Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Spare Tire Extender?

Does anyone have any experience with using a spare tire extender hose? I rarely check the tire pressure of my spare and have seen advertised “spare tire hose extenders” that allow one to easily access the valve for inflating or checking pressure. I’ve also seen mixed reviews on the types of extenders. Any recommendations?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with using a spare tire extender hose? I rarely check the tire pressure of my spare and have seen advertised “spare tire hose extenders” that allow one to easily access the valve for inflating or checking pressure. I’ve also seen mixed reviews on the types of extenders. Any recommendations?
I used them on my old C class RV with "dualies" and had a tire go flat. Motion may caused the extender to leak at the connection. If you really can't get under the trailer to check the tire pressure often then try an extender and check the tire frequently to ensure it does not leak due to motion.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Easton , PA
I installed one. Easy project. I know of others who made the hose/connection/mount themselves, but I didn't want to deal with that, so I bought it from one of the online AS stores. To me the best feature is that seeing the valve stem in a visible place reminds me to check the spare tire pressure. Prior, I rarely would remember to check it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	394418  
Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I have used extenders in the past for car tires when full hubcaps were in use. They leaked, they may be better now.

I guess spare tire storage on every model of AS is different, but on mine I can just pull the cotter pin out and lower the tire and pull it out enough to check the pressure. I do it about once a year, when I 'summerize' it, removing the antifreeze and sanitizing the water tank.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
I used to have them on my dualie pickup. Never has a problem with them.

As for the AS, I do the same as Richw46 and check it annually and prior to a big trip. Mine is mounted with the valve stem down, so I don't even have to take it out. I just slide under the trailer with guage & check it.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
tempting, but

I was thinking something similar as I was laying under the AS routing wires and thought to check the spare pressure while there on my back. It was about 10lbs low.

Then it occurred to me that I travel with an air compressor. I think I will leave it at that for now, unless someone with more experience can help me with my logic.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Seems like a good application for TPMS. Better to have than not, in any case. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Agree with PKI. I bought the 6 transmitter TPMS version for that reason. That gives me one for the truck spare and one for the trailer spare. Now if I can just get around to installing them...
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
I was thinking something similar as I was laying under the AS routing wires and thought to check the spare pressure while there on my back. It was about 10lbs low.

Then it occurred to me that I travel with an air compressor. I think I will leave it at that for now, unless someone with more experience can help me with my logic.
It's been reported that the AS spare tire rack doesn't hold a flat tire in place very well. 10-20lbs low shouldn't be a problem though.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used one for a few years. It leaked, so was worse than crawling under there a few times a year.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote