Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
We have a lot of missing rivets on the interior .... I would love any input...

Thank you in advance,
Laurie F.
Ventura, CA

I'm sure others can chime in here but I'm wondering...

1) In a warm west coast environment with a load constantly on them, how long will torsion axles last on these newer models? Could the rubber cords be hardening due to non-use and causing the rivet loss?

2) Could use on rough roads with overinflated tires or too much tension on the tongue by mismatched leveling bars be a factor?

3) Whenever someone with a later model trailer which no longer has the front frame plate to body connector (see double row of rivets behind propane tanks on older trailers) says they are experiencing rivet loss-or worse: cracks in wraps or around door-I think of checking the attaching points around the belt line. This is a documented failure on longer trailers.

4) It's never too soon to check for floor rot which can cause movement and rivet loss.

Granted, this is a small trailer and the rivet loss probably isn't related to the above issues but...worth checking? Especially if someone is not the original owner?
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I've been deeply involved in this tire dilemma over a few different threads. I've decided to replace my new 3000 miles old GYM tires. Embarking on a cross country adventure in May & doing it on GYM was not an option. After all the reading, research, various comments, I've decided to go with Maxxis E-10 ply ST tires. I've learned they are the best trailer tire on the market, Michelin LTX seem to do well ( although not intended for trailers) in the 15" application but I'll stick with a 10 ply ST tire.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Regards to rivets popping.

Generally when we see a lot of rivets popping in an Airstream the first thing we do is check the tire balance. We almost always find a Marathon with a shifted belt or a tire(s) way out of balance. We have never found a bad Michelin so we tend to stick with what is working well. The added benefit is that they do ride much smoother which also helps with the rivet issue.

We have had plenty of failures of Maxis tires on some of the box brands we sell. Mainly with 235/80 x 16" size. We don't have any products with them in 15" so they may be fine in that application but I would never suggest them to one of our clients based on our 16" experience.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Andrew T

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your post are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
On my big truck, with a gross of 100,000 lbs and going down the road with 14,500 on the steering axle there will be no off the wall tires as it could mean my life. Bridgestone, michelin and bf Goodrich have served me well for the past 1.4 million miles on this truck, as for the trailer they have the same tires as the steering axle, never heard of a st tire for big trucks, I have michelins on my as.and they are manufactured in the USA , not in some weird out of the way location where they aren't used, .can't afford the damage if a tire blows out ...st just has heavier cords to raise the weight rating of that particular sized tire, at under 65 mph. There are no bargains out there , you get what you pay for..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Regards to rivets popping.

Generally when we see a lot of rivets popping in an Airstream the first thing we do is check the tire balance. We almost always find a Marathon with a shifted belt or a tire(s) way out of balance. We have never found a bad Michelin so we tend to stick with what is working well. The added benefit is that they do ride much smoother which also helps with the rivet issue.

We have had plenty of failures of Maxis tires on some of the box brands we sell. Mainly with 235/80 x 16" size. We don't have any products with them in 15" so they may be fine in that application but I would never suggest them to one of our clients based on our 16" experience.

Andrew T
We're the maxxis tires LT, ST or P tires.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
We're the maxxis tires LT, ST or P tires.
The Maxxis brand only has the ST in 235/80R16. I believe this is an ST only size.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Correct. I was thinking if the LT 235/85/16.8
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Laurie

You can run Michelin P235/75R x 15" XL (extra load) LTX tires on the 19'. We have installed them on most of the 19's we have delivered and they work very well. The ride is dramatically smoother on the single axle. Should solve your rivet issue. Run these at 50PSI.

The 16" tire is a 225/75R x 16" Load Range E Michelin. It will also work but it will ride much firmer than the 15" tire. It does have more load capacity which would only be an issue if you have added considerable weight in modifications, extra batteries etc.

Andrew T
Andrew-

I have a 2016 19' Airstream on order. I am interested in your tire recommendation, but puzzled by it. The 19' Airstreams have a GVW of 4500 lbs. or at least 2250 lbs. per tire. When I check on the load capacity for Michelin P235/75R x 15" XL tires, I see a value of 2205 lbs. So if that value is correct, the tires are a bit overloaded even with perfect load balance between the wheels. Is there a higher load rating for this tire that I am not seeing?

Does Airstream allow the purchaser any option to change wheel size and/or tire brand on a new trailer?

Thanks,
Lee
Lee_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Many use the 16" Michelins in the Souhwest on 19' Aistreams with great results and no reported failures. They could be retrofitted at the factory service center or acquired locally. Many use the SenDel T03-66655T wheels. The factory center cap from the stick wheels works in the new rims.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Thanks for the info switz. Yes, I communicated with the factory and they only offer the 16" Michelin tires (LTX M/S LT 225/75R 16 with a load range of E) on the Eddie Bauer and the Classic, and they are not an extra cost option for my 19' Flying Cloud. I will likely order the Sendel wheels, as you described, and the Michelin tires before the scheduled trailer delivery, and then see if the local dealer will give me any compensation for the OEM wheels and tires. I have only driven on Michelin tires on my standard vehicles since I was a kid.

It sounds like most folks have at least two options for changing tires: (1) with dual axles, they can drive the trailer with the good tire onto a ramp, and change the bad tire, or (2) they can jack the trailer up using the jack lift location (not the axle). Those with the Bambi axles then are restricted to the second approach. I wonder how easily the 16" wheels/tires come off and on using this second approach.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The factory offers these 16" tires and wheels for sale and installation at the service center. They are on display as you enter the building on your left with that offer.

Changing tires on a single axle trailer is like changing a tire on a car or pickup
truck. Jack at the designated location and continue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Salida , Colorado
Sure, you can buy new wheels and tires, but the dealer will not provide any compensation for the OEM wheels and tires even brand new and exchanged by them for the replacement wheels and tires. From what customer service at the factory told me, that is also true for the factory. So it is a considerable extra expense to throw away the OEM wheels and tires, or extra time to try to sell them on ebay or whatever.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Andrew-

I have a 2016 19' Airstream on order. I am interested in your tire recommendation, but puzzled by it. The 19' Airstreams have a GVW of 4500 lbs. or at least 2250 lbs. per tire. When I check on the load capacity for Michelin P235/75R x 15" XL tires, I see a value of 2205 lbs. So if that value is correct, the tires are a bit overloaded even with perfect load balance between the wheels. Is there a higher load rating for this tire that I am not seeing?

Does Airstream allow the purchaser any option to change wheel size and/or tire brand on a new trailer?

Thanks,
Lee

Hi Lee

We are fortunate to have a Cat Scale 10 miles from us so we often run combinations over it. The 19's we have weighed loaded for travel have been between 3850 & 4080 pounds on the axle.

A single axle trailer application is about as easy a job a tire can have. There is no driving force going through the tire, There is no driveline heat and no turning forces. We simply have not had any issues with the 235 tire on 19's.

The 225/16" tire is also very reliable it just rides much harsher. If you were ride in the trailer the ride difference is substantial.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote