Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Bambi Hunter

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Los Angeles , California
Newbie Spare Tire Question...

I hope this doesn't sound too silly, but is it possible (and more importantly, safe) to use the miniature spare tires standard in many passenger cars on a 6.0 Metre Minuet as temporary transportation until 15 inch radial is repaired? Thanks.

Tim
Tim Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I doubt VERY much that it would be safe. Even if there were a spare tire wheel that would fit. I would not take any chance with using such a spare. Also, I may be wrong, but I have been lead to believe that radials should not be used on a trailer. Anyone wish to correct me?

Neil...and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
First Blush is NO. The first problem is weight rating should be at least a C range. Second problem is can you get an emergency spare with a 6x5 1/2 bolt pattern. Third problem would be the profile of the tire too small in height, this would cause all sorts of weight shifts by not being level side to side. Fourth problem would be rim offset you need to match what is there for clearance and tracking.
I would say, I would not do it, just too many variables to risk my Minuet.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
I doubt VERY much that it would be safe. Even if there were a spare tire wheel that would fit. I would not take any chance with using such a spare. Also, I may be wrong, but I have been lead to believe that radials should not be used on a trailer. Anyone wish to correct me?

Neil...and Lynn
Radials are not a problem. newer trailers are coming stock with raidial tires.
I personally have been using them for better than 13 years no problems.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie Spare Tire Question...

Greetings Tim!

I agree with Gary -- too many variables that could pose problems, my particular concern would be sway caused by the combination of weight shift due to different diameter and the very narrow footprint of the temporary spares. Many of the vehicles that would have had the combination of the necessary bolt pattern and center opening diameter did not come with temporary spares nor would they have had the proper offset.

I too, have utilized only radials on both my '64 Overlander International as well as on my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre for the past twelve years without problem -- in both cases, I am running Marathons -- ST 205 75 R15 load range C on the Minuet and ST 225 75 R15 load range D on the Overlander.

A properly rated rim for your trailer is not terribly expensive, and having the correct tire/rim comination insures that you won't be in the situation of being unable to find an ST replacement tire if you experience a flat or blowout that cannot be repaired -- where I spend most of my time in Southern Illinois, my dealer often must order Marathon ST tires necessitating a 24-to-48 hour wait for a replacement.

If you are concerned about the space required to carry the spare in your tow vehicle, you might consider having a spare tire carrier fabricated to carry the spare behind the LP tanks on the hitch -- this was the way that it was most often handled on the Minuet when our coaches were new. I am planning to have this done for my Minuet since my Cadillac has precious little trunck space when it carries spare tires for both the car itself as well as the Minuet.

Good luck with your search for a spare for your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
To add to what the others have said, the temporary spares do not have the weight carrying capacity for your coach.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
So, what about a spare? More importantly, where do you keep a spare. My Arogosy 24 does not have an obvious place to put a spare. I am going to take my Argosy on our first camp out as short of a shake down and I really do not want to travel without a spare.

Thanks, Tim for asking this question. It reminded me that I needed to know the answer myself.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Trailer tires are a minimum 6 ply and most are 8 ply tires. Auto's are 4 ply.
Then you're talking one of those "mini" spares?

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Michigander
So, what about a spare? More importantly, where do you keep a spare. My Arogosy 24 does not have an obvious place to put a spare. I am going to take my Argosy on our first camp out as short of a shake down and I really do not want to travel without a spare.

Thanks, Tim for asking this question. It reminded me that I needed to know the answer myself.
I know the feeling with not carrying a spare. Our TV is a Buick so no room in there and I do not want to lug a spare in and out of the coach. I 'temporarily' mounted my spare under my tanks up against the tonque and the front of the coach. Kinda half way under. I needed to push it back as far as I could to give clearance for the WDH. By temporarily I mean to have a neighbor weld me a carrier for behind the tanks. However, under the tanks location is working so well that I may give it more time before relocating the spare. I don't have a photo to share but if interested I will take one and share. The beauty of the creation is it took almost no special tools or materials.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
. . . I don't have a photo to share but if interested I will take one and share.
Neil and Lynn.
I wanna! I wanna! I wanna!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
So, what about a spare? More importantly, where do you keep a spare. My Argosy 24 does not have an obvious place to put a spare. I am going to take my Argosy on our first camp out as short of a shake down and I really do not want to travel without a spare.

The spot for your spare is under the front center of your trailer, between the A-Frame where it goes into the belly pan. There is insulation there under the floor, so when the belly pan is removed in that area, there is still insulation. Spare tire brackets are still available from Airstream.
Now, if you have a two axle trailer, the accepted method of dealing with a flat is to run the non-flat tire up on some wood blocks, and remove the flat tire. Travel at a reduced speed (around 45-50 mph) to a tire repair shop.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
Me too. I wanna see it too...
Old 06-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The spot for your spare is under the front center of your trailer, between the A-Frame where it goes into the belly pan. There is insulation there under the floor, so when the belly pan is removed in that area, there is still insulation. Spare tire brackets are still available from Airstream.
Now, if you have a two axle trailer, the accepted method of dealing with a flat is to run the non-flat tire up on some wood blocks, and remove the flat tire. Travel at a reduced speed (around 45-50 mph) to a tire repair shop.
So, since my Argosy 24 has a tandem axle I is not absolutely necessary for me to carry a spare. Is that what you are telling me?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
So, since my Argosy 24 has a tandem axle I is not absolutely necessary for me to carry a spare. Is that what you are telling me?
Yes.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
I like that idea. More funds to allocate to updating.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
Bambi Hunter

Los Angeles , California
Thanks for all of the sage advice. We'll identify ourselves at our FIRST rally (So Cal rocks!) as the Minuet w/ the proper spare and the AAA Advantage Plan.
...now that I mentioned AAA, any stories of pass experiences w/ AAA during a trip? Thanks.

Tim
Tim Can is offline   Reply With Quote