Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Iron Station , North Carolina
Newbie Tire/Brake Question

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 1967 Sovereign that has been sitting for several years. I had it checked out by a local trailer mechanic, and he says it needs 5 new tires, new brakes and backing plates, and new bearings in each hub.

Considering it's age i don't think that's unreasonable, but was hoping somebody with some more experience could tell me if $1750 is a reasonable price for parts and labor?

Thanks in advance!
DaveS411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Price sounds reasonable for what you're describing, but on that vintage are you sure you don't need to replace axle(s)? If they're not solid axles but Dexters or similar, they may be shot or near it. New axles come with brakes and hubs. I doubt I'd spend money for a fifth tire. Our 87 Sovereign has no place for a spare anyhow. We have a roadside assistance plan, and I'm told you can limp short distances slowly on 3 tires if necessary. If I did have a spare, it would be a used one, figuring it would have to be replaced in about 5 years even if it had never been on the ground.

My 2 cents as a relatively new guy -- you'll get lots of opinions and no doubt some will be better than mine. I'd ask a knowledgeable Airstreamer in your area to have a look-see.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Iron Station , North Carolina
Thanks--that sounds like good advice all around. I'm not sure about the axles, but I'll find out.

Thanks,
Dave
DaveS411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
At some point you will need the new axles and you might as well get then now as they will give you all the new brakes and bearings. You also will have a chance to get grease fittings for the bearings, or never lube bearings. Then 4 or 5 tires. You might consider 16" replacement wheels with 16" tires if they will fit your AS. In general, it seems to be a smart move as you can use LT tires rather than ST ones which have had a very spotty reputation for reliability.

In other words, you are going to spend quite a lot of money on tires and brakes and you will still have an old system. I bet for not much more (guessing another thousand or two) you can get it all updated to much better 2012 equipment.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote