Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Pensacola Beach , Florida
Need Air Compressor Suggestion

I am going to purchase an air compressor to use for my car and 2012 Sport 16. I plan to use it only at home so doesn't need to be portable and I don't think I will really need it much for tool use. Any suggestions of what would work good for me and last a long time. Thanks
lubelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
WE have a large one at the house (for tools) and bought this one for use when travelling. It's 120VAC and is more than enough to take care of the truck and the Airstream tires.
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have 2 from Sears, a very large one for tools and a smaller one for tires, etc. I have had them both for many years, no issues at all.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I used an 8 gallon horizontal tank model made by Husky for several years, but have recently upgraded to a 20 gallon vertical tank Puma. Some things to consider:

Oil-less compressor pumps may be convenient because you don't need to pay attention to the oil level or store/transport them in a particular way, but they are essentially disposable as the piston/cylinder WILL wear out much faster than an oilf filled pump.

Any direct drive (no visible belt between the motor and pump) will likely be noisey--the cheaper, the noisier.

A best practice is to empty your air tank after each use. So the bigger the tank you get, the longer you will spend waiting for it to charge, and the more air you'll bleed off when you empty it. If you are convinced that the only thing you are going to use the compressor for is to air up tires and basketballs, then it isn't important to have a tank at all.

I never thought of myself as an air-tool kind of guy, but I got a basic set of stuff when I bought my first compressor, and have managed to get a lot of use out of it (which eventually inspired me to buy the bigger unit).

Good luck.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
as i think most AS'ers will agree, a small portable air compressor is really a MUST HAVE when you are travelling - esp. if your are dry camping or out somewhere w/o many options.

any good quality a-c will do but it is better to have one that will work off 12v and 120v. you can get a good reliable one for well under $100.

some have a built-in gauge that will give you a reading when it is attached to the tire.

we have used ours for the TV, AS and bikes. also good if you need to help someone else who is having a problem.

I have a large one that i leave at home but i always bring the small one
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A positive for the oil-less is that you can use it to blow out your water lines for winterizing, without contaminating the water lines with oil residue.

Wait, I just saw you're in florida so winterizing isn't an issue. I'd still get an oil-less.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Thanks. I appreciate all of your input and I got some good ideas. For some reason, I couldn't thank individually, but I'll get that worked out.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiej View Post
WE have a large one at the house (for tools) and bought this one for use when travelling. It's 120VAC and is more than enough to take care of the truck and the Airstream tires.
Just what I was looking for! TY Techiej

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Thanks again to all of you. Your suggestions prompted me to research and learn more and I'll be heading out this afternoon to check out some different compressors. I'll be a much better informed shopper today!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Which compressor depends on what you use it for.

A small portable unit is good for travel—if tires lose air (temp changes, a leak so small you'll never find it common with Marathons I had), a compressor is very useful. The ones that plug into the cigarette lighter take much too long to fill tires and may not have enough pressure for trailer tires. Get a portable one with alligator clips for the battery for that use. I got one at Costco for about $65 a few years ago, but I don't know whether they still sell it. If you get a flat in the middle of no where, a tire repair kit is a good thing too; you can fix a flat and fill it up with air. I had to do this in Alaska a couple of years ago when I was 100 miles from a service station.

For blowing out the water lines, a 120 v. compressor is necessary. I have a pancake model as it works for air tools and nail guns too and is fairly easy to carry. It is oilless and no problems. I also have a large one, also oilless and it has worked faultlessly for more than 10 years, but it is bulky and that's why I got the pancake one. Sometimes the 120 v. ones come in a special with airtools included.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Thanks Gene: I think a pancake style oilless may be just perfect for me at home. I'll be checking some out this afternoon.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The drawback to the oil less is they don't last forever. They make small oiled direct drive compressors that are portable. The best one to have is a 2 stage cast iron compressor that is fan belt driven if you want to ultimate in longevity and air volume. This maybe overkill for you though.

I have one similar this and it is oil lube and big enough to run air tools.

4 Gallon Oil-Lube Slant Stack and Hose Kit- Craftsman-Tools-Air Compressors & Air Tools-Air Compressors

Here is another one from Home Depot.

263DLH 2.0 HP 6.3 Gal. Steel Tank Oil Lubricated Air Compressor-263DLH at The Home Depot

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote