Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Screw In Tire. Repair or Replace?

Howdy,

Like title says... screw in my Goodyear ST225/75R 15 Endurance tire. Left in for now so may be short or long. Holding pressure fine. In middle of tread. A small diameter one judging by head... maybe 1/8".

Set of tires has ~2000 miles....2019's not a year old but I have to check date stamp. Plenty of tread!

I think spare is same full size so I could swap out on the alloy rim and decide later I guess....

Thanks,

Rounder44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would buy a new tire.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Screw In Tire. Repair or Replace?

In the middle of the tread, it’s easily repairable assuming they demount the tire and do a proper patch on the inside. Just punching a plug into it is not sufficient.

Close to the edge of the tread, or in the sidewall an honest tire shop would not attempt to repair it.

If the tire is not leaking down, it may not be in deep enough to cause an issue. Take it to tire dealer or reputable shop.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Mankind has been doing safe internal patches for almost a hundred years. My vote is a proper patch, not plug. Save your money for something good.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Repair with internal patch. It will be fine. Use as spare if you have any doubt. Just what I would do, for what it's worth.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Internal patch NOW; the screw may work itself in further and that's a problem. Discount tire did a puncture patch on a rear tire on my truck, and 10K later it was still holding air. (NO LEAK) Just saying.

mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
In the middle of the tread, it’s easily repairable assuming they demount the tire and do a proper patch on the inside. Just punching a plug into it is not sufficient.

Close to the edge of the tread, or in the sidewall an honest tire shop would not attempt to repair it.

If the tire is not leaking down, it may not be in deep enough to cause an issue. Take it to tire dealer or reputable shop.
Agree- only patch if needed, but may not go in far enough to cause leak if removed. I just went thru this and took mine to Costco...turns out it did not penetrate the core, so when removed, everything was fine. if it were to penetrate, I would have had them remove the tire, repair, and then be on my way...not a big deal..no need to replace from your description. I repaired many a tire in my younger years working for Chevron...patches work well.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks!

I'll patch and replace with spare.

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Agree with the recommendations for an internal patch (not a plug), as long as it isn't near the edge of the tread.

However, there are two types of internal patches. One is a simple flat patch, and the other is shaped like a little like a mushroom, and is installed with the stem being pulled through the tire from the inside. That results in the hole being filled, and the internal patch (cap) adhering to the inside of the tire to provide the seal.

No issues if it is repaired properly.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
My approach is a bit different.

1) remove tire and install spare.
2) take tire with screw to a good tire store and have them check and if possible install an internal patch. Like the mushroom type, but never seen one.
3) move the patched tire to the spare position (when we upgraded from 14in to 15in, all five got an identical alum wheel).
4) complete the trip.
5) replace the tire that was punctured and in the case of a dual axle coach, replace the tire that carried the load when the punctured tire lost air.

Now you have a single axle, so only one tire to replace. You have a steel spare wheel, so maybe you have the tire shop take the spare tire and put it on your aluminum wheel. Maybe the tire with the screw is not punctured and you continue to use it. Maybe it is punctured and you keep the patched tire as a spare. Most folks would do that.

The nice thing is it's your coach, your tires, your money, your decision. Go for it and enjoy your trip.

Like those 22s. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
If the screw has punctured the carcass then, with only 2K, I'd have them patch-plug the tire. You need to go to a good Tire Shop. No Walmarts, Costcos, Pep Boys, ect.
This is the manufacturer approved repair for most center tread punctures. At the dealership level we would usually charge ½ hour labor. Cost is usually 15 to 30% less than a new tire The repair will not leak if done properly.
Here's a quick look at the procedure.

Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Hole!

By all means just have it repaired!!! Nowadays most if not all tire shops use a sort of combination patch and plug. The plug portion is forced through the hole from the inside and seals off any moisture and road salt from getting to the reinforcing belts. An issue for steel belted tires. Not so much for anything else. With that small of a hole a basic inside patch will be just fine and will last just as long as the rest of the tires!!! All tires are engineered to have holes repaired a lot bigger than what you have! Guaranteed!!!

Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Agree. I had a roofing nail in the center of my tread, had it patched, never a problem for the 6.5 years I had the tires on the TT.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
I had a similar problem with one of my Goodyear Marathon tires years ago. A screw through the center tread but it leaked very slowly. Had it removed and patched. Reinstalled the tire and never had another problem with it. Replaced all four at 6 years of age with a new set of Marathons which are now about 5 years of age. Plan to replace them with GY Endurance tires in another year or two. So, yes, have the screw removed and the tire patched by a reputable tire shop. Don’t chance it running on a tire you know has a safety issue.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
In the tread, no problem. Good technology, good repair education.

In a sidewall, most repair shops will try to fix but, will urge replacement. Probably a throw-away - not even suitable as a spare.
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Hot Springs , South Dakota
patch

I have had tires patched in the past and had good luck. I would not use it as a spare. If you have a flat you don't want a spare tire that you don't have 100% confidence in. Do you have a tire monitor?
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Geez... if your tire is still inflated at the time of this post, remove the screw from the tread.

The screw could be from an Airstream interior and they are too short to damage a tire and also cannot hold cabinets together in the trailer, either.

Some tire service stations offer Free Flat Service. You can have the tire and wheel rebalanced after removal of the tire, or some shops will mark the original position on the wheel when they patch and reassemble.

With your newer tires, patch and balance. Never had any problems afterwards. I have not had a flat tire since junking my Marathon 14" C Rated tires on my 23 foot Safari. They were like a delicate balloon and anything would puncture the tread, if you call it that, and leak.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Thanks!

I'll patch and replace with spare.

R44
Well, what did you find out and end up doing?? We're all sitting here on a Saturday morning waiting to find out! Lots of advise here...put on the spare, don't put on the spare, don't go to Walmart to get fixed...I never knew there were so many do's and don'ts about fixing a tire....LOL
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Well, what did you find out and end up doing?? We're all sitting here on a Saturday morning waiting to find out! Lots of advise here...put on the spare, don't put on the spare, don't go to Walmart to get fixed...I never knew there were so many do's and don'ts about fixing a tire....LOL
Sometimes, using 'Premium Air' in a tire will avoid problems like this.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I'm not so sure about that. We had premium air from high elevation CO and it all leaked out when a screw attacked the tire. Likely the thick gooey stuff would do better at staying in the tire. They used to sell it in a tube. Brand was "Never Leak". Of course there is the Nitrogen brand, but it leaks out faster because of the smaller molecule just like premium clean clear mountain air from the rockies. Will say that premium stuff to breath, a good cup of coffee, and a night's quiet rest helps considerably with pulling out the wallet and paying the nice young lad his price to inspect and patch the tire. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote