Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2023, 10:51 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 24X
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
I suggest that you try backing it up again and have someone video what is happening to the wheel as you back up. It should be helpful when you bring it to the dealer or contact Airstream service. Good luck.
+1.

When possible, always record videos and take pictures of the problems you are having, as it helps everyone else figure out how to help you best.

Traded in a 27' Globetrotter and then a 20' Basecamp X to go with a 2023 Interstate X
AirParkOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:36 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
I have never found a mechanical piston pusher that needs "adjustment" while in service. I have replace and serviced many of those types.
While true about the 'drum in disc' type that has shoes, ex. Toyota Previa, those are the Parking Brake shoes, not the disc pads. The actual disc pads do not ever require 'adjustment.'
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I suspect that the trailer in this post has drum brakes.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:59 AM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
Not be contentious but in my experience I have never had to (or been able to) "adjust" disc brakes. In my shop we have done hundreds of brake jobs over decades and only the drum brake jobs ever need adjusting.
It is true that nothing lasts forever but if I have to "adjust" a disc brake job, then I am replacing parts........
My bad, we are talking AS and they have "never adjust" DRUM brakes.

POI when we got new axles on "Cloudsplitter" the first thing I did was inspect and adjust the 'never adjust' drum brakes.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-27-2023, 09:03 AM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I suspect that the trailer in this post has drum brakes.
Yep...it duz, I just checked the '23 Gtrotter specs so I wouldn't confuse myself.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-28-2023, 06:54 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Arizona City , Arizona
We took the trailer out this weekend and have at least identified that it is something going on with the front wheel on the driver’s side. Both wheels start rolling backwards, the front one stops and locks up causing the rear wheel to lift, as was suggested by previous posters.

We have an appointment to drop it off with the dealer and get this fixed along Wigan couple of other minor items. I will report back what the dealer finds.
gypsycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #47
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsycoder View Post
Both wheels start rolling backwards, the front one stops and locks up causing the rear wheel to lift, as was suggested by previous posters.
My sofa diagnosis is that the self adjuster mechanism has come apart and parts are rolling around jamming the drum to the brake shoe.

Thanks for the follow up, we await the conclusion and hopefully a pic or two.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:32 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Anxiously awaiting the conclusion to this one!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:50 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Arizona City , Arizona
Finally have some updates for this.

Brought the trailer to the dealer, described the issue in detail to them, tried to demonstrate it to them, but it did not want to misbehave during the demo. We showed them a small video (not the one linked below) of it happening kinda, they said that would look at stuff.

They indicated that they had 'looked at stuff', which when questioned further indicated that they had removed the wheels and supposedly the brake drums on the offending side. Their report, nothing wrong, all normal. They also said that they tried to reproduce the issue driving the unit around their service area. Maybe they forgot that this seems to only happen after driving for a while. When we brought it back from the dealer and backed it into the drive, it did not seem to happen, so we were hopeful that them just taking it apart and putting it back together fixed something inadvertently.

Well, we got the unit back, and are now on a trip, we drove from Tucson, AZ to Deming, NM (a bit less than 300 miles) all of it while going forward. We then checked into the park, it took about 15 minutes for the registering, drove over to our back in campsite, I started backing in and my wife yelled for me to stop and took the video that is in the link below. The lift did not occur quite as obvious because we were on gravel and not on concrete or asphalt.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bVc...usp=share_link

If people could please comment what they think is going on, if they think this is 'All Normal!!' and other things I would appreciate it.

Needless to say, this is going up the ladder at the dealer, Airstream Mothership, and I will be contacting Dexter and ask them if this is 'Normal'.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:08 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Have you tried using a tire ramp to raise the offending tire off the ground and carefully spin in forward and reverse direction listening for anything? Then spin and apply brake forward and reverse direction listening for anything?

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:57 PM   #51
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I think its time for you to witness the drum being pulled and look for a normal brake or a broken brake system.

When parts get removed and inspections happen the existing dirt film on those parts is disturbed. Kinda like reading boot tracks in an old western movie. They went that away.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 03-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsycoder View Post
Finally have some updates for this.

Brought the trailer to the dealer, described the issue in detail to them, tried to demonstrate it to them, but it did not want to misbehave during the demo. We showed them a small video (not the one linked below) of it happening kinda, they said that would look at stuff.

They indicated that they had 'looked at stuff', which when questioned further indicated that they had removed the wheels and supposedly the brake drums on the offending side. Their report, nothing wrong, all normal. They also said that they tried to reproduce the issue driving the unit around their service area. Maybe they forgot that this seems to only happen after driving for a while. When we brought it back from the dealer and backed it into the drive, it did not seem to happen, so we were hopeful that them just taking it apart and putting it back together fixed something inadvertently.

Well, we got the unit back, and are now on a trip, we drove from Tucson, AZ to Deming, NM (a bit less than 300 miles) all of it while going forward. We then checked into the park, it took about 15 minutes for the registering, drove over to our back in campsite, I started backing in and my wife yelled for me to stop and took the video that is in the link below. The lift did not occur quite as obvious because we were on gravel and not on concrete or asphalt.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bVc...usp=share_link

If people could please comment what they think is going on, if they think this is 'All Normal!!' and other things I would appreciate it.

