Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
New GoodYear 'Run Flat' question?

I was wanting to find out if anyone knows of "run flat" tires for trailers? I have a customer that wants them on a new axle replacement; However, I have advised them not to go this route they still want to know whats out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	467569_G 2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	92295  
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Might be a good idea

One thing a run-flat may be less likely to do is disintegrate and tear up the trailer like so many conventional tires.

Seems to me that run-flats combined with tire pressure sensors should be a pretty bullet proof combination.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
VINSTREAM,
Sorry I can't be of any help with a product answer but, this is an interesting idea. Please let us know what you find out.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
There are very few run-flats on the market at present, mostly made as OEM equipment for specific vehicles. Chevy Corvette, Toyota Sienna, various BMWs, all the 2009 or later Mercedes diesels, etc. You might check tirerack.com to research particular sizes. A lot of them (perhaps all of them) wouldn't fit on an Airstream. I did a quick search and found no run-flats in the 225/75R15 size.

There are different run-flat technologies in use. Goodyear's Eagle LS-2 design uses a reinforced sidewall, for example. I have no idea if the run-flat designs are suitable for trailer use, and short of talking to an engineer at Goodyear you probably won't get an educated opinion on the subject. There would be complex considerations regarding pressure, load rating, sidewall strength, tread wear, etc. People will speculate about how run-flat designs might be suitable or unsuitable, but keep in mind that's just speculation and not fact. This is one of those cases where your customer would be the first test pilot if he/she tried it.

At a minimum, your customer would need a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). Otherwise a tire could lose pressure and the driver would not know it until it shredded, resulting in exactly the problem you're trying to avoid. With the combination, and Pahaska points out, you'd be able to continue towing slowly for a short distance until the trailer could be safely pulled over.

However, run-flats are incredibly expensive. The Goodyear Eagle LS-2 Run-Flat runs about $400 per tire! Also, if you use the tire while flat for more than a short distance, it must be replaced. That makes for an expensive single-use spare. So even with run-flats, you must plan to stop immediately and replace or repair the tire, just as you would with a traditional tire. So the advantage of having an expensive run-flat is minimal.

Considering all that, I wouldn't mess with the run-flats. My choice is to use a TPMS with standard trailer tires, and carry a compressor and a tire plugging kit. The real problem Airstreamers seem to have is that they don't know when they've got a loss of tire pressure until too late. A TPMS is cheap insurance and I recommend them to everyone.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
_

. , .
this topic comes up yearly.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-19002.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-20334.html

along with all the good info rich posted the concern using ANY of the current RF tires on a trayla, is LOAD RATING...

and what happens to it when the tire is DEflated.

one could certainly buy different wheels with one of the LOW PROFILE RFs currently available on a trailer...

but i see LOTS of issues doing that along with the HIGH cost factor.

IF the primary concern is punctures or slow leaks simply add one of the tire sealants widely available...

this stuff works great, is completely safe and proven in this application...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ing-38413.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...wout-5528.html

i don't think i would tow a single axle trailer WITHOUT sealant in the tires.

not suggesting tpms aren't useful, they clearly are.

but for preventive measures the sealants are very useful and much less expensive.

now in terms of CUTTING EDGE 'airless' tires (not the same as run flats)...

they DO EXIST and miche' is working hard on these for HEAVY DUTY load carrying applications...

and we've covered that too, see post #76 here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post535238

or read about the tweel here...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote