Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
After I did the upgrade to michelin defenders and sendels (which Vinnie handled for me from the west coast), I put my mounted GYM’s on Airstream classifieds. They were only a year old in perfect shape, sold them in three days for $500. Take lots of pictures for the ad!
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
So on our 30' Classic, we'll probably go with the Defender LTX M/S: LT225/75R16/E 115/112R BSW.

I really wish we didn't have to buy new wheels and can stay with the Michelin Defender 15" instead. Help me understand. Why the 16" and not the 15"?

My husband says it's because of load capacity. Is that it?
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
The Michelin Defender does come in a 15" Load range C . I have run these on my 31" Classic with no issues and great tread wear.

I would not bother going to 16" rims or tires.......JMHO
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
True, the reason for going up to the 15 or 16 inch wheels is a bigger availability of quality radial tires that have sufficient load capacity in that size range...but there is more to the story...

The basic reason is that tires that fit 14 inch wheels AND have sufficient load capacity are getting too hard to find, and quality manufacturers are not making high-capacity radial tires in that size much anymore.

If you want to see lots of opinions, flames, fervor, and rhetoric about tires, tire quality, and load capacity, just stop by any Airforums thread that includes Goodyear GYM tires in the discussion....

I, for one absolutely refuse to use them ever again...since one of ours shed the tread, tore up the AS, and made a mess of the wheel well...thousands in damage in one incident...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I won't run trailer tires on anything I have.........
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
...Why the 16" and not the 15"?

As a generalization, yes. A Classic is up there on weight, so I can't speak directly to your situation, but I'll relay a summary of mine:

We have a 2005 30' Safari with a max total weight limit of 8400 lbs.
Tongue weight is right at 1000 (measured at scales)
That leaves 7400 lbs max that can be carried by the tires (assuming I'd not overload the trailer).

Assuming my load plan is well balanced, that 7400 lbs / 4 tires = 1850 lbs on each tire.

I run these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...75TR5DLTXOWLXL. They have a max load rating of 2271 lbs. Google "using passenger tires on a trailer" to read more about it, but in a nutshell, you divide the max load rating by 1.1 when using a "P" (passenger)-rated tire on a trailer. It's a safety thing. So we divide 2271 / 1.1 = 2064 lbs. That's the most I should load each tire.

I went through the Escapees RV SmartWeigh program that actually measures the load on each tire. With that info, I know that loaded as if we were heading out for two weeks each tire is carrying approximately 1600 lbs. Each tire was within 30 lbs of the others, so again, a good and balanced load plan.

I'd have to haul another 450 lbs on each tire to overload them. And that's assuming all the added weight went to the tires, and none to the tongue weight. I know that's not going to happen, as I tend to remove something from the load out list on almost every trip due to lack of use or tired of moving it around to get to the things I actually use in the storage areas.

That's a long way of saying that if you plan properly, you can run a 15" Michelin with confidence that you're within load limits for the tires. Is it for everyone? Undoubtedly not. Are there other options? The Goodyear Endurance is certainly looking promising so far. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I had replaced my 15" wheels with 16" wheels and Michelin LTX 225/75R16(E) M+S2 at JC. At the 3-year mark one tire had a tread separation, and Michelin covered the cost of the repair to the AS + the tire. At that time I was told by the Michelin rep that the batch was good and I should keep on trucking. 6 months later two more tires failed with tread separations on 2 consecutive days, doing $8,000 damage to my AS (not to mention the $2,000 for new tires using roadside service on I-10). My insurer covered the cost to the trailer and I have subrogated my claim for new tires to them. I am still waiting for the reimbursement for the tires and the deductibles.

Michelin put me and my trailer at risk - they ought to have known that the batch was bad after my first failure. I would have been open to replacing my tires then. I no longer trust Michelin and will seek tires from other manufacturers.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Another plus of the LTX or Defender tires is because they are not ST series they are not speed limited to 65mph. No sir with these LT rascals you can go over 110 mph. It even mentions it in the Airstream Classic Owners manual. Not that I would mind you.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hm. There have been times, in West Texas....

Sorry, I’m reminded statute of limitations has not run out yet....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:28 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
DEFENDER LTX M/S - SIZE: 235/75R15
Old 06-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
RV'S not trailers..correct?
Yes. See additional Michelin information at:
https://www.michelinrvtires.com/refe...and-bulletins/

I use the XPS RIB inflation tables for our trailer based on my reading of the following:
"49 CFR § 571.110 Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less.

As defined, a LT rated tire is a "passenger car" tire.
"S.3. Passenger car tire means a tire intended for use on passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, and trucks, that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or less.
Light truck (LT) tire means a tire designated by its manufacturer as primarily intended for use on lightweight trucks or multipurpose passenger vehicles."

"S4.2.2.2 When passenger car tires are installed on an MPV, truck, bus, or trailer, each tire's load rating is reduced by dividing it by 1.10 before determining, under S4.2.2.1, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle."

Michelin would likely have included the 0.9 rule in the RV (MPV) tables, and the same factor applies to trailers. Have not found where Michelin officially confirmed this on their website, but it makes sense. That's why we use the inflation table at:
https://www.michelinrvtires.com/refe...tion-tables/#/

Since Airstream offers the Michelin 16" LT tires as a trailer tire option, Airstream must have confirmed this specific trailer use case with Michelin. Otherwise as the trailer's manufacturer, Airstream would be in violation of another section of the 49 CFR NHTSA rules.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Defender E rated, they are the best and I have them on my TV too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Airstream Forums mobile app
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Thank you both for your help. So yes, we will need new wheels. We currently have the 15" Goodyear Marathon tires.

So it looks like the Michelin Defender or the Goodyear Endurance? I've been reading so many negative comments about the Goodyear, I not sure what to think about that. Pros / cons on either??

And thank you again.

What and where are the negative comments on GYE? It's a new tire line not just a new tire name on the sidewall. Really too new to know if it is as good as some are claiminig but I am inclined to believe it is better than the GYM.

Data and facts are our friends.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
So on our 30' Classic, we'll probably go with the Defender LTX M/S: LT225/75R16/E 115/112R BSW.

I really wish we didn't have to buy new wheels and can stay with the Michelin Defender 15" instead. Help me understand. Why the 16" and not the 15"?

15" > 16" will probably give you more load capacity (depending on tire size) just check the specifications.

but there are definately more tire choices in 16" than 15"
Old 06-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
I had replaced my 15" wheels with 16" wheels and Michelin LTX 225/75R16(E) M+S2 at JC. At the 3-year mark one tire had a tread separation, and Michelin covered the cost of the repair to the AS + the tire. At that time I was told by the Michelin rep that the batch was good and I should keep on trucking. 6 months later two more tires failed with tread separations on 2 consecutive days, doing $8,000 damage to my AS (not to mention the $2,000 for new tires using roadside service on I-10). My insurer covered the cost to the trailer and I have subrogated my claim for new tires to them. I am still waiting for the reimbursement for the tires and the deductibles.

Michelin put me and my trailer at risk - they ought to have known that the batch was bad after my first failure. I would have been open to replacing my tires then. I no longer trust Michelin and will seek tires from other manufacturers.

RE "bad batch"
- How old were the tires?
- Have you confirmed the "batch" was recalled by NHTSA?
- Did you file a complaint with NHTSA?

- What size tire and what was your measured load and did you set your inflation to the tire sidewall number?
- Was the failure a Sidewall Flex Failure of a Tread.Belt separation?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
I'm another Michelin 16" XPS Rib user. I put them on in 2016 and have almost 20,000 miles on them - still act/look like new. They are not cheap, but they were the only truck tire I found that had a steel belt in the sidewalls - which are subject to a lot of stress on a trailer when turning. Your 30' Classic is around 10k GVW (my 27 Classic is 9k), and I like the extra measure of safety the XPS gives. Safe travels!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
What and where are the negative comments on GYE? It's a new tire line not just a new tire name on the sidewall. Really too new to know if it is as good as some are claiminig but I am inclined to believe it is better than the GYM.

Agreed.

The only issue I’ve heard of with the endurance so far is a failure after hitting a really bad pothole at highway speeds. Not sure you can blame that on Goodyear.

I replaced my GYM’s with Endurance tires this spring. While only anecdotal, I can tell you from comparing the two unmounted tires on the shop floor, the Endurance is a much heavier tire and has a stiffer sidewall than the Marathon....and is not made in China.

We’ve taken a couple of trips since then with no problems. They also lose no air as was common with GYM’s.

Time will tell.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
New Michelins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post
Two opinions: 1. Never buy a China made tire. I don't care what brand. Look for something other than made in China. China's quality is uncontrolled. One might be great and then the next not so great. 2. If you change tire sizes make sure you match the tire pressure to the load + 10-15%. Max pressure (80 psig) on a E rated tire will tare your trailer apart in less than 10,000 miles. My classic weighs 9000 loaded. I have the tire pressure around 50-55 psig not 80.

Even though the best tire out there is the Michelin Defender Michelin does not warrant them when on a trailer. But who cares the best is the best even without the warranty. My friend took a 25' FC across country (Syracuse to LA) and claimed 3 tires under warranty. What a great warranty.

Happy Streaming
gr.austin has two great points here! Coming from 40 years in the trucking industry, Michelin has always been the preferred tire. They too would would still have issues after one or two recaps but it was less often than other brands! Michelin is also known for providing a smoother ride. Point no. 2 is very important because it is likely why a lot of the issues mentioned with any tire are happening! Let’s say a 6000 lb. AS has has four LT tires rated at 3000lbs each at 80 psi. If the AS weighed 12000 lbs the tires would be properly inflated. Around 45 to 50 psi would be more like it for carrying a 6000 lb load. More psi than that the tire is being needlessly over stressed and the tire is much harder needlessly shaking an AS apart! Motor On!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
In my opinion, the Michelin XPS Rib tires are the end-all-be-all of tires.
https://www.michelintruck.com/tires-...!/info/xps-rib
https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...8aAoiSEALw_wcB
Their downsides, however, are:
1. They are somewhat (approx. $50) more expensive than Michelin Defender or LTX tires.
2. They are usually an order-only tire; few dealers carry them in stock.
3. They only come in a 16 inch tire, so if you now have 15 inch tires, you'll need to replace not only the tires but also the wheels.
4. They are a "hard" tire and not suitable for cold weather & especially snow and ice.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

Don't you have any connections in the industry to find out if there are any changes to GYE from GYM if any besides the name?