Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Spare: Tire AND... Wheel match

The steel wheel as a spare tire for your Airstream or Tow Vehicle is a poor way to travel. If you have to replace the running wheel and tire with a poorly fitting steel wheel, some day, you may understand. Lug nut fit is different for aluminum and steel wheels. Some vehicles had a spare that does not match the other four.

The Airstream factory cuts corners when they have four matching wheels and tires on the ground and the spare is different. Why? A poor choice on their part.

Many tow Vehicles have a street tire on a steel wheel that does not match the other four. My Toyota Tundra comes to mind in 2014. My 2016 F350 had a matching spare... to those on the ground. A mistake? I think I already paid for it.

At least Airstream provides the matching tire... but my experience has been a steel wheel. The Sendel lug nuts do not fit well on the steel wheel. The wheel does make your trailer appear to be a poor combination, reflecting upon the owner. Not that the factory's poor choice for an expensive purchase.

When I remove the five 15 inch tires and wheels to convert to 16 inch, I purchase FIVE wheels and tire to match. When you put on the spare, it will fit well and for aesthetics... looks well.

Anyone who owns/owned an older 23 foot with the 14 inch Marathons... experienced this... often.

Most owners are indifferent to the steel wheel and lug nuts for a Sendel misfit. At the worse... at least find lug nuts that will seat the steel wheel.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Interesting observation...

2018 I replaced 5 GYM's with GYE's.

Last Season we did a 7k cross country, before leaving California for home I installed the spare.
Thought...might as well even the ware & make sure all is good.
Arrived in WNY 10 daze later...NPF.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2c4c.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	361593   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2c4d.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	361594  

Old 02-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bob... you have the 'Deluxe spare and wheel'.

Mine have been sprayed silver paint. If you price your 'deluxe spare' in comparison to the Sendel, the cost may the same or more than the aluminum option.

Hub Caps... price them compared to an aluminum wheel with a center cap.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Ray,

No actually, that is the stock AS wheel that's been chrome powder coated.
I just couldn't mount that nice new GYE on the rusty old wheel.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_29c5.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	361700  
Old 02-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Las Vegas drivers also drive on their spare tire to get some 'on the road' exposure.

They are not as nice as Bob's and about half the diameter.

To have Bob's setup, it would take five nickels per hand on a three hand Video Poker machine, Triple Double Bonus game, Royal Flush dealt on the first draw.

Sadly... those with the Mini Doughnut spare on their Mercedes, have not been lucky, lately.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Good idea to match the spare with the wheels and tires on the trailer.

Even though the tires on my Safari had plenty of tread and the spare was never used. I replaced them all Nov. 2019 because they were almost 10 years old. New 15" E-rated GYE's.

-Dennis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150818_122257.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	361702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190629_111041.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	361703  

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Good idea to match the spare with the wheels and tires on the trailer.

Even though the tires on my Safari had plenty of tread and the spare was never used. I replaced them all Nov. 2019 because they were almost 10 years old. New 15" E-rated GYE's.

-Dennis
That is good news about the new and improved Endurance tires. The guy who bought mine wanted those that came off our 2019. A win / win.

Do you Rotate the Spare Tire in the rack?

Some advise Airstream Trailer owners to rotate ALL their tires to get even wear? On the ground and... in the air?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
Changing Tires

I have a 2019 16' Bambi. Not that I need to at this point, but I was wondering how, when I do need to replace tires, does one do that? I can't see towing the AS to Discount tire to have the tires replaced. It would make more sense to take the tires and wheels off the AS and take those to Discount tire to get new ones mounted. If you remove both tires and take them in for replacement what do you use to hold the AS up with no tires in place? Thanks for your replies and expertise.
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Welcome Aboard...👍

^
I use two jack stands under the axle PLATE, never jack up the trailer using the axle.

POI...I also store off the ground thru the Winter, less stress on the rubber in the torsion axle.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5f7.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	361752   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_829.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	361754  

Old 02-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
That is good news about the new and improved Endurance tires. The guy who bought mine wanted those that came off our 2019. A win / win.

Do you Rotate the Spare Tire in the rack?

Some advise Airstream Trailer owners to rotate ALL their tires to get even wear? On the ground and... in the air?
Ray, Rotating the spare into the mix only makes good sense. No one accused me of having any of that. I know I could get increased mileage from 3 vs 2 tires. Call me lazy, I just never got around to it. A spare is a spare, just in case. So, when the 2 wear out (or just get old) I replace all 3 tires.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airlock
Changing Tires
I have a 2019 16' Bambi. Not that I need to at this point, but I was wondering how, when I do need to replace tires, does one do that? I can't see towing the AS to Discount tire to have the tires replaced. It would make more sense to take the tires and wheels off the AS and take those to Discount tire to get new ones mounted. If you remove both tires and take them in for replacement what do you use to hold the AS up with no tires in place? Thanks for your replies and expertise."

I take mine to my tire dealer. They know how to lift Airstreams and they get me in and out quick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"POI...I also store off the ground thru the Winter, less stress on the rubber in the torsion axle."

Bob, What a great idea!

Thanks
Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, when I upgraded to 16’s I purchased six identical wheels and tires for our FC27FB (the second spare rides in the bed of the truck).
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Ray, Rotating the spare into the mix only makes good sense. No one accused me of having any of that. I know I could get increased mileage from 3 vs 2 tires. Call me lazy, I just never got around to it. A spare is a spare, just in case. So, when the 2 wear out (or just get old) I replace all 3 tires.

Airlock
Changing Tires
I have a 2019 16' Bambi. Not that I need to at this point, but I was wondering how, when I do need to replace tires, does one do that? I can't see towing the AS to Discount tire to have the tires replaced. It would make more sense to take the tires and wheels off the AS and take those to Discount tire to get new ones mounted. If you remove both tires and take them in for replacement what do you use to hold the AS up with no tires in place? Thanks for your replies and expertise."

I take mine to my tire dealer. They know how to lift Airstreams and they get me in and out quick.

"POI...I also store off the ground thru the Winter, less stress on the rubber in the torsion axle."

Bob, What a great idea!

Thanks
Dennis
Dennis,

In California especially, it's also important to cover them for UV protection, and here, where it gets wet a lot, off the pavement.
This also works well on all rubber & plastic for UV protection.

Stream Happy

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_59.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	361797  
Old 02-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I use two jack stands under the axle PLATE, never jack up the trailer using the axle.🇺🇸
That's exactly where I told the guys at Discount Tire to place the floor jack. I was worried they'd go between the wheels and snap off the low point drain. Thankfully, a floor jack won't fit between the tires.
They thought the galvanized pan covering the tanks was the frame, and offered to jack there. "NO!"
But, they were willing to do anything I asked, so it was all good. But you need to be there.

In the event your blowout rips the tire off the rim, don't put the empty rim back in the spare carrier. It will fall out under the trailer while driving! Only works with a tire installed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
Changing Tires

Thanks all for your expertise, advise and photos! All good stuff...

Gary
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I carry two spares (on wheels, inflated) for both my AS and for my tow vehicle. Learned the hard way. Got a reasonably priced wheel for an additional 16” AS tire from Discount Tire - item # 62345. Functional, not intended to be pretty.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
They recommend every 5 years regardless of mileage. Discount Tire did mine at their store. Well done!
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Does anyone know what tire is on the spare itself?

Is the tire the same as the 4 other wheels and just a steel rim?

We are looking at replacing it so we have 5 identical tires.

Anyone know?

thanks,
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Ours were all the same at delivery...GYM.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Yep, got one of those fancy AS 14in painted steel wheels with a GYM on it that's never been on the road. Still holding air like the other four that are mounted on the OEM aluminum wheels. Of course the solution to keeping them alive was to protect them against UV 24/7. Is we locked them in the tool shed. No UV for them and they can't get out to hurt any unsuspecting ASs that don'e know how powerful they are.

The five new aluminum 15in wheels on the coach do work work well. And those splined Gorilla lugs hold them on like the AS engineers intended, but failed to specify.

Rotate your spare and replace it with the road tires. They all age out at the same time.

Hope to see you down the road with a smile on your face. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Just a personal preference... all spares work as designed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Does anyone know what tire is on the spare itself?

Is the tire the same as the 4 other wheels and just a steel rim?

We are looking at replacing it so we have 5 identical tires.

Anyone know?

thanks,
Chris
Chris. The spare tire when you purchased your Airstream will be the same. It is just the steel wheel.

I replaced our 15 inch steel wheel spare with a matching aluminum wheel. More for the 'satisfaction' that the trailer had four matching running wheels and tires... but when you have the running tire removed and repaired... it becomes the future Spare Tire and new.

I did not have to remove the Spare steel wheel, again, with the previous running wheel, repaired. Replacing a spare on a Single Axle is a JOB. On a double axle more of a Pain in the Back.

The spare also gets time on the road.

My five 16 inch Michelins/wheels all match and never have had to use the Matching Spare.