Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
1959 18' Traveler
1963 16' Bambi
Victoria , British Columbia
Question spare tire location

Hi All,

I have a question about where I can locate the trailer spare tire on my 59 Traveler- 18 ft. single axle.

Front Facts:
The tongue area is full up...a big battery box in the same place the original battery box was located. and of course 2 propane tanks, regulator and the brackets for the weight distribution arms and the tongue jack.

Rear Facts:
Old battery box re-mounted on the left side of the rear center section.
Original rear compartment on the right side of the rear center section.

I'm wanting to know if there is any reason I shouldn't try to sling it under the rear area just forward of the rear bumper.

Would that be too much added weight for the frame?
Would it be advisable to put it in between the I Beam joists if it fits?

If that won't work is it too much weight to put on the top of the rear bumper?

I'd appreciate any experience / information you might offer about where to locate the spare tire on the trailer itself.
Thanks.
Cindy
CindyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
You may be able to mount it underneath the front of the trailer, just behind the A-frame hitch area. That's where some are located. It would be a better choice than the rear as far as weight distribution goes, as well as not contributing further to tail sag.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
I agree the front would be better. I have seen a few diagrams showing the tire mounted in a recessed position behind the A frame up inside the frame but below the floor board. Of coarse this was with a few modifications and a mounting bracket but it looks like a good idea. This diagram is in my service and repair manual that came with my rig. Good luck!
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The favctory optional mounting position was under the tongue, just at the edge of the body.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Cindy -- I just noticed that Bill Kerfoot says he just did something like this. You might post in his thread -- http://www.airforums.com/forum...r-17291-3.html -- see post #34. You might ask for pictures. You can bet it will take doing some aluminum sheet work and a bit of steel fabrication/welding -- not too bad once y'all get the hang of it.

McLogger -- do you have a scanner or digital camera to post that diagram? A 600x800 jpeg image works very well with the Forums software. PM me if you have questions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
You may be able to mount it underneath the front of the trailer, just behind the A-frame hitch area. That's where some are located.
That is where we mounted one on our 1978 Ambassador. Jackson Center did the work. They cut out the belly pan behind the A frame and tucked it up into the frame of the trailer. There is a mounting bracket that will let you raise and lower the spare. Works out well.
Tom
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Seattle , Washington
Send a message via AIM to kitchenclose
My PO welded an "A" frame behind the rear window of my Caravel... meaning I can open the back window only 6 inches before hitting the "A" frame. Not a great idea since I could (...hope I never) need to open the back window for an emergency exit.

And to boot...

The spare tire was the wrong size.

Good Luck.
K
kitchenclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenclose
My PO welded an "A" frame behind the rear window of my Caravel...
Uh ... yeah. Not a good idea for the reasons you state and more! I've seen quite a few added on contraptions on the rear bumpers. The frame strength was not designed for bumping down the road with the weight of a tire bouncing that far behind the axle. Some will say they've done it just fine. The most significant majority on the Forums fear for rear end separation and similar issues. My Argosy lost the seal back there, had floor rot and frame damage without any added on weight at the rear bumper. Trouble will follow any bumper mount -- just depends on how close ya look.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
There is always the option to keep the spare in the TV

If you have a pick-up you can always keep the spare back in the bed. That is likely the option you'd end up with for one of them if you have two spares (for rough roads).
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Here is the page from my 1979 Airstream Service Manual regarding the factory spare tire holder. Also a picture sent to me with a home built spare tire holder. I straightened the frame on the Liner in order to replace the coupler and as a result have a very large spot between the frame rails for my holder, which is similiar to the factory one. You will need to make sure that there is enough room in an unmodified 1950s trailer for the spare.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spart tire mount_2.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	26835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	26836  

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	26837  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
1959 18' Traveler
1963 16' Bambi
spare tire location

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the diagrams and photo information. I'll measure up the space soon.

Presuming I do this type of carrier, how would you seal the under of the floor against the weather and highway muck?

Would you place the bellypan metal against the floor? If so how would you attach it? I can guess that vulkem would be involved too.

Cindy
Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
1959 18' Traveler
1963 16' Bambi
By the way, thanks for pointing out the search possibilities. I'll go check it out.
Cindy
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I also agree that Bills placement is good .I also will say that airstream did in fact install tire carriers to the older trailers .I had one on my 60 trdwnd .
Sugarfoot has it now ,i keep the spare in the travelall in the back floor.I have
no frame problems ,bent frame or separation at the body or bumper .It was on there for 40 years ,they came with a cool aluminum tire cover that enclosed the spare and matched the trailer ,someone here in town had one on his 61 trdwnd .anyhow ,no arguement on the weight issue ,but not all
airsteams in fact did have these problems ,mainly later rear bath units with
lighter frames and tanks in the 70s .The archive photos show many older coaches with the rear tire on the rear bumper ,but again back under the frame in front is a good place , clearance will be the main issue ,going down driveways or up into parking lots can drag the spare if not high up enough or to far forward .Bills information is very good for the conversion .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Here is my .02 cents for those that care to listen...

Hello all -

Been following this thread with some serious interest and, now here I am. What to do with me?? Seem a fair enough question......

Sooooo, hear me out!

I think that the front A-Frame area is a fine place to locate a travelling spare. There are numerous posts here and elsewwhere that detail the construction of one of them (Use the search feature ..... and KEEP!! looking on all reasonable variables that are similar....) I have seen lots of great info go to waste because of poor follow-up in the search functions.... they are a WEALTH of info to anyone that is willing to get in there and get 'dirty'..... and yelled at by the 'old guard' here and elsewhere.

Back to the A-Frame. There is loads of opporunilty to build a great looking and long lasting space for the spare below the unit with a bit of work. All this CAN be done on the tongue and with a very minimal increase in work, that will likely deter few, but will likely FIRE UP a few as well.

There are many rewards waiting for the unit owner that has the forsight enough to mount that spare in the front tongue. There is room a plenty, there is a "safe" position offered there that is hard to beat. Given the other possible locations discussed so far, there is really no other location that offers the coutless & numerous positives, with no negatives - other than Tongue weight. Piffle!!!!

Consider your unit, your plans going forward and how the usage will impact the spare locations choice. A SPARE IS A MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For those that don't KNOW it, then there are millions of examples that all point the fact that a terrific spare is GREAT thing to have. Even more so for a TT.

Give the whole thing a thought and if you find that your thinking had led you right back here. Basics of trailers, do that and all else is OK. The land of checking the tires before EVERY thip. The land of having front mounted Spare Tire holders.

Axel
SilverToy
factor8man@yahoo.com

I hope that these situations all work out positively..... if not then perhaps there is work there that we can offer..... to others that fell like this was something other than about a novel/ unique & effective way to handle the spare tire situation..... i.e. Two to Tango!

I hope that we can go right thru/ past/ and around the feuding/ fighting that is likely to exhist.......
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
No feuding or fighting necessary

I agree the tongue is an optimal place to mount a spare. I do have Scott's original tire carrier from his TW and hope to have it mounted as on mine by the weekend (Thanks, Scott! ) It's designed to be welded to the rear bumper, that's what Airstream did for my particular model in my particular year. That doesn't necessarily mean that was the *best* way to do it. But after looking at pros & cons for my trailer, I've choosen to install it the way it was originally intended.

We've all seen Airstream design issues that made us scratch our head and seen changes or improvements over the model years with some. The point is to research and evaluate the risks vs. benefits. Consider modifications involved and do you have the resources to carry them out. What will give you the most bang for your buck and what could cause problems with your trailer design, i.e. rear end sag, weight distribution, etc. Like Silvertoy says, a spare is imperative, a must-have item. Don't leave home without it.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the diagrams and photo information. I'll measure up the space soon.

Presuming I do this type of carrier, how would you seal the under of the floor against the weather and highway muck?

Would you place the bellypan metal against the floor? If so how would you attach it? I can guess that vulkem would be involved too.

Cindy
Cindy,

If you click on the diagram and then inlarge it you will see the instructions for repair of the belly pan. Basically, cut to shape and screw to plywood floor and rivet to sides.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
This is a little late now but as you can see wkerfoot has the same diagram as I have so thank you for posting that info so that I did not have to.

I have a question, can you still buy or get the mounting brackets??????
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote