Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
New Tires, thoroughly confused

I've been reading tire posts and am thoroughly confused. Here's my rig: 1964 Globetrotter, 2900 "dry" weight, guess 3800 gvwr, for argument, we're minimal campers and don't have more than what I can carry in one trip in the trailer.

15" wheels, new axle. Do I go with LT tires, or will ST be adequate- are LT too stiff and cause problems with transmitting vibration to the trailer? Are ST load D going to be too stiff, Load C not strong enough?

225/75 or 235/75, or /70, do minimal differences matter?

Hankook or Bridgestone or Michelin? Marathons seem to be problematic, or are they? I use Michelins for everything and have for years, but if the trailer is only used a few thousand miles a year and new tires every 4-5, maybe the less expensive ones are okay? (as I write that, I think a hundred or so dollar difference isn't significant for such an important item)

The tires on it now are crap, just put on in a pinch to move it and there they've stayed. Now I see there is de-lamination of the tread on one, so we're not going anywhere until this is solved.

Mostly, I don't want to mess up the trailer with the wrong tires. Performance is the main issue, and tailored as much as possible to the trailer, use etc.

So, maybe continuing to flog a dead horse, but I'm hoping this cuts to the chase. Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
So much information here on tires. I would think any modern tire you install will be better than the tires that were orginal to the trailer. Airstreams have been towed on GYM tires and 15" wheels for years. The whole 16" wheel and Michelin LT tires is a realtive new idea and certianly has merit. Your trailer will not self destruct if you you do not go that route. Inspection and a good TPMS will serve you well not matter what you choose. I don't like stiff tires or supension on my trailer and I also adjust my air pressure to the manufactures recommendations. I have a GYM on my 28 and will use them for 2 to 3 years with careful inspection as I would do with any trailer tire. I can't go to a 16" rim due to a physical limitation of the area I park the trailer in, yes it is that close. I tow my tandem boat trailer with 14" rims and Chinese tires, I use the same TPMS as I do on the Airstream, just move the sensors. A lot of tire issues can be avoided with good pratices and watch your speed. Good luck.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Michelin M/S 235 x 75 x 15 on my 56's. A 235 would not fit the wheel well on my 66 Caravel. Airstream still uses Marathons on theirs and I have not had problems with those. You can easily go berserk with worry....don't do that....don't fall into the tire quagmire as seen here in the Forums. Air 'em up correctly, check 'em regularly and use 'em.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I've been reading tire posts and am thoroughly confused. Here's my rig: 1964 Globetrotter, 2900 "dry" weight, guess 3800 gvwr, for argument, we're minimal campers and don't have more than what I can carry in one trip in the trailer.

15" wheels, new axle. Do I go with LT tires, or will ST be adequate- are LT too stiff and cause problems with transmitting vibration to the trailer? Are ST load D going to be too stiff, Load C not strong enough?

225/75 or 235/75, or /70, do minimal differences matter?

Hankook or Bridgestone or Michelin? Marathons seem to be problematic, or are they? I use Michelins for everything and have for years, but if the trailer is only used a few thousand miles a year and new tires every 4-5, maybe the less expensive ones are okay? (as I write that, I think a hundred or so dollar difference isn't significant for such an important item)

The tires on it now are crap, just put on in a pinch to move it and there they've stayed. Now I see there is de-lamination of the tread on one, so we're not going anywhere until this is solved.

Mostly, I don't want to mess up the trailer with the wrong tires. Performance is the main issue, and tailored as much as possible to the trailer, use etc.

So, maybe continuing to flog a dead horse, but I'm hoping this cuts to the chase. Thanks
I'll stay out of the brand controversy.....but the LT designation indicates said tire is a Light Truck & Trailer tire.

Chews wisley

I've used GYM's since new....2 sets.

Bob
Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks- this quickly became analysis paralysis for me. My tendency in my work is to over engineer stuff slightly, but more importantly strive to make things work together, and there is the trick. With the single axle, I want the widest margin of safety I can come up with (afford/find) as well as something that will not bounce the trailer apart.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Our 71 had Michelins that were probably from the 1980s when we bought it; they were LT tires... I replaced them with Michelins LT 15" tires... tows & stops great. We're dual axle, so tires have lots of margin in this application - they run very cool.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Thanks Bart, I keep thinking for the small difference in price, the Ms are the way to go.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Well, I got my tires, Goodrich somethings, a few weeks ago- dragged the wheels to Berkeley, had the tires fitted, dragged them back and put them on the trailer. I noticed immediately that the trailer jiggled less just walking in it- had been kind of annoying when camping, even with jacks. I finally towed it 6 miles home and back to the yard this weekend and it seemed a lot more stable. The difference is the radials? Or that they're not crap? The pressure was up there on the last set, so i don't think it was that. Anyway, at this point, it's a noticeable improvement.