Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #21
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
Anything thoughts on the Yokohama RY215 for a rib tire for those with 15" rims?
The RY215 is an excellent choice for tandem axle trailers with a GVW under #8,000 in my opinion.

For a '79 Sovereign, you'd be good to go.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks Top. The RY215 looks like a solid tire at a decent price. I noticed that for those with 16" rims, it's available in a 16" load range F as well.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I also used the RY215 on my previous Silver Streak. A good choice
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Michelin XPS RIB vs. LTX M/S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It has been suggested the XPS Rib is a stiffer ride in reading I have done, and that's not the direction I want to go with our rather fragile Airstream. Airstream puts the Michelin 16" LTX M/S on their premium models. I have never seen a report of a blowout of these 16" LTX M/S so the reliability is there, although I doubt a blowout is a safety issue on a trailer, especially with tandem axles.

I see no advantage to XPS Rib over LTX M/S, and there may be a disadvantage in ride quality. Our LTX M/S have traveled about 20,000 miles so far with virtually no sign of wear.

The ride quality is the same as I stated having owned them both.The Rib is just a higher quality tire with a better sidewall that travel trailers require.
A blowout on any type of vehicle is a safety concern.What a foolish statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I do not believe that the XPS Rib is a better or safer tire than the LTX m/s, except that it is a higher mileage tire and is designed to be useful in fleet retreading programs.

Most Airstream tires age out before they wear out.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Not anymore. I placed a set of Ribs on my 2004 Sprinter service van and got over 90K miles from them.

I added a new set to my current 2011 Sprinter last May, and they were the WORST tire I have ever experienced. Massive oversteer during the 3600 Mike trip from FL to OR last year.

When I applied the Michelin 30 day satisfaction warranty to get them replaced, I went back to the LTX MS2 tires.

Discount Tire also said that the warranty on the Rib is now 60K, while the LTX Is still 70K.

Things change!!!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Wow Lewster, that surprises me. The information I have learned up to this point was the RIB was a great tire, but just expensive and not worth the extra money over the LTX. This is the first bad experience I have read about with the RIB. I'm not sure if whatever was causing the oversteer would have been a problem on a trailer though, unless perhaps it caused a tracking problem. Thanks again though for all the advice on these tires. It really helps to get advice from real people that have actually used the products.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
Wow Lewster, that surprises me. The information I have learned up to this point was the RIB was a great tire, but just expensive and not worth the extra money over the LTX. This is the first bad experience I have read about with the RIB. I'm not sure if whatever was causing the oversteer would have been a problem on a trailer though, unless perhaps it caused a tracking problem. Thanks again though for all the advice on these tires. It really helps to get advice from real people that have actually used the products.
Yes, that experience certainly was an eye-opener for me....especially after such a great first experience with the Ribs. When I started to notice the problems with the second set, I tried all the usual suspects: tire rotation, tire pressure, front end alignment, ect. Nothing changed!

I'll be staying with the LTX-MS2. These are my 4th set at a combined Sprinter mileage of 280,000. Never an issue.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
No problems with oversteer on my trailer.Lol

Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We've just installed our second set of XPS ribs. Our first set started to show some wear after 8 years and 110,000 miles on our 30 foot bunkhouse. They do not ride rough as some people suggest. Not a single rivet has popped on our trailer, nor has any interior cabinetry come loose. We run the tires at 65 psi. We decided to go with Ribs 8 years ago after multiple Marathon failures and a trip to Disneyland. At Disneyland we observed that they use Ribs exclusively on there parking lot trams. They also cannot tolerate a single failure, period.

Bye,

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Paul-

Very interesting information that you've been running at 65 psi with your XPS Ribs. What does your Safari weigh?

I need to make a correction to my earlier post--we are running XPS Ribs, as well--we went for the sturdier sidewalls, along with Centramatics and 16" Sendels. And we did have a too stiff running problem at 78 psi on our first run with the 16's in that we are seeing some rivets loosening, but more importantly had a cabinet burst open and drawers fly around the coach. So we're looking for a balance between 80 psi keeping the sidewalls strongest for scrubbing, and a ride that doesn't punish the coach. Our 2009 28' International weighs 6980 fully loaded for the road, so a tire pressure in the low 70's looks quite safe for the load. We're next going to try 73 psi, and if the ride seems OK, leave it there and see how the tires fare.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
If you go to the Michelin RV (Michelin RV Tires | View Michelin RV Tires load and inflation tables for motorhomes and recreational vehicles. | Michelin RV Tires ) site they have a load an inflation table for the XPS RIB. It looks like they are primarily talking about motorhomes, but I think the table is still useful. They say each tire should support 2335 lbs at 65 PSI. If you inflate them to the full 80 PSI they should support 2680 lbs. Even at 65 PSI you can safely support 9340 lbs over 4 tires. That is more than sufficient for my 30fb which has a gross carrying weight of about 8500 lbs. That would leave a 9% safety factor, assuming the trailer was fully loaded, which I have never loaded it nearly that heavy.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
I am buying a 30ft international tomorrow and need to put tires on it before it's trek from Iowa to TX. Can I simply just take off the 15" wheels and replace with 16" with Michelin LTX MS2.? Is there a clearance issue or anything?

ASTailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Michelin XPS RIB vs. LTX M/S2

Simple bolt on with no clearance issues .I run 70 psi with our 28ft International.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I just noticed that Michelin describes the XPS RIB as a "summer tire" with traction designed for "a temperate environment" and they are not recommended to be used where "temperatures are colder" or "near freezing".

During the shoulder seasons, I often go over mountain passes with freezing conditions (but no snow or ice). Seems like an emergency need for trailer braking (maybe a deer in the road), could be a cause for concern under these conditions with the XPS RIBS.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
I just noticed that Michelin describes the XPS RIB as a "summer tire" with traction designed for "a temperate environment" and they are not recommended to be used where "temperatures are colder" or "near freezing".

During the shoulder seasons, I often go over mountain passes with freezing conditions (but no snow or ice). Seems like an emergency need for trailer braking (maybe a deer in the road), could be a cause for concern under these conditions with the XPS RIBS.

They work fine in snow or rain.With Ice you will need a guardian angel and nerves of steel unfortunately.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
But that seems contrary to Michelin's specs. Have you ever tried a hard stop with your trailer brakes in low temperature conditions?
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
We've just installed our second set of XPS ribs. Our first set started to show some wear after 8 years and 110,000 miles on our 30 foot bunkhouse.

We're the RIBS showing signs of dry rot at 8 years?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
We have a few sports cars with Michelin Pilot summer tires. The compound will get stiffer in cold weather, but they warm up fine once you start driving. We drive them at temperatures well below freezing, but never in ice or snow. I would not worry about the rubber compound on the RIB having trouble in the winter, but the tread design does not look like it will grip in snow as well as the LTX. That may be a concern if you need to stop on snow, but then again, maybe not. My experience with summer tires is just on sports cars.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
But that seems contrary to Michelin's specs. Have you ever tried a hard stop with your trailer brakes in low temperature conditions?

Yes I have had them in all types of weather from 117 degrees to 10.Snow,rain and light Ice.No worries they do great.The tread design does not pick up and hold gravel like the LTX's.