Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #101
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
In the really rural areas you get tires (and car parts) shipped in on the bus from a town on the bus route large enough to have a wholesaler. Same way you get your suitcase sometimes when the airline delays it.

I watched a guy pull a Airstream 400 miles on 3 wheels to get to Whitehorse in the Yukon to fix his broken hub and axle. It all went well. No damage to the trailer when the wheel left it and we found the tire and wheel a ways out in a meadow. There were extra parts and diesel mechanics along but they could not fix what was wrong with it on the road. Thirty five miles an hour is slow. We sorta took turns following him on the caravan. I think we had 2 camping stops on the way. He left the trailer in a parking lot at the junction and stayed in a motel while we were in Haines.
Hi

When the blown tire takes out the black and gray water setups along with the fresh water .... that's a problem. Toss in the panel blowing in the wind and we're not driving that one home.

Three wheels is ok, front tire takes out back tire and both wheels are gone. Probably not towing that as is ....

In an era where everything is out of stock, counting on getting *anything* in a timely fashion .... not sure that's a good bet. Getting it trucked in to someplace where "rush" means a week or two, you are stuck for a while.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
you hit a deep pot hole or curb hard and that will damage a tire no matter the age..

what were date codes on tires?? you remember.. mine are like 5013..

Don't remember exactly, but mid-2014. The one had two cuts all the way across the tire, rim to rim. I thought that might have been a pothole hit, but someone said not.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
As a result of this thread and because I needed them and I am headed out for 2 months in the southwest I went to my local Discount tire and had 4 new Michelin tires installed on the trailer. They knew how to jack it. They ordered the metal stems. Not sure I needed them or like the valve stems but they are on and the TPMS sensors are on and working. They worked on it hooked up on an apron of their shop. I have steel wheels and did not see how they tightened the bolts. Easy for me. I had bought 2 TV tires at a Discount tire in Colorado 3 years ago. Liked the store. Only one I had seen. Now there is one 3 miles from my house, all right turns to get there and home.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #104
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Now if I could just get them to move in 3 miles from here .....

It's not the cheapest alternative but I'm probably going to have my local garage swap the tires out when they pull the wheels and check / replace / rebuild the brakes / bearings / axles / subfloor / frame at the end of the month. Yes, there's a lot of combinations and permutations there. It does leave out the TPMS install part of the process ....

Bob
Old 09-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Just had 5 Agilis Crossclimate installed this morning at my closest discount tire store in Beaufort SC.27 miles away. They started at 8:00 am and were finished at 8:58 am. Very pleased with the service. Brought my torque wrench but they already had theirs out and asked what torque specification I wanted before they started. Everybody I dealt with had a good attitude and seemed like they cared about what they were doing. Not a thing you find around here every day. Funny thing is I had never heard of Discount Tire before this thread. Thanks all!
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:28 AM   #106
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
J Funny thing is I had never heard of Discount Tire before this thread. Thanks all!
The largest independent tire retailer in the US with over 1000 stores
https://www.discounttire.com/about-us/our-story

Action
Old 09-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
Just had 5 Agilis Crossclimate installed this morning at my closest discount tire store in Beaufort SC.27 miles away. They started at 8:00 am and were finished at 8:58 am. Very pleased with the service. Brought my torque wrench but they already had theirs out and asked what torque specification I wanted before they started. Everybody I dealt with had a good attitude and seemed like they cared about what they were doing. Not a thing you find around here every day. Funny thing is I had never heard of Discount Tire before this thread. Thanks all!
I got new truck tires at DT during the height of covid. Made an appt, drove straight into the bay, stayed in truck. Two techs worked and had me out in 45 minutes. A simple handoff of receipt (paid online before arriving) and was on my way. Seems covid has taught an extremely efficient way to provide services.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:37 AM   #108
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Rich,

Been a DT customer for 6+ yrs starting with conversion to 16's. First visit to a DT and I was in the shop at 8AM and saw a tech checking balancer calibrations with a master check weight. Watched them clean hub mounting surface on vehicles, auto air inflation system, torque wrenches and a 2 person back out of the bay procedure. A good website, price matching, scheduling and that 45 min 4 tire turn around they got this pretty well figured out.

DT tires on my AS, 2005 Dodge Ram, VW Beetle and Linda's Corolla.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Rich,

Been a DT customer for 6+ yrs starting with conversion to 16's. First visit to a DT and I was in the shop at 8AM and saw a tech checking balancer calibrations with a master check weight. Watched them clean hub mounting surface on vehicles, auto air inflation system, torque wrenches and a 2 person back out of the bay procedure. A good website, price matching, scheduling and that 45 min 4 tire turn around they got this pretty well figured out.

DT tires on my AS, 2005 Dodge Ram, VW Beetle and Linda's Corolla.

Gary
When I went to 16" for the AS, quite awhile ago, I carried in the new wheels and had them install the tires. They had a problem with their mounting equipment and gouged all four brand new rims. I was ready for battle! When the manager came out, he said I have already ordered you four new rims and mount & balance install will be free. Kinda took all the wind out of my sail.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #110
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

DT seems to be quite good at selling at one location and servicing the tires at another (possibly far distant) location. That's what got me looking at them in the first place. For some reason, I don't notice problems when the trailer is in storage here at home

Bob
Old 09-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #111
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
Discount Tires is a large tire retailer. Their advantage is being able to find a store while traveling for maintenance/repair purposes.

Les Schwab is another retailer that has stores more-closely located in Western States (500) but not in the East.

If you buy from two of the manufacturers stores operated by their own named stores (Goodyear & Cooper Tire, but not Michelin) who manufacture in the USA primarily) they also have national coverage. Their advantage is slightly deeper discounts than a pure reseller can provide. But it's very close.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #112
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
When I went to 16" for the AS, quite awhile ago, I carried in the new wheels and had them install the tires. They had a problem with their mounting equipment and gouged all four brand new rims. I was ready for battle! When the manager came out, he said I have already ordered you four new rims and mount & balance install will be free. Kinda took all the wind out of my sail.
I went to apples but when I found out the local Goodyear had oranges at the same price AND gave a Veterans discount, I got them there.
Plus they balanced my oranges for free.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-20-2021, 08:23 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
excellent service for sure.. Out west the are called America's Choice they will take your rims and have them "repaired" and sell them for some recovery of the cost.

have to ask how the gouged them.. most of the time they are super careful on my AS 16" rims when i take them in.. recently had to get a valve stem replaced that was leaking a bit. they are great. they do like to bug you about date codes. my tires are 5013 date code and they are like after 7 yrs they recommend replacement.. but in small print on the signs they will continue to repair, balance till 10 yr mark i believe i remember seeing.. (looking to see if i took a pic. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
excellent service for sure.. Out west the are called America's Choice they will take your rims and have them "repaired" and sell them for some recovery of the cost.

have to ask how the gouged them.. most of the time they are super careful on my AS 16" rims when i take them in.. recently had to get a valve stem replaced that was leaking a bit. they are great. they do like to bug you about date codes. my tires are 5013 date code and they are like after 7 yrs they recommend replacement.. but in small print on the signs they will continue to repair, balance till 10 yr mark i believe i remember seeing.. (looking to see if i took a pic. )
I was told, and it made sense, that the mounting machine had an issue whereby the bar that rolls the tire onto the rim kept slipping and produced a gouge on the outer face of the spokes. Whether that was the case, or operator error, that appeared to me to be the cause.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #115
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Well, there are quality machines as well as quality installers.
l'll wager on the installer.
We used quality machines at the dealership and I repaired more than a few customer wheels because the 'tire associate' didn't associate the tire and machine correctly.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well, there are quality machines as well as quality installers.
l'll wager on the installer.
We used quality machines at the dealership and I repaired more than a few customer wheels because the 'tire associate' didn't associate the tire and machine correctly.

Bob
🇺🇸
Probably.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:53 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
many time the machine is only good as the operator.. bummer for sure. but they made it right.. that the mark of a quality customer focused company that also respects their employees from what i have been told by workers when there getting service.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #118
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Since I am not a big fan of threads that wander off and you never know how they turn out ....

My "local guy" swapped out all 5 tires for the "C" rated Agilis. It would have been cheaper to do at Discount Tire, but this way I got the brakes checked at the same time.

Bob
Old 10-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #119
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Goodness, Bob. Are the "C" rated tires sufficient?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #120
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Goodness, Bob. Are the "C" rated tires sufficient?

Pat

Yes… I saw that the other day and thought the same thing but I was waiting for someone else to bring it to light.... what's up?

Bob
🇺🇸