Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does this mean we have to notify the government when we sell our vehicle?
The law only works for those who follow it. The knuckle draggers who don't take care of their equipment will still be out there.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Wow, this is cool, we have opened up the forums to heated political discussions. Could someone please tell me where the new sex and religion threads are. Politics bore me.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Does this mean we have to notify the government when we sell our vehicle?
The law only works for those who follow it. The knuckle draggers who don't take care of their equipment will still be out there.
How do you sell a vehicle and have the government (to include state, county, city/town) not know you sold it because you get the privilege of paying copious amounts of taxes. A vast majority of states require license plates, title transfers when changing owners, so there are going to know, if your following the law(s). Just asking?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
How The Sausage is Made

This bill, Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act or the ‘‘FAST Act’’ has been languishing in Congress for years. With elections next year Congress needed something shiny to wave at their constituents to prove that they could actually pass some kind of legislation.
As with most large bills there is plenty of opportunity to slip in unrelated items such as reauthorizing the Import-Export Bank, farm subsidies and a bank bailout, but, overall it's not bad. Tires fall into a very small section labled Vehicle Safety.

An excerpt from the Daily KOS sums up the parts relevant to our discussions;
1. It doesn’t cut current spending levels—including for public transportation. …..... $230 billion is authorized for highways, $60 billion for public transportation, $10 billion for passenger rail and $5 billion for highway safety programs. Basically, the same four to one ratio that’s existed since the early 1980s.
2. State DOTs have very wide authority over what they do with the funds—this is part of the continuing devolution of funding for services at the Federal level, which began in the early 1980s. You’ll find funds for specific programs in the 1,377-page bill but unlike earmark heavy SAFETEA-LU, you won’t find funds allocated for specific projects. That is left up to the states, who farm that out to metropolitan and rural planning organizations.

If we can get some of these roads fixed maybe we wouldn't have to worry about our tires and suspensions being beaten to death.

Tom

If you really want to take a taste of the Sausage here's a copy of the bill.
Take a quick scroll through the table of contents then to use the search function of your PDF reader to pick out the item of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FAST Act.pdf (1.06 MB, 38 views)

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #25
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
You don't need a trailer tire, only one with the carrying capacity for the load,most of the bad marathons were bruised from hitting curbs,were run low on air or run flat,or is 9 years old, or going down the highway 75 mph . How could one expect a warranty for one of these abused tires? I have 20,000 miles on my marathons and they are at 50 per cent...

ST tires are made to run on trailers but their quality and reliability are lacking is all I'm saying. Previous owner of my rig had the Marathons on it when one came uncorked and tore up the wheel well. My experience was with Maxxis ST tires. Cords let go with 50% tread left. Hard earned money down the drain on those pieces of junk. Michelins on the truck driving the same miles and hitting the same curbs, pot holes and worse are just fine. ST tire manufacturers ought to be ashamed of themselves for putting out such inferior products. My beef is with the manufacturers, first with poor quality and secondly with offshoring the work. They can do better. They won't be getting my money again.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Call your congressman and tell them NO! We are already OVER REGULATED by the Government. We do not need this any more than half the other BS they require or mandate. I don't like my TPMS either, God, I have a gauge, own a car, maintane a car! Don't expect "mother" to remind/ do it for you. Gosh, Ive reread it, it already passed??? Who's paying for all this report/advise stuff???? More small business suffering unneeded added costs.. God I hate where this country is going!!!!!!!!!!!

Bingo!

Mandates mean no choice, limited choices infringe on liberty, even if our brilliant politicians claim it is "for our own good".

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 AM   #27
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
A few more FYI's:

Most state DOT's will NOT share vehicle owner information. That means that when a vehicle is sold, the tire manufacturer (or the vehicle manufacturer) can not know who the new owner is, in spite of the fact that the state DOT does.

Part of the quality problem with ST tires is the fact that trailer manufacturers do not use big enough tires (small load carrying capacity). Cars and trucks, by comparison, have been forced to use larger tires - and that might mean more government intrusion if trailers are to be brought up to the same level as cars and trucks.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
This bill, Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act or the ‘‘FAST Act’’ has been languishing in Congress for years. With elections next year Congress needed something shiny to wave at their constituents to prove that they could actually pass some kind of legislation.
As with most large bills there is plenty of opportunity to slip in unrelated items such as reauthorizing the Import-Export Bank, farm subsidies and a bank bailout, but, overall it's not bad. Tires fall into a very small section labled Vehicle Safety.

An excerpt from the Daily KOS sums up the parts relevant to our discussions;
1. It doesn’t cut current spending levels—including for public transportation. …..... $230 billion is authorized for highways, $60 billion for public transportation, $10 billion for passenger rail and $5 billion for highway safety programs. Basically, the same four to one ratio that’s existed since the early 1980s.
2. State DOTs have very wide authority over what they do with the funds—this is part of the continuing devolution of funding for services at the Federal level, which began in the early 1980s. You’ll find funds for specific programs in the 1,377-page bill but unlike earmark heavy SAFETEA-LU, you won’t find funds allocated for specific projects. That is left up to the states, who farm that out to metropolitan and rural planning organizations.

If we can get some of these roads fixed maybe we wouldn't have to worry about our tires and suspensions being beaten to death.

Tom

If you really want to take a taste of the Sausage here's a copy of the bill.
Take a quick scroll through the table of contents then to use the search function of your PDF reader to pick out the item of interest.
I would rather spend my time reading our Constitution that our "leaders" seem to be ignoring. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
ST tires are made to run on trailers but their quality and reliability are lacking is all I'm saying. Previous owner of my rig had the Marathons on it when one came uncorked and tore up the wheel well. My experience was with Maxxis ST tires. Cords let go with 50% tread left. Hard earned money down the drain on those pieces of junk. Michelins on the truck driving the same miles and hitting the same curbs, pot holes and worse are just fine. ST tire manufacturers ought to be ashamed of themselves for putting out such inferior products. My beef is with the manufacturers, first with poor quality and secondly with offshoring the work. They can do better. They won't be getting my money again.
Were the maxxis the d rated or the e rated ones? What pressures were you using? How old were they.? Without this info your statement is not useable for debate.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have contacted my 'rep' and 'congress' persons regularly... and been summarily ignored... but, I have said my peace.. which is what we must do if we have any hope of recovering our 'republic'...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #31
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Were the maxxis the d rated or the e rated ones? What pressures were you using? How old were they.? Without this info your statement is not useable for debate.

Bought em brand new, E rated, run at 65 lbs. Going on the fourth season with about 15k miles the cords let go on one and caught just in time while setting up camp. Looked like a bike tire. No debate needed for me. I junked em when I got back home and went with Michelin 16" LT's and new Sendel's. Those Maxxis weren't aged out nor abused. The one that gave up was the rear on a dual. The one in front of the bad one was fine so that tells me it wasn't from any road impact. The weight on each wheel is within a dozen or so pounds when hitched. (Individual truck scales like the cops use. I should have heeded the warning from all the others on the forums but I couldn't afford new wheels too at the time. I chose poorly. Never again.