Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
Need a spare, and soon! need to know size etc

Leaving Monday to go pick up our recently purchased Argosy 26 in Illinois. At this time, the seller has not found the spare tire and I doubt they will. I do not wish to drive the 1000 miles from Il to Ga without a spare.

So, pretty sure Argosy wheels are - 2600 lb rated, 6 lug 5.5" on center with zero offset. What is throwing me though is the width of what "I think" is 7" and that "I think" the Argosy wheels are mounted with lug bolts instead of nuts. I get the deer in headlights look every time I mention a 7" rim.
If all above is correct, if I can't find a 7" wide rim locally , for a spare, can I use a standard 6 inch wide rim and will the bolts from the current wheels work on a standard wheel. There is a Tredit dealer local that can set me up with a bias tire and 6" wide rim pronto if that will work.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Here are the current wheels and tires
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66EA288E-D7AF-4188-91E9-DC8AE4BFEA89.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	305863   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C0E5317-893C-4F51-9EBC-04E16090BB5C.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	305864  

Buickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
Also, are the lug bolt pictured standard and does anybody know what size socket might fit them
Old 03-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A spare, specifically for a pick up run, need not be a full capacity solution. So even if you go with a narrow tire, it need only be of similar diameter and sufficient capacity to carry the dry weight of the coach. It seems odd that wheel size would be 7" since that is a wide rim. Note rim width is an inside measurement from bead surface to same opposite. Would think it should be ~ 6", but have no valid knowledge. Interested to hear what you find.

Alternative - you may and probably very likely do need new tires. Tow to the closest tire store and replace. Need for a spare goes down significantly when new tires are on the coach. You should still acquire a spare, but your time frame would have more flexibility if you have new tires.

Second - travel slow until you know. Brakes, hub bearings and axle condition are also of concern until all verified.

Third - just a thought. BIL used Tractor Supply tire and rim as a replacement for blow outs on a boat pick up trip. You might stop at a similar facility and pick up your spare after matching the wheel fitment in real time. Or you might replace two and use existing as spares.

Good luck on the trip home. Congratulations on your new coach. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
You could try to find a supplier near where you’re picking it up. That way you can be sure to get the right thing.
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Tractor Supply, stock most all spare sizes, wheels and tires already mounted. Worked for me.
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Yes the old lug bolts will work on new wheels. I wouldn't try using them on a new set of alloys (may scratch as they tighten) but on a steel wheel will work as well as studs and nuts.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Yes Argosy's came with lug bolts not studs and nuts and you can use them with alloy wheels. I have the same wheel you show in the picture and the nuts are recessed. You will have to use a thin thin wall socket to get on them. A standard Craftsman 1/2" socket will fit, but, a lug wrench probably will not.

My 28' originally Argosy had steel wagon wheels and I replaced them with Alcoa wheels from a 2008 and they do not have the same offset. The steel wheels are offset more to the outside and had plenty of clearance on the inside. I had to add 1/4" spacers to keep the alloys from rubbing the inside of the fender well. Stick your hand over the top of those wheels and make sure you have clearance on the inside!

My Minuet has the steel wagon wheels and the spare that came with it is the standard steel trailer wheel you can find on sale everywhere. I measured both and the spare is 1" deeper from the mounting plate to the inside rim. I asked a very well known Airstream dealer who was at Alumapaloza and has been in the business for 40 years and was told that the Argosy wheels had offset to the outside. Not the the standard "O"" offset.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
Athens , Georgia
Thanks everybody for all that great and helpful information. I went to Tredit yesterday and they set me up with a steel wheel and a Load range D, 75 mph bias ply, 2450 max load tire that based on the pictures of current tire info they felt would be VERY close to the overall diameter of it.
My only fear now is that it is a zero offset rim and if I am reading the above correctly may require a spacer to prevent rubbing against the wheel well? Should I obtain that before heading out and could someone please describe "spacer" and where to obtain.

While there they also offered a pretty good deal on a set of Goodyear Endurance for when I return and decide if I am going to keep the wheels that are on the trailer now or go back to steel rims and original hubcaps. Did I understand someone above to say that my current wheels are possibly AS or Argosy but not necessarily '74 vintage?

Again, THANKS for all the help!!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A spacer is a flat disk with the wheel hole patern drilled to allow the spacer to be installed between the brake drum and the wheel. The thickness of the spacer moves the wheel away from the brake drum. The lug bolts may not be long enough to allow spacers. Verify you have enough thread engagement to be safe. Proceed with extreme caution. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote