Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
Spare tire replacement schedule

I have a 2017 16’Sport, from factory it has Marathon tires, I am changing them out for Goodyear Endurance. The spare a Marathon has never been used, what are thoughts in regard to the Marathon spare? Should I replace it with an Endurance or leave the original ? One concern I have would be if I needed to use the Marathon spare I would be dealing with two different tire pressure maximum settings. Thanks
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I would replace the spare. That's what I did back when I replaced my Marathon tires for Endurance tires. My thought was that if I needed to use the spare, I wanted a better more capable tire on there until I could get to a tire shop.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:54 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
11yrs...🥴 Well I never had need for it on the road, so I just made sure it had air. Replaced when I up-graded to GYE's 3 Seasons ago.
Wheel was so rusted, powder coating was in order, now protected with a plastic shield.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	266FA3F6-7AA6-409A-9984-1574F668352A_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	393092  

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Site Team

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
The spare on my 2006 was OEM GYM when I got it in 2014, never been on the ground. I made sure it had air and figured if I had to use it I would just go down the road slowly. When I bought 4 new GYEs in 2019 I took one of the 2010 GYMs that had been on the ground and put it as the spare, another for my boat trailer. The AS spare is out of the sun under the AS and the OEM was pristine. Other than the age I think it would get me down the road. Boat trailer is garage kept so same theory.

I got new tires for the AS and boat trailer at the same time (same size) so if one of them goes bad I'll replace it with one from the boat trailer, get 2 new ones for the boat trailer and the other GYE will be a spare. I just don't see the point in buying a new tire to sit on the "spare" rack.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Change the spare too. Just buy 3 tires and be done with it. Gee...easy question.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
A new spare is much cheaper than repairing aluminum panels and other damage from another GYM failure, Replace the spare,
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
If it is in serviceable condition then keep it. It is( usually) stored out of the sunlight and won’t likely be used for more than a few hours.
I travelled 700 km on a 10 year old spare, no other choice in the netherlands of northern Ontario. Just kept an eye on it.
My current spare is different tire pressure but has adequate load rating for my AS even fully loaded
Even the spare on my new TV is derated for Max speed. That is the nature of spare use, and you need to repair ASAP otherwise you’ll lose another one... Murphy’s Law.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Spares don't always fail because the tread is too worn. They fail because of age. Rubber crystalizes with age...and the tire will come apart. General rule of thumb in the automotive industry is replace any tire more than six years old (even trailer tires designed for longer life). The stopwatch apparently begins on the date of manufacture. Exposure to heat and sunlight accelerates the crystalization. The NHTB cites studies of more than 233 fatal accidents in one year due to blowouts of tires > 6 years old. Even though more costly, don't hold onto a spare more than one generation past the currently mounted rolling tires. If you have dual axles and relatively new running tires your risk is obviously less using an older spare for short distances. But on a single axle trailer you have full risk. Safest course of action is to bite the bullet and replace the spare each time you replace the rolling set of tires.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The last time I replaced tires I purchased 4 GY Endurance tires and a cheaper Carlisle for the spare.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #10
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I have a 2017 16’Sport, from factory it has Marathon tires, I am changing them out for Goodyear Endurance. The spare a Marathon has never been used, what are thoughts in regard to the Marathon spare? Should I replace it with an Endurance or leave the original ? One concern I have would be if I needed to use the Marathon spare I would be dealing with two different tire pressure maximum settings. Thanks
Your spare should be changed out on the same schedule of 5-6 years for trailers (8+/- years for cars/trucks) as the rest of the tires, because they can still develop unseen cracks inside the casing - especially since they sit unused & therefore don't get the emoluments (?) in the rubber moved around by driven use as needed to keep the tire rubber pliable.

Along those lines too - you should also rotate your spare onto the trailer to get even wear & to keep them pliable from use, as noted above.

Also, rather than GYE tires - you might want to check out the Maxxis Trailer ST Tires - which are considered better than GYE or GYM, & equal to Carlisle; or alternatively their Light Truck LT tires - whichever flavor you prefer.

They were recommended by Uwe Salwender of Area 63 Productions who restores Airstreams, if you want another recco:

http://www.area63productions.com/

I believe in using ST tires on trailers as they were designed for, but also use their LT tires on our 1988 VW Westfalia - which has extra stresses on tires being a high profile narrow track vehicle. Both applications are better than were the prior OEM Michelins for the Westy, & the GYM on the Avion.

ST Trailer Tires:
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-...t-radial-m8008

LT Truck Tires:
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-...eries-ue-168-n

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I'm with the 5-6 year change out plan. It's pretty amazing how much crazing there has been on my spare tires over the years even though none of them have ever seen the light of day. I do live in Texas and the trailer spends most of it's time in the SW. I even used a coat of 303 on one, never had it out but in about 5 years it was crazed enough to replace it. For the $150.- or so it costs for the tire I'd rather know I have a usable spare than get stranded or have to 'limp' to a service station.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Also, rather than GYE tires - you might want to check out the Maxxis Trailer ST Tires - which are considered better than GYE or GYM, & equal to Carlisle; or alternatively their Light Truck LT tires - whichever flavor you prefer.

Considered by who? I mean, I can agree about the Maxxis being better than a GYM, or equivalent to a Carlisle.... but I'd take the GYE over the Maxxis or the Carlisle, any day all day long. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with them: if I was in a shop in need of a tire and they didn't have a GYE but did have a Maxxis on-hand, sure, I'd roll with it, and not worry.... but I wouldn't pick it over the GYE.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I've always heard that your spare should be your best tire.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #14
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Have gone through a set of Maxxis and GY Endurance tires. The GYE did wear better and more evenly than the Maxxis. But both sets only have lasted 3 1/2 years before wear out down to 3/32" tread.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Every other tire replacement

When I put four new Goodyear Endurance tires on my AS last fall, the salesman at Discount Tire recommended replacing the spare every other time the running tires are replaced, as long as the spare appears to be in good shape.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

42° 2' 27" N / 74° 7' 6" W , US
So I have another question the Endurance I believe have a max pressure 65 lbs. My Marathons ( that I am changing out ) have max pressure 50 lbs. on trailer placard the tire max pressure is 50lbs. Both Marathon and Endurance are of the same size, so what pressure. ( I haven’t used max pressure on Matathons, so I won’t on Endurance, I’am open to advice here ) Thanks. I decided to change the spare also, so maybe someone in my area of NY can have the Marathon spare I have that’s never been on the ground. Free for the pickup. PM me.
Silvr_Bullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Whatever it says on the trailer placard.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I have a 2017 16’Sport, from factory it has Marathon tires, I am changing them out for Goodyear Endurance. The spare a Marathon has never been used, what are thoughts in regard to the Marathon spare? Should I replace it with an Endurance or leave the original ?
When I bought my 2017 it came from the factory with Marathons. I negotiated with the dealer for Endurance. It didn't cost them anything because they just swapped with a 2018. (So sorry if you bought a 2018 in Florida and got Marathons).
After I did the TPMS and metal stems, I just decided to have Discount Tire sell me a new Endurance and get rid of the Marathon with zero miles. I was disappointed to see a stamped steel rim, but I understand. I actually think they gave me a credit, it didn't cost as much as I feared.
So, IMO, I'd rather have the Endurance everywhere, although as a spare the Marathon was probably okay (for a short trip)
The problem with tires is it's easier to deal with while you're at home and not in the mountains somewhere looking for tire stores.

Quote:
So I have another question the Endurance I believe have a max pressure 65 lbs. My Marathons ( that I am changing out ) have max pressure 50 lbs. on trailer placard the tire max pressure is 50lbs.
The endurance has a max pressure of 80 psi and is "E" rated. I run mine at 65.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I would replace the spare. That's what I did back when I replaced my Marathon tires for Endurance tires. My thought was that if I needed to use the spare, I wanted a better more capable tire on there until I could get to a tire shop.
Exactly what I did on my 2015 when I upgraded to GYEndurance.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Consider the cost. You’re talking about less than $200 all in for the spare on a trailer that costs tens of thousands. It’s a no-brained. Buy a new spare.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote