Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
Well with nitrogen from Penna to Florida for th winter and back never need to air tires. heck and ok

it appears that some folks that don't want to pay for nitrogen are the same folks that don't like paying camping fees????

I like the nitrogen

Earl
I find the bold portion of your post insulting. I happily pay campground fees to get the amenities I want. I will not pay for nitrogen, because I consider it a totally unnecessary expenditure in time, money, and effort for any normal driving. We recently drove from Washington state to Colorado to pick up our Airstream which had last been used in September of last year. It was in open covered storage with electricity for over 9 months. I packed up a bunch of tools and my air compressor to get it road worthy. After inspection, there was absolutely nothing that had to be done to tow it comfortably and safely. The tires had last been inflated with genuine air about 9/1 2014. They are 16 inch Michelin LTs. They had been inflated to 80 Psi then towed to Salem, OR and back to Colorado and placed in storage with no work done except winterizing. When I checked the tires upon arrival in Colorado all five tires were at or above 75 PSI in the shade. I felt that was certainly sufficient for a basically unloaded trailer and did not even get the air compressor out of the truck. It is now here in Washington still not in need of tire air. As far as I'm concerned going all the trouble, time, and, money to use nitrogen is about the same as buying lottery tickets, except there is zero chance of winning anything. It is for people who are not good at math or accounting and possibly also physics and chemistry.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
NITROGEN versus "AIR" in your Trailer Tires

Have another beer, Ken. My granddaddy switched to Olympia in WWII once they moved to Hanford, WA from a previous lifetime of Coors back in Colorado. They say that local products are the way to go. Easier on the man. Still undergoing radionucleotide differences from Rocky Flats to Hanford.

Me, I stick to refineries. Carboniferous. Not quite as beerluminescent as you Westerners. A weaker glow. Certainly less wit.

Air is air. I've considered buying nitrogen tanks for easy tire refill. But with ten tires it's just too much trouble. The best 12v compressor with tank would be a more useful discussion. Rated duty cycle and all that.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Have another beer, Ken. My granddaddy switched to Olympia in WWII once they moved to Hanford, WA from a previous lifetime of Coors back in Colorado. They say that local products are the way to go. Easier on the man. Still undergoing radionucleotide differences from Rocky Flats to Hanford.

Me, I stick to refineries. Carboniferous. Not quite as beerluminescent as you Westerners. A weaker glow. Certainly less wit.

Air is air. I've considered buying nitrogen tanks for easy tire refill. But with ten tires it's just too much trouble. The best 12v compressor with tank would be a more useful discussion. Rated duty cycle and all that.
I'm a Washington native, born and raised here. My mammy weaned me on OLY beer. I could never develop a taste for Coors. I'm guessing I'm just not a Banquet kind of of guy. I mostly experimented with micro brewery stuff in later life. About 7 or so years ago, I gave up a lot of eating/drinking vices including all alcohol. however I still love the beer taste, so I drink a fair amount of non alcoholic beer (mostly European, they have a lot more selection than the US). I always carry a 12V Warn compressor when traveling. At times, I also carry a 5 gallon external air tank if I will have a lot of inflating to do. (blow up girlfriends, water toys, and such).

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:27 AM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Weaned on Oly could be explanatory.

I've got a 120v compressor with tank that is fast, but am looking at 12v with tank.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote