Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I am a tweener.

I have a spare tire. Just not a spare wheel. So I carry the spare tire in my van when I tow.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I carry the spares for both the TV and the coach behind the rear seat of our van.
IIRC, Insideout has a spare tire carier behind her propane tanks.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Insideout has a spare tire carier behind her propane tanks.
She has flags too!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-01-2006, 08:09 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
plano , Texas
Question Where would I find brakets to mount spare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
That is where the spares were located for a long time. There are brackets for this, so the tire won't rub the shell.
I would like to mount my spare behind the propane tanks. I can move the propane forward but need a bracket to protect the trailer skin. Does anyone know where I can find this item?
2005 F150 Supercab w/ 5.4L, Tow Pkg, B&M Tran Temp, K&N Intake, JBA Exhaust, Hyperdyne Chip, Equalizer Hitch (Dorothy)
bbutler455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Check out TomW. He has a great site with details on his spare carrier. I just for get the address right now. But id you serch for TomW you can find one of his posts and there is a link to his site in his signature.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello everyone

Our 60 trdwnd has the battery box on the front . had a factory rear tire carrier . Doesnt have any frame issues or floor separation . Took it off right away .\installed a brand new bumper ,as original .I keep the spare in the travelall on the rear floor cargo area . no real problem there. I dont think having it underneath the trailer is a good idea (sorry) but they are heavy and difficult to handle ,who's gonna lay under the trailer and hold it up trying to secure it in its frame or holder ? Big hassel ,make it easy to deal with .Believe me after a blow out and all the stress ,going under to retrieve the spare tire on a single axle no less !? forget it .I had a blow out in my 60 trdwnd on friday night on I 70 just outside cheyenne at 8:00 .Talk about stess , just pulled out the spare from the travelall .No problem.there ,it was the outrigger (which is now replaced) that was bent down that caused the grief .Lucily I brought my small sledge hammer an a compliment of tools just in case and this was the case.

scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Other damage?

Scott -

Sorry to hear of your blowout! Sounds like a bit of a problematic situation if you had to get a sledge to get the outrigger back into a managable position....

What else got banged up? Sounded like more than the "put the spare on, and let's go" type situation.... Photos? Sounds stupid huh, sorry! Couldn't resist!

Anyway, all the best of luck!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
First Accident, "spare tire bracket"

Well, I am 1 week into my bambi 1999 ownership.I was moving it to the back yard.The incline is maybe 3 feet and I climbed the side walk with ramps.I got hung up on the spare Bracket.Dug in deep in the grass and loom.Bent the Brackets where the 2, 3/4 bolts attach to the frame.I took it off no more worries.I will carry spear in my truck bed.life is not fun with out little problems. Pss, my spare was not in carry, otherwise I would have more damage to the belly pan.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
SilverToy hello ,

The senario was that when the tube went in the split rim ,the tire went flat and turned to shrapnel quick ,tire was toast .As it was turning to " toast"it decide to rip out the rear outrigger .Absolutly no damage to the skin but did bash the inner fender well. I dont have any photos due to the fact that the at that time I was not real happy when I saw that outrigger yanked out of place. Was too busy trying to figure out the next plan ,the sleghammer !! Those outriggers at least on my trdwnd are tough ! got it back out of the way . Inner fender well was repaired .Not too bad as mine are metal . Damage about a 1/4 of it . Anyway this wasnt really the put it on than go ,but I will say that I did not have to go under the trailer and get the spare unbolted drag it out etc,etc. Open the tailgate and pulled it out and that was the only easy part of it. naturally as we all do I have excellent tires on it and look after them making certain that they are in the best condition possible.The original split rims had what looked like fairly new tires ,no cracks or wear ,but I m sure that the inner tube must have popped from heat then in no time the tire was gone .There was a dragging feeling on the trailer when it happened but no sway or anything except some extra bad noise and smoke !! The wyoming highway patrol,at least the officer who stopped , was really nice and helpful kudo's to him and them.

Scott ofscottanlily
Old 04-12-2006, 03:55 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I hope you have replaced the split rim wheels.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I picked up a uni-lug spare tire at an autowrecker that serves as the car and trailer spare. It is light weight and not intended for a long haul but will definitely get the car or trailer to the next tire service centre no problem. I also carry a couple of cans of flat tire/inflator in a can in case I'm on a busy freeway and trying to change a tire is life threatening - at least that will get me either to a spot off the road to do a safe change of wheels or to the next tire centre. I also have a small aluminum floor jack I carry in the car that works for the trailer as well and a four end wheel wrench that fits both the car and the trailer lug nuts.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello Action,
Most definatly they are gone!! We went to Big O tires in cheyenne .I pull out the shredded tire and split rim ,the guy looks at it and says we dont work on those ! (is everyone reading this sentence) I said great throw it in the trash and sell me new tires and wheels . the tires were greenball towmasters load range D 700-15 and yes it says towmaster on the sidewall . in most all boat stores that sell tires and rim assemblies the tires are towmaster . They got us all the way from wyoming to california in 100 degree weather ,no problems.Im sure that heat was instrumental in killing that inner tube in the split rim .Every one get rid of them period!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Scott,

You are lucky you didn't have a '59 Tradewind. A 7.00-15 won't fit.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Happy Spare fits....

Scott/ Mark etal -

Glad to hear that the replacement(s) went as well as it did.

Scott - Also glad to hear that the tire dying wasn't a major deal as it often can be. I am STILL thanking MY lucky stars that my blowout wasn't any a bigger deal than it turned out to be. As mentioned previously, there are MANY folks that have forked out HUGE $ from a seemingly minor blowout that was catasrophic, or not noticed in a quick time frame due to the terrific towing capabilities of the AS trailers.

Glad to hear the the replacements (tires & rims) were seemingly done in short time frames, costly to be sure!, but then safety has NO real monitary value - does it!? Not when it is my family!

See ya all out there!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote