would save me money.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
I don't know why it wouldn't work. Don't re-use split rim wheels. Jack on the axle, as close to the tire as you can.

NUTZ
Alumanutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The newer tires are the same size and load rating as the ones you want to replace, I don't see any reason you couldn't swap them out. You should be able to get this info off the sidewalls of the tires. (If there's something I'm missing here that makes it ill-advised, I'm sure we'll find out!)

It's unclear whether you were intending to remount the tires on the original wheels. That would be preferable assuming the wheels themselves are OK...again, if the wheels are the same on both rigs (same size, same # of lug bolts, etc), you could switch both the wheels and tires.

Also check the date of the tires' manufacture...that's the code found after "DOT" on the tire...the code is the week and year of manufacture. So "DOT 0506" would be the 5th week of 2006. If they are over 5 or 6 years old they should be replaced anyway.

The jack points should be marked on the underside of the belly pan and align with the frame (so that you are in effect supporting the AS on the frame)... There is supposed to be an aluminum plate showing the jack points, but sometimes they are not there. I'm not sure on longer rigs, but our 19' Bambi's jack points are about 1/2 the distance between the axel and the rear bumper.

Some prefer to jack at the axel brackets (NOT the axels themselves)...but I will follow what Airstream says and use the jack points (if I ever have to...ugh!)...If this does not give you the info you need...check out any numher of discussions on the topic...in this subforum: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457/

Good luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I would follow RBRich's advice. I've always heard to never jack on the axle of an Airstream with the Henschen axles. Use the jackpoints. If they are not marked, get down and look under the trailer. If that doesn't work, read the thread referenced above in post #3 to help you figure it out.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumanutz View Post
I don't know why it wouldn't work. Don't re-use split rim wheels. Jack on the axle, as close to the tire as you can.

NUTZ
NEVER, EVER JACK ON THE AXLE.

To do so "CAN" destroy the alignment.

Any manual or book ever published says "DO NOT EVER" jack up the trailer using the torsion axle.

The proper jacking point is to use the "axle mounting plate" just rearward of the axle.

This subject has come up dozens upon dozens of times.

The "jack" label placed by Airstream, is for "stabilizing jacks only."

Why??????

Because if you use a jack where the label is placed, you take a very high risk of the jack "slipping" and then punching a hole in the underbelly, and when that happens, the trailer will drop to the ground, and perhaps punch a hole in the floor of the trailer as well.

Using the axle mounting plate, eliminates that possibility.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Newbury , Ohio
Thanks to everyone for the advise... I will attempt again to find those jack points, and make certain to not use the either camper's axle. I was not planning on taking the tires off the rims, I was hoping to just swap out the entire rim/tire. I will research what a split rim is, I hope I don't have those.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
If the "jack" label is for stabilizers only why would they put in on newer trailers that come equipped with stabilizer jacks?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
If the "jack" label is for stabilizers only why would they put in on newer trailers that come equipped with stabilizer jacks?
I provided information about the jack placements, from experience.

Ask those owners, who used Airstream designated spots, tell you haow the trailer was damaged and/or fell off the jacks.

There is a better way to do it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote