Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
I would like to calculate a highest pressure for the old goodyears, so I can yudge if the treath-separation was courced by overheating.
I already warned in the beginning of Endurance, that there will be a moment, that a TT maker put Endurance tires on TT with only small reserve to the weight on axles, and same problem as old Goodyears apears.

Need for that loadrange ( probably LRE at 80 psi) , sises are given .
And cobfiguration of TT so number of axles and GAWRs and GVWR . Also need the pressure you used.

I suspect tandem axle, and for those often even the old D- load Goodyears did not need the full 65 psi.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I wouldn't concede that the Michelins are a "better tire" than the Endurance. The Michelins are a light truck tire since Michelin makes no approved trailer tires. (I switched to Michelin Defenders on my truck and couldn't be happier, but I kept the Endurance on the trailer and also couldn't be happier.

It come's down to the Benjamins. Do you want to spend on new rims? I didn't. Many do.
Also there's a slight benefit in that the 16" rims will not spin as fast as the 15" rims, so you'll have less wear and heat. Not sure it's measurable.
You might offset the cost of Michelins and rims if you sell the old tires/rims on Craig's List.
I'm with you; Michelin LT's on truck and Endurance on AS.. Second set of Endurance on my 28'; 50K miles...no issues. 58PSI cold works fine on my 28'; no concerns...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Pensacola , Florida
Trailer tires sit to much

RV tires don’t last as long as the ones you use on your car.. you drive your car often and it doesn’t let moisture to puddle up. RV tires sit in one spot for longer periods and moisture is drawn up from the ground . Grass and dirt parking even make this more of a problem. After a few blowouts I started changing my tires every 24 months . I didn’t have any more problems, and it doesn’t hurt to slow down, speeding builds excessive heat in the tires. I also don’t think that most RV trailer owners know what the unit weighs loaded for a trip. My Airstream30so was heavy and I didn’t have a lot of capacity to carry extra stuff, I put the extra pounds in my Ford F-350 and only used 75% of the trucks GCWR. Load carefully and get it weighed, It might surprise you
bmckeand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
My 2019 25’ FC came with GYE tires. I purchased it new in September 2019. We drove approximately 15,000 miles all around the USA in all kinds of conditions without problems. On our last leg up US 101 from Old Town Tustin CA to Sequim WA in April 2021 we experienced considerable road construction at many locations. We probably hit numerous potholes and rough roads.

In addition to a visual check I check pressure and lug nut torque at least weekly and before every long mile or strenuous road day. My tires were in great shape when we departed Tustin.

On arrival in Sequim I discovered this very slight (compared to the photo in the OP) bulging. After confirming with Les Schwab I replaced all 4 tires.

Everyone will have their own reasoned opinion regarding tires for their AS. I trust Les Schwab after 40 years of their service on multiple vehicles with various tires. They also have done my AS brakes and bearing packing several times.

On our previous 23’ FC we replaced the GYM with Tow Max from Les Schwab, drove them about 25,000 miles including Alaska and Top of the World Highway. Never a problem. Mounted very well by LS and seldom required adding air.

Bottom line: watch for sidewall bulges especially when they are very small and/or on the inside wall.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAB2E394-79AB-478F-9E3E-FFA549080781.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	399790   Click image for larger version

Name:	0CE212E4-F6B0-416D-B0BA-33AEE7F16670.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	399791  

WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #45

Grants Pass , OR
new tire problem

I have a 2015 19ft flying cloud that has been upgraded to Michelin Defender XTM LT225/R75 16 and it is an upgrade for sure. These tires are load range E as opposed to the Goodyear's, which are load range D. it is definitely worth the investment and you end up with a set up that has many more tire options than just the Goodyear trailer tires. Mario
msspag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Looks like tires that traveled I-95 thru South Carolina. Worst section of interstate highway other than the stretch of I-10 near Atchafalaya Basin in Louisiana
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you can upgrade to 16” rims and tires. It will improve the ride.
Lucky9332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
This is a common experience with tires on towed/long term parked vehicles. A tire will suffer a serious trauma by having been pulled over a curb or dragged into a curb or even by hitting a sharp pothole at a high speed. Tires (regardless of their brand) are an 'assembled component' made up of several layers (plies0 of rubber. Each ply is pasted to the earlier one and then they are cooked in a vulcanizer. Tires NEVER become one single piece since they are in fact a lay up product. When you damage a tire by curbing it you separate the original layers of rubber at the boundary layer. Rubber does not provide a natural boundary to air and as such air WILL leak out of a tire. This is why you have to keep checking and adding air over the operational life of the tire.

If one of the 'scuffs' creates a void between the tire layers air CAN bleed into the void created earlier and cause your bubble.It is NOT so much a tire quality issue as it is a tire abuse issue AND a tire capacity selection issue.

Running a tire whose load weight rating just approaches that posted on the tire will render the tire to possible premature failure due to abuse whereas bumping the rating up somewhat will provide you with a greater margin of safety. One poster here recommended increasing the rim side (and the tire size) in order to gain more load capacity. This would be a smart move. At any rate ALWAY check the proposed tire purchase Load Capacity weight rating and make sure you have exceeded the load you propose to carry.

Buying a premium brand tire with a low load rating as opposed to buying another brand with a higher rating will get you the same results, a damaged tire and possibly off in the ditch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...client=gws-wiz
DubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
If you WANT to avoid air loss in pneumatic tires and the resulting degradation associated with running them low on pressure, you MIGHT want to consider running pure nitrogen in place of air. Nitrogen has larger sized molecules and as such will NOT pass through the rubber membrane whereas the other 'air' molecules that make up the other 19% of our atmosphere WILL find a way to escape and cause a tire to loose pressure. Nitrogen filled tires are becoming more popular. Get into the habit of looking at the tire stem caps on tires that have been filled with nitrogen. They are green, indicating thatchy should NOT be filled with a standard air source. (no harm will come if you DO fill with pump air, it is just that the original idea of nitrogen filling will be negated)

The point of nitrogen filled tires is two parts, less opportunity for gas losses and FAR less interaction between the inner tire compound and the oxygen inherent in station air. Oxidation can be a serious element of tire degradation, particularly if you keep a tire around long beyond it's effective date life. NO tire on ANY vehicle should be older then 8 years from the manufacturers DOT date on the tire sidewall.
DubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
It’s called a ply separation, and I always understood it was due to a manufacturing defect. Plys are inadequately bonded, and after sone degree or another of wear, heat, and perhaps mishap such as pothole or curb, plys separate. My first experience with it was with Firestone Radial 500s in the mid 1970s. I had ply separation on three of the five tires on a vehicle, and Firestone replaced each one for no cost except for tread ware allowance. They then came out with the Firestone 720 and offered them to all people that still had 500s, again for no cost except tread wear allowance. My next experience with it was with original equipment Goodyear Marathon ST tires on a 2018 Airstream International, 25 foot. I have seen many discussions in Airforums of others with ply separations on the Goodyear Marathons installed by the Airstream factory. The telltale is a thump, thump, thump, that becomes more rapid as you accelerate and less rapid as you decelerate. If you ever again hear the thump, thump, pull over right away and run your hand around all the tread to feel for it until you find it, and change to the spare. Ply separation will result in rapid air loss (read “blow out”).
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:40 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubleDeuce View Post
If you WANT to avoid air loss in pneumatic tires and the resulting degradation associated with running them low on pressure, you MIGHT want to consider running pure nitrogen in place of air. Nitrogen has larger sized molecules and as such will NOT pass through the rubber membrane whereas the other 'air' molecules that make up the other 19% of our atmosphere WILL find a way to escape and cause a tire to loose pressure. Nitrogen filled tires are becoming more popular. Get into the habit of looking at the tire stem caps on tires that have been filled with nitrogen. They are green, indicating thatchy should NOT be filled with a standard air source. (no harm will come if you DO fill with pump air, it is just that the original idea of nitrogen filling will be negated)

The point of nitrogen filled tires is two parts, less opportunity for gas losses and FAR less interaction between the inner tire compound and the oxygen inherent in station air. Oxidation can be a serious element of tire degradation, particularly if you keep a tire around long beyond it's effective date life. NO tire on ANY vehicle should be older then 8 years from the manufacturers DOT date on the tire sidewall.
I have purchased Michelllin tires from Costco and they use Nitrogen to fill the tires they sell. I did notice these tires needed to have more “air” far less infrequently. But I cannot help but wonder if proper installation is a significant factor (clean wheels, good bead seal, etc.). As noted above air is naturally 79% nitrogen. So even if the 21% oxygen and other gases were to leak out, adding additional air should, over time after several refills, result in almost 100% nitrogen as the non-nitrogen gases in air (mostly oxygen) seep out leaving the larger molecules of nitrogen.

I’m not a chemist, but the logic seems reasonable if the true cause of nitrogen lasting longer between refills is due to its larger molecular size. If only the 21% of non-nitrogen gases were replaced by air then the 2nd refill should result in (.79 x .21) + .79 = .9559 (96%) nitrogen assuming one waited long enough to lose all the oxygen and other components of air while retaining .79 nitrogen.

I’m confident someone will offer a good critique of my logic and provide a more sophisticated explanation of why nitrogen requires less frequent replacement than plain old air.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:23 AM   #52
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckless View Post
In the past I have had tires on automobiles to do the same thing. I could not afford new tires. It is usually due to a problem in manufacturing process and can happen to any brand if not done correctly.
If caught early while bubble is small I have used a straight pin to poke a small hole only through the outer rubber to let the air out of the bubble only.
The tire pressure will stay up.
Not advising you to do that but can help out of bad situations without a spare or ability to change tire at the moment.
I want to emphasis part of this post: "........ but can help out of bad situations without a spare or ability to change tire at the moment. "

Be very careful here. What Buckless is suggesting is a TEMPORARY fix to get you out of a situation. Replacing the tire with a spare (which is what OP did) is much better.

If it is what I think it is, poking a hole in the sidewall to allow you to continue to operate MIGHT result in a catastrophic failure - one that could lead to damage of the trailer.

It's not the poking of the hole that is the problem. It's the continuing to operate that is the problem.

Please visit my website: https://www.barrystiretech.com/index.html
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #53
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
My 2019 25’ FC came with GYE tires. I purchased it new in September 2019. We drove approximately 15,000 miles all around the USA in all kinds of conditions without problems. On our last leg up US 101 from Old Town Tustin CA to Sequim WA in April 2021 we experienced considerable road construction at many locations. We probably hit numerous potholes and rough roads.

In addition to a visual check I check pressure and lug nut torque at least weekly and before every long mile or strenuous road day. My tires were in great shape when we departed Tustin.

On arrival in Sequim I discovered this very slight (compared to the photo in the OP) bulging. After confirming with Les Schwab I replaced all 4 tires.

Everyone will have their own reasoned opinion regarding tires for their AS. I trust Les Schwab after 40 years of their service on multiple vehicles with various tires. They also have done my AS brakes and bearing packing several times.

On our previous 23’ FC we replaced the GYM with Tow Max from Les Schwab, drove them about 25,000 miles including Alaska and Top of the World Highway. Never a problem. Mounted very well by LS and seldom required adding air.

Bottom line: watch for sidewall bulges especially when they are very small and/or on the inside wall.

Picture shows a different type of sidewall bulge. This is broken body cord from pot-hole or road trash hit.

Off my wife's Miata.

After I cut the innerliner I found proof of broken body cords that pulled away from rubber.

This one off my car. Tires were Bridgestone Blizzak Winter tires

My tire had actually broken through the interior sidewall

I was able to post a video on the analysis on my RV Tire blog but not allowed to post a link here.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:33 PM   #54
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubleDeuce View Post

Rather than spend the money on N2 and hope for slower air permeation why not get real pressure monitoring and go with TPMS so you get a warning as soon as you get any leak?
Old 07-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Melbourne , Florida
CapriRacer

Here is the response from Goodyear

Hi James,
I received your information regarding the issue with the Goodyear Endurance tire.
I believe the tire in the picture has a air pocket that was trapped and formed the bulge.
Unless the other tires are inspected we do not know if there are any other issues. Unfortunately the Goodyear Endurance tires are not available right now nationwide. If you want to replace all the tires we can offer prorated refund from here but we will need to get tread readings on all tires to be able to figure out the amount.
You can let me know via my email, that’s usually the quickest way I can respond. When you replace the tires I will need the original receipt ( unless they was original equipment) and the replacement receipt. The tires will need to be left at the location where you purchase them so I can call them for spec info. I will then reach out to you regarding the refund.

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
200 Innovation Way
Akron, Ohio 44316
grovepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:09 AM   #56
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovepark View Post
CapriRacer

Here is the response from Goodyear

Hi James,
I received your information regarding the issue with the Goodyear Endurance tire.
I believe the tire in the picture has a air pocket that was trapped and formed the bulge.
Unless the other tires are inspected we do not know if there are any other issues. Unfortunately the Goodyear Endurance tires are not available right now nationwide. If you want to replace all the tires we can offer prorated refund from here but we will need to get tread readings on all tires to be able to figure out the amount.
You can let me know via my email, that’s usually the quickest way I can respond. When you replace the tires I will need the original receipt ( unless they was original equipment) and the replacement receipt. The tires will need to be left at the location where you purchase them so I can call them for spec info. I will then reach out to you regarding the refund.

Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
200 Innovation Way
Akron, Ohio 44316
First, Tire Rack shows tires available. Your local dealer might have a different story.

Second, I assume you know how to measure the tread depth. If not, google it. email that info to them. Then wait for their response.

Since you need to work through a dealer, why not the local Goodyear store?(if you have one.) Have them order tires.

HOWEVER, if you are going to do the 16" upgrade mentioned earlier, then take whatever steps you need to to make that happen once you've gotten the response from Goodyear.

Good Luck

Old 07-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #57
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
X2

Go local, I've always gone to the local Goodyear store for all the trailer tires I've used.
Always a fair price good customer service.
I look at it this way if you have stuff that use rubber tires it's good to have a relationship with a retailer the deals in those rubber tires, just in case.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:23 PM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Melbourne , Florida
I have already decided to upgrade to 16 inch rims and Michelin LT225/75R16 XPS RIB tires, so I will take the prorated refund from Good Year and Roll On Down The Road. In fact I’ve already order Sendel Rims and XPS RIB Tires from Discount Tire and they gave me a 10 % Veterans Discount. It turns out to better deal than Airstream Club / Michelin discount was. Thanks for everyone’s input and advice.

The End
Old 07-23-2021, 03:29 AM   #59
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovepark View Post
I have already decided to upgrade to 16 inch rims and Michelin LT225/75R16 XPS RIB tires, so I will take the prorated refund from Good Year and Roll On Down The Road. In fact I’ve already order Sendel Rims and XPS RIB Tires from Discount Tire and they gave me a 10 % Veterans Discount. It turns out to better deal than Airstream Club / Michelin discount was. Thanks for everyone’s input and advice.

The End
I hope you realize that you can work through Discount Tire on the interaction with Goodyear. That might simplify things a bit.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Melbourne , Florida
Yes, I did find out that discount will work with the Good Year Rep to obtain the prorated refund .

Thanks for mentioning that, so others might want to go that route.

V/R