Needless to say, this is going up the ladder at the dealer, Airstream Mothership, and I will be contacting Dexter and ask them if this is 'Normal'.
That is “NOT NORMAL” - great job by your wife of capturing the problem. It sure looks like the front axle (on the left in the video) is binding up then releases and it jumps. Hopefully someone at Dexter or the Mothership can determine the root cause and fix it for you.

Hang in there - you have proof (you’re not crazy).
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 07:59 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
What I would do: Remove the drum myself and look for loose parts. Better yet, just replace the brake assembly. It is easier than you think. I had never done it before the day I had to remove loose brake parts from the drum. Couldn’t find a shop to do the work. Borrowed some tools from a neighbor at a campground. A few hundred miles later I replaced the brake assembly at a campground after buying a new brake assembly at an Airstream dealer and buying the two tools I needed at an auto parts store. I carry spare assemblies now. The Lippert assembly fits. Or pay twice as much for the Dexter. Both available on Amazon.

Also wondering if the magnet could be engaged when it shouldn’t be. You will hear a hum if the magnet is engaged. Or an old-school compass held near the wheel is a good detector of magnetic fields. If a sticky magnet is the problem, brake assembly replacement will likely cure it.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:13 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Globetrotter
Arizona City , Arizona
Thanks for the suggestions, if this unit was more than 3 months old, I would probably rip into it and fix the thing. As it was when we had it at the dealer they started indicating various things that I had “modified” and now are not under warranty, so I am not going that route currently so they cannot pull something like that on me.

Honestly the fact that I modified the bed slightly to provide additional support for the twin beds and keep the mattress from moving so the bed frame is not under warranty anymore I really don’t care. This is at a different level.

The first time this happened was when we brought the unit home from the dealer in late January, DW was ready to turn around and drive the hour back and give them a piece of her mind right then and there.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
If you're not going to pull the tires and brake drums off for an inspection at least purchase an infrared thermometer and take some temps after 100-200 miles of driving. Get tire and wheels temps. Shine it through the hole in the wheel and get brake drum temps. They should all be very similar. Of course the side the sun is on will be a few degrees higher. I bet that one giving you fits will be HOT.
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:29 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Is there ANY CHANCE that your technique of driving…while backing… that you press on the accelerator and brake simulaneously?

What brake controller do you have? Is it an OEM from your Tow Vehicle by chance?

Are you on ANY degree of “slope” when this occurs? (I’m thinking about how some brake controllers use an accelerometer which can also be confused by slope as a deceleration-event.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:13 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Rear is locking up is your foot on the brake pedal ? Remove the plug from your vehicle and see if it still does it ….if it does remove wheel and check them brakes making sure the shoes are correct nothing loose on the suspension
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:24 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
What I would do: Remove the drum myself and look for loose parts. Better yet, just replace the brake assembly. It is easier than you think. I had never done it before the day I had to remove loose brake parts from the drum. Couldn’t find a shop to do the work. Borrowed some tools from a neighbor at a campground. A few hundred miles later I replaced the brake assembly at a campground after buying a new brake assembly at an Airstream dealer and buying the two tools I needed at an auto parts store. I carry spare assemblies now. The Lippert assembly fits. Or pay twice as much for the Dexter. Both available on Amazon.

Also wondering if the magnet could be engaged when it shouldn’t be. You will hear a hum if the magnet is engaged. Or an old-school compass held near the wheel is a good detector of magnetic fields. If a sticky magnet is the problem, brake assembly replacement will likely cure it.
Can you please share any information regarding special tools you need to keep on hand to replace the brake assembly? Thanks in advance.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:33 AM   #59
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Can you please share any information regarding special tools you need to keep on hand to replace the brake assembly? Thanks in advance.
I replaced four backing plates in this thread but here is the R&R comments.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...-r-194437.html

Safety first. Raise trailer, jack stands and pull wheels. This axle has Nev-R-Lube bearings and hubs. Special tools required, an external snap ring pliers with small tips and a ˝” drive 1 7/16” socket for the Nev-R-Lube bearing nut.

Do not confuse service procedures for traditional tapered bearings and Nev-R-Lube procedures and torque specs. THEY ARE DIFFERENT.

Drum removal, caution a bit heavy. Inspect drums friction and magnet contact surfaces.

Circumstances and the owner’s choice were to replace all four brake assemblies with complete loaded backing plates and drums.

Backing plate removal, cut magnet wires very close to butt connectors, remove five nuts. New nuts were provided with new Dexter brakes.

Clean axle brake mounting flange and install new brakes, left and right hand are different.

Replace drum. These Nev-R-Lube bearings require 145-155 lb-ft on the nut and my ˝” torque wrench handled that. Replace the torque spec label and snap ring.

Gary
Old 03-21-2023, 05:41 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
That is definitely not normal.
Something is binding.

Unfortunately with brakes it can look ok but that doesn’t mean it is ok. One of my cars would make the most horrible moaning sound from the brakes when turning left. There was nothing wrong that could be seen, but the caliper bracket was bent causing the pad to contact the rotor when not braking. That one was very difficult to diagnose.

Good luck!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote