Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I've heard it said that it is more often the rearmost tire that goes flat. Front tire kicks up the nail and the rear one snags it. Happened to me once with a 3 inch long bolt.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Maybe a flat, but this was a blowout.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #83
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
2 things to comment on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Maybe a flat, but this was a blowout.
Most people can't tell the difference between 1) a simple punctured tire that gets destroyed because it is being operated flat, 2) a tire that runs over an object that damages the tire and lets all the air out rapidly, and 3) a tire that has a structural failure (not caused by outside influences). People use the word "Blowout" for all 3 of these, but they are quite different things.

The first 2 are just a consequence of the tire being inflated and the risk is the same regardless of the tire manufacturer.

But the last one can be tied to tire manufacturers - as well as operator error.

So be careful when discussing tire failures. It's easy to make an assumption about the cause of failure that would be completely false and lead one to spend money unnecessarily.

Quote:
OK, as of Monday morning I now have Michelin tires on the trailer. I can only say Discount Tire are good people to do business with. Time will tell about the Michelin's.
In some respects, I am surprised Discount Tire put those tires on your trailer. I just had a run-in with them, and they insisted that I needed to use ST tires for my trailer. Perhaps the difference was the individual store personnel (or management). Nevertheless, just be aware that folks may encounter difficulties changing over from ST tires.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Take in loose wheels and tell them they came off an old 4x4 Suburban. I have had issues with Sam's club as well. I really get irritated when a 20 yr old kid tries to tell a 50 year old engineer what tires I should be using.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
"...be careful when discussing tire failures. It's easy to make an assumption about the cause of failure that would be completely false and lead one to spend money unnecessarily."

==========

My personal experience:

• 2005 to 2011 - Owned 6 ST tires; 3 GYMs, 2 Maxxis, 1 Carlisle. Had 3 tire failures; one blowout (GYM) and two belt separations (one GYM and one Maxxis).

• 2011 TO 2014 - Owned 2 LT tires; both 16" Michelin XPS Ribs. No tire failures.

Do I care why the ST tires failed; and do I think I wasted money, unnecessarily? -- No.

It's like in the movie "The Jerk" -- It's the cans, it's the cans!...

Well, duh. It's the (ST) tires!

Just my opinion...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I know this thread is about Lt tires, but I just have to chime in. I have owned 12 ST tires, all GYM. My first set I replaced after 7 years. OEM, load range C. Made in Canada. No problems. My second set I replaced after 7 years. Load range C. Made in China. No problem. My third set have been on 2 years. Load Range D. Made in China. Added centramatics for these (noticed open drawers; before, but not after). No problems. I frequently check pressures and usually inspect the tires after about 2hrs of driving. Generally drive at or under the speed limit. And probably the most important fact, I'm up north or in the mountains in the summer. I'm almost never on the road when the air temperatures exceed 80 degrees. Maybe that's my secret... or maybe I've been lucky!
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
I know this thread is about Lt tires, but I just have to chime in. I have owned 12 ST tires, all GYM. My first set I replaced after 7 years. OEM, load range C. Made in Canada. No problems. My second set I replaced after 7 years. Load range C. Made in China. No problem. My third set have been on 2 years. Load Range D. Made in China. Added centramatics for these (noticed open drawers; before, but not after). No problems. I frequently check pressures and usually inspect the tires after about 2hrs of driving. Generally drive at or under the speed limit. And probably the most important fact, I'm up north or in the mountains in the summer. I'm almost never on the road when the air temperatures exceed 80 degrees. Maybe that's my secret... or maybe I've been lucky!
Or maybe, you have that finely tuned skill of exaggeration, that is often attributed to those living in Texas.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
You must be right. I've recently been spending summers in Colorado (Ouray), your neck of the woods. I'm beginning to believe everything a Coloradoan tells me....

Jim
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
You must be right. I've recently been spending summers in Colorado (Ouray), your neck of the woods. I'm beginning to believe everything a Coloradoan tells me....

Jim
The thin air causes us to see things in a different way. .

I'm sure you have heard of achieving enlightenment.

We here have achieved delightenment. Of course the legal pot helps in that goal. It makes us easily delighted.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
I have 16" Michelins LT's. I am over 40,000 miles without incident. Did a lot of driving (over 20,000 miles) with temps approaching 100 degrees out West.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
2 things to comment on:

Most people can't tell the difference between 1) a simple punctured tire that gets destroyed because it is being operated flat, 2) a tire that runs over an object that damages the tire and lets all the air out rapidly, and 3) a tire that has a structural failure (not caused by outside influences). People use the word "Blowout" for all 3 of these, but they are quite different things.

The first 2 are just a consequence of the tire being inflated and the risk is the same regardless of the tire manufacturer.

But the last one can be tied to tire manufacturers - as well as operator error.

So be careful when discussing tire failures. It's easy to make an assumption about the cause of failure that would be completely false and lead one to spend money unnecessarily.

In some respects, I am surprised Discount Tire put those tires on your trailer. I just had a run-in with them, and they insisted that I needed to use ST tires for my trailer. Perhaps the difference was the individual store personnel (or management). Nevertheless, just be aware that folks may encounter difficulties changing over from ST tires.
Although it's been many years since I've had a blow out, I do know what one sounds like, and this was definitely a blow out. Besides, I had checked all the tire pressures about 30 minutes before with the TPMS, and all were good.

Even my wife heard it when it went POW, and asked what it was. About five seconds later the TPMS went into alarm, so I know it was working also. Then in another five or so seconds the tread and other rubber parts started flying, which was what did all the damage to the trailer.

Other than the tire, and the damage it did, it was actually a non-event as far as driving the rig was concerned.

We got home about 2 this afternoon, and very tired from driving about 2000 miles in about three days with no trailer brakes, but that's another story. I do not recommend it, by the way.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
very tired from driving about 2000 miles in about three days with no trailer brakes, but that's another story. I do not recommend it, by the way.
That's a teaser for sure! What happened to the brakes? connecting wires torn by the tire, or totally an unrelated issue? Would wires to one wheel ripped off shut down all brakes?

We want know! Well, I do anyway! tell us the other story!"

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Steve, apparently TPMS did not save the trailer from damage?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
That's a teaser for sure! What happened to the brakes? connecting wires torn by the tire, or totally an unrelated issue? Would wires to one wheel ripped off shut down all brakes?

We want know! Well, I do anyway! tell us the other story!"

Brian
Actibrake actuator failed. Totally unrelated to the tire blowout.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Steve, apparently TPMS did not save the trailer from damage?
No Doug, it will only tell you when you loose some air pressure. In the event of a blowout, the pressure is lost quickly, and then it alarms.

The tire shop that replaced the tire seemed to think it blew out because of a separation, and then after the blow out the tread came off the tire and that's what did the damage to the trailer.

Interesting that I never had an ST tire fail, but because fear of the damage it would cause, went to 16" LT tires a little over two years ago to prevent this exact thing from ever happening. Best laid plans........
Old 07-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #96
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear about your problems. Glad Discount Tire took care of things.
We're these BFGs on the 34er when you bought it?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear about your problems. Glad Discount Tire took care of things.
We're these BFGs on the 34er when you bought it?

Thanks Lance, no they were the on the 31', and then I bought two more to make a set for the 34'. The one that blew was one of the older ones. It had a build date stamp of 2411, and the best I can calculate it had just under 30K miles on it.

Don't really mind the tire that much, it's all the stuff it destroyed when it went that's bad, but I'll fix it.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #98
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Oh I see. Yeah, a tire isn't such a big deal, but the trailer it shreds is a big deal. Really hate to hear of these things.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
No, Siegmann, not luck... sounds like you are doing all of the right things like frequently checking pressures, inspecting your tires, driving at or under the speed limit (65 mph for ST tires), etc.

I replaced our original Marathon tires with new Marathons that continue to work just fine (knock on wood!) and hopefully because I am doing the right things as noted in my AirForums' post #511, "The updates continue...", on "SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last!".
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
So I read the first page, part of the 4th page and 7th page, quick question:

If I really want to keep my cool early 15" rims with baby moon caps what are my tire options?

Is there a 225/75r15 tire in an LT configuration in a decent load range of 2000 lb per tire or higher?

I REALLY do not want to have to change rims to go to 16" size.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote