Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4x4 View Post
What happens in your tv under that same scenario?
It did and I'm still here.

The point is on the truck the weight was not placed on the other tire on that side, it just fell to to ground. So the remaining tires were not overstressed and all stopped fine.

But on the trailer if one tire blows, the weight is placed on the tire next to it. So my thinking is, why not have that remaining tire at its maximum load capability?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
What about black and gray water

All of the conversations about tires and GVW prompted me to do a little math using my trailer numbers.

39 gallons of fresh water @ 8.345 pounds per gallon 325.5 pounds
39 gallons of black water @ 10 pounds (guessing here) per gallon 390 pounds
37 gallons of gray water @ 8.5 pounds per gallon 314.5 pounds
6 gallons in water heater @ 8.345 pounds per gallon 50 pounds
2 gallons of water in the plumbing rounded up 17 pounds

The total weight of the water appears to be around 1,097 pounds in the worst case scenairo.

The Hensley hitch head estimated at 140 pounds

This brings an estimated load to 1,237 out of the factory spec no options payload of 1,748 pounds.

Thus to be legal if all the fluid tanks are full, "my stuff" must weigh less that 511 pounds.

My Stuff includes the things that tend to remain in the trailer at all times such as second TV, tools, wheel chocks and pads, solar panel, Centramatics wheel balancers, Dish TV antenna and control box, bedding, dishes, pots and pans, flatware etc. Thus, the real available weight for clothes, food and personal items could be under two hundred pounds.

I hope to get the trailer to the scales soon to get it's "current" empty weight. The tongue scale I have shows about 1,150 pounds tongue weight.

Thus if there is no dumping station before hitting public roads and the tanks are full, then payload is a lot less. If I can off load the black and gray water before hitting public roads, then I gain just over 700 pounds of useful load or additional less weight on the tires going down the highway with a resulting gain in safety factor.

Do most folks plan "their stuff" payload weight based upon empty black and gray water tanks?

This has an impact on tire selection as well.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Are your black and gray holding tanks really that big?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Perry, yes, those are typical tank sizes for newer trailers; mine being a 30' has a fresh water tank that is larger -- 55 gallons.

Switz, there is absolutely no substitute for weighing the trailer on a scale. I have checked periodically and know that with my rig and the stuff I usually carry I'm not going to break 8500 pounds.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I would like to weigh my trailer, can you give me some tips? I would to weigh the tounge, total, and hook-up. At $8.00 per weigh Its close by and slow now until potatoes are harvested.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
15" 235 75

Following the lead of others on this forum I put a set on a '72 Excella 31' empty with Centramatics with "axle sag" (That was a wrestling match !!) and towed 175 miles+ @ 45PSI with no problems or complaints. This was my maiden trip towing AS and I was delighted with the handling and road feel.I could feel the AS suspension through the TV. I parked at the lot and inspected the interior to find evidence of a rough ride,the kitchen drawer full out,but no signs of damage (from this trip). I could tell the AS was bottoming on some bumps so a call to Andy at Inland was completed on Monday for an axle upgrade.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #27
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Weighing a trailer?

You want Chapter 4 - RV Applications

RMA: Tire Service Professionals
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
ashland , Missouri
Are you still happy with your LTX235/75r15 looks like I will have to go this route, I had bought 16" rims with 0 offset like airstream says, didn't buy tires yet just got a used 225/75r16, but they don't clear at the bottom I need about a 4" or 4 1/2" back space, I have a 72 25' tradewind, looking at next option

Red
Redder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Wheel offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redder View Post
Are you still happy with your LTX235/75r15 looks like I will have to go this route, I had bought 16" rims with 0 offset like airstream says, didn't buy tires yet just got a used 225/75r16, but they don't clear at the bottom I need about a 4" or 4 1/2" back space, I have a 72 25' tradewind, looking at next option

Red
Check with Andy at Inland about correct offset for your model & year. Mine were a tight fit going on with bad axles.New axles should improve clearance for changing wheels.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We had to deflate the 16-inch tires to get them into the wheel wells, and then re-inflate them after they were bolted down. The trim on some wheel wells makes this a tight fit; although, this assumes your axles are OK.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Due to other cascading issues, the trailer with it's new Michelin 15" tires has only made two trips to the scales, empty and loaded with water and stuff for a total of about 146 miles.

If some dust settles soon, I hope that early next week a test pull with the new TV across the scales will be possible.

I personally removed the OEM Goodyears, a pair at a time, and took them to have the Michelins installed and put them back on to the trailer. The spare was done last as it was placed on each side as a backup to the jack stand while I exchanged the rubber.

They are inflated to the maximum side wall pressure imprinted on the tire, which if my memory is correct would be 50psi. I am out of state and thus can not see the actual tires to refresh my recollection.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
ashland , Missouri
Yes my axles are fine, I had to deflate my 16" tire to get on, I am going to try the other side to see if it's the same, I have plenty of room in back just not the front, And I have a 235/75r15 on my toyota land cruiser that is same bolt pattern, so I will see how it fits. Its starting to ware me out tire blues Red
Redder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Redder, just a thought: Most Airstream wheels are "0" (zero) offset, and your Land Cruiser wheels most likely are not. (Many motorized vehicle wheels have offsets, so they will clear disk brake hardware.) Therefore, is it highly unlikely that your tow vehicle wheels will fit in the wheel wells and over the hubs on your Airstream.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Question 15"Michelins

3weeks ago I weighted the trailer, the weight was 6500 lbs. Then I weight the trailer with the back tires just off the scale and the trailer weighted 5500 lbs. 950 lbs was transfered to the tow vehicel. Thus puts the trailer weight at 5500 lbs attached. Still being undecited, can anyone tell me why 15" michelins are a bad idea?
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Coaster,
While I am not an expert and do not claim to be, I see nothing wrong with that set up. As a matter of fact, I have an '06 25 foot Safari and put the 235/75R/15 Michelins on my trailer in January. I had had all the experience with the Marathons that I wanted. After a lot of reading on here and other sources, I decided that it was the right combination for me. I have only made one trip of any duration with them but I feel entirely comfortable with them. And more so than the Marathons. You get to make the decision. Good luck.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #36
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
3weeks ago I weighted the trailer, the weight was 6500 lbs. Then I weight the trailer with the back tires just off the scale and the trailer weighted 5500 lbs. 950 lbs was transfered to the tow vehicel. Thus puts the trailer weight at 5500 lbs attached. Still being undecited, can anyone tell me why 15" michelins are a bad idea?
The only concern I have is that 5500# is spread over 4 tires, but not evenly. There is side to side and front to rear differences. Without those values, it's just a guess as to what the worst tire load is - and based on the values, I don't think there is a problem, but, again, it's an unknown.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Has anyone had issues getting