Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
High point , North Carolina
slow air leak in tire

I have a slow (5 lbs. a day) air leak in one of my 15" Michelens on my 23' flying cloud. Has anyone tried the canned tire patch like fix a flat? (I'm hoping that I don't have to take the tire off, but I don't want to have to keep fixing the same tire over and over)
Gmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
flat

What I do is spray water on the valve stem and see if it creates bubbles, so as to see if the valve stem is loose & leaking air. Sometimes all you need to do is get your small valve stem tool and tighten the valve core till its snug. ( if you see air bubbles in water).

I guess you already rolled the tire to see if there is a nail or screw in it? If there is, get the tire fixed or buy a new one.
Does it continue to go down if you don't put air in it the next day ? I wouldn't trust it.

I'm not a fan of 'fix a flat'. Maybe 'slime' in a emergency, ( if it doesn't have pressure sensors) but you should just take the tire off and get it fixed so you can trust it again. Sorry, there isn't really any other way not taking it off the trailer.

Have them re-balance it after getting it fixed.
Let us know how it goes
Have a good one !
Old 04-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
NO on the can of junk.

Take it to a tire shop and find out why it is leaking. Could be a rim leak, could be a nail, could be a bad valve. The point is get it fixed before it ruins the tire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
The use of temporary "stuff" squirted into a tire to stop/slow air leak can:

1. Void the tire warranty
2. Make the tire non-repairable
3. Make your TPM sensor fail.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Flat Repair

I would rule out tire repair in the can....Having been in the profession that could mask an issue in tire. Take it in and have it dunked in a tank. I've also experienced casting issues in alloy wheels that had pin holes that caused issues. Some manufacturers actually paint the inside of the wheel to curb any future issue's. In any case it could be something as simple as a valve stem as mentioned earlier or a small nail that is not visible.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
While cumbersome to remove the tire, your choice is to do it now in your driveway, or run the risk of doing it later on the side of the road. Last spring on taking the AS out of storage, 3 of 4 tires were fine. 1 was down 12 psi. I added air and did not think about it. After all, it had been in storage for 7 months. After first trip say 1,000 miles, the same tire was down again. Alarm bells in my head went off!!! Before my next trip, which was across country, I pulled the tire and took it to Firestone store. Nail. New tire. Fixed in my driveway. I was very lucky not to have a failure on the road. You rarely get to pick your place for changing a tire. When you do get to pick your own driveway, I would take it. Best of luck.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
All of the above. ^^^

I would only use a can of spray goo if it were a real emergency, meaning I was stuck somewhere unsafe and HAD to move the trailer.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Count your blessings you have this issue now and not while you are traveling.

Your tire is giving you a message. Waiting the message will be more urgent.

Take the trailer or just the tire to a tire shop. Save yourself some grief at a future time.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile slow leak

Also if have aluminum rims there is rubber gasket inside that seals metal stems and often times leaks slowly, common prob. if not installed properly. I def. would stay away from slime repair in a can, etc. Slime is good for off road equipt. such as skid steers, mowers, wheel barrows etc. or slo movers. and small type pin holes like thorns etc. Not recommended for high way use.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote