Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Scary Tires On A New SOB Toyhauler

I went to the local rv dealer yesterday and walked past a trailer that looked like it had very small tires on it. The tires were 14”, a brand I didn’t recognize, a speed rating of 75 mph?, made in China, load range D and a maximum load of 2040 lbs. The GVWR was over 7,900 lbs. The hardware attaching the leaf springs looked chintzy too. The numbers say all is well, but I sure wouldn’t want to be towing this trailer down the road.

When I think about towing my 5,000 lb Airstream down the road on my GYE, load range E, tires with a maximum load of about 2,750 lbs I feel pretty good.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	310733Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	310734
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We see many rigs like this on the highway. Many times they are being towed by an under powered tow vehicle operated by a newbie RVer. You can often spot them as you pass by the death hold that the driver has on the steering wheel, along with the look of fear in hes eyes. I try not to linger in his wake.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
They've got to maintain a profit at those rock-bottom prices somehow. One of the senior guys software architects at my bought a new large bunkhouse sort of square travel trailer and when the tire blew they realized that it had lower-rated tires on the street side than the curbside. (?!)

Now, obviously my colleague should've noticed that as well, but there's no way that should've left the factory in that configuration either. At least he got the damage paid for by the manufacturer, which likely wiped out their profit on 3 similar units.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We see many rigs like this on the highway. Many times they are being towed by an under powered tow vehicle operated by a newbie RVer. You can often spot them as you pass by the death hold that the driver has on the steering wheel, along with the look of fear in hes eyes. I try not to linger in his wake.

Brian
Tires don’t explode at 1 pound over the rating or at 1 mph over rated speed. I see plenty of these doing 75 mpg behind big pickups every summer. Doesn’t mean I’d do it but you don’t see 20 of them in the ditch every weekend either.

What does them in is sitting all winter in storage then not even having the pressure checked before the first trip.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #5
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
The other thing I often notice on these entry price trailers is how many of them have the axles soooo far apart. What is up with that? Is it cheaper? I can't imagine how long those $8 china tires will last with the scraping/bending/leaning they must do on every turn with them so far apart from one another.

I really think the last thing many mfgs think about (let alone buyers) is how will it tow...…….
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Good point. It could be that the manufacturer was leaving room for a more appropriate 15” tire and wheel, but more than likely that is how the spacing worked out with the length leaf springs that the manufacturer wanted to use.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
The other thing I often notice on these entry price trailers is how many of them have the axles soooo far apart. What is up with that? Is it cheaper? I can't imagine how long those $8 china tires will last with the scraping/bending/leaning they must do on every turn with them so far apart from one another.

I really think the last thing many mfgs think about (let alone buyers) is how will it tow...…….
Allegedly the space is left in order to help the wheels track in more of a straight line, reducing sway.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Common salesman's expression

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Allegedly the space is left in order to help the wheels track in more of a straight line, reducing sway.
When confronted by a weakness of their product, savvy sales people frequently reply "Why, that's not a flaw it's a feature!"
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote