Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Johnson City , New York
Problem with unusual tire wear

I have a 25 ft 1985 airstream. I have four Good Year Marathon 15" load range D tires with 30,000 miles. I Keep them inflated at 60 to 65 psi. All tires were of the same date code, just under 6 years old. Three of the tires wore evenly and one curbside tire had very bad wear on both inside and outside edges. It looked like an indication of extreme under inflation, but the pressure was the same on all four tires. The tire was inspected by several "experts" at the tire dealer with no plausable reason given. No ply seperation was evident. I have a shop manual for the trailer and none of the tire wear symptons match. I don't think I have a bent axle or an alignment problem. A fellow Airstreamer thought it might be a bad shock. Does that make sense? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Hockey from upstate NY.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Have you checked the bearing adjustment? The obvious things that cause tire wear, besides alignment, you have already checked, or eliminated. I doubt a bad shock would cause that type of wear. A picture of the thread would help us help you troubleshoot.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Hard to tell without seeing photos, but a loose bearing can cause odd wear ... if it's real loose. Your description does sound like underinflation ... and you sound like you monitor things well. Was there a previous owner who may have let one tire get way low and overheated just once or twice and you're now seeing the result?

I'd also consider that your tires are about due for replacement, not due to miles but due to their age. And you might also be due for new axles ... unless they've been replaced somewhere along the line; the rubber might be hard and have a set, giving a hard ride and requiring more road compliance from the tires than intended. However, this would give you a hard ride and tend to bounce things around inside the trailer and likely cause all the tires to wear the same.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Johnson City , New York
Thanks for your replies. I did notice when I was checking the brakes on that wheel, that the bearing was a bit loose, but it did not seem excessive. I do not have the tire any more, as I left it when I bought new tires without taking any pics. The tire was not under inflated. The wear was even on both inner and outer edges, (down to a dangerous level) and the center had wear equivalent to the thread wear on the other three tires. The trailer has original axles without any refurbishment done. I am the second owner and I doubt the trailer has more than 60K miles on it. Regards, Hockey
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I have a 25 ft 1985 airstream. I have four Good Year Marathon 15" load range D tires with 30,000 miles. I Keep them inflated at 60 to 65 psi. All tires were of the same date code, just under 6 years old. Three of the tires wore evenly and one curbside tire had very bad wear on both inside and outside edges. It looked like an indication of extreme under inflation, but the pressure was the same on all four tires. The tire was inspected by several "experts" at the tire dealer with no plausable reason given. No ply seperation was evident. I have a shop manual for the trailer and none of the tire wear symptons match. I don't think I have a bent axle or an alignment problem. A fellow Airstreamer thought it might be a bad shock. Does that make sense? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Hockey from upstate NY.
Without a photo, it would be hard to tell with just the info provided.

But given that you have 6 year old tires, it is quite possible that the tire was separated and the "experts" didn't recognize the wear pattern as a symptom. I've seen otherwise knowledgeable people mis-read these things.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Exclamation GYM Belt Separation

I suspect you have what is known as "classic" GYM belt separation. I'm attaching a pic of a 3 year old rear roadside tire showing the unusual scalloped wear pattern. The tire actually has three other spots with the same wear. All of the other tires displayed normal wear.

This is an OEM installed tire on my 2010 28' Safari. There is no play other defects with the axle or bearings etc. The local Goodyear dealer admitted that it was caused by belt separation and offered to prorate a set of tires. I said NO thanks!

I discovered this yesterday while doing an inspection. Kudos to all the folks who have posted in this forum about GYM failure. You saved me costly problems!

Replacing my GYM today with Michelin LTX tires at Discount Tire.

My thanks again to Air Forums and all those who post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GYM.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	195946  
Old 10-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
30,000 miles and 6 years old, them babies would be gone and new installed, you are stretching it, if one blows you might have a damaged airstream, not worth it..on my big truck ,the 6 super singles onthe trailer, 2 would wear fast, 2 wouldn't wear out ,2 would develop abnormal wear, it didn't make any difference where they were located...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaken49 View Post
I suspect you have what is known as "classic" GYM belt separation. I'm attaching a pic of a 3 year old rear roadside tire showing the unusual scalloped wear pattern. The tire actually has three other spots with the same wear. All of the other tires displayed normal wear.

This is an OEM installed tire on my 2010 28' Safari. There is no play other defects with the axle or bearings etc. The local Goodyear dealer admitted that it was caused by belt separation and offered to prorate a set of tires. I said NO thanks!

I discovered this yesterday while doing an inspection. Kudos to all the folks who have posted in this forum about GYM failure. You saved me costly problems!

Replacing my GYM today with Michelin LTX tires at Discount Tire.

My thanks again to Air Forums and all those who post!
Before you acquire many miles on your new tires check the alignment of that axle. Take a straight edge, 8 ft. florescent light bulb or 3/4 in. EMT pipe across the center line of the tires. It should touch all edges of the tires. I suspect the trailing edge of the tire position posted will not touch the straight edge.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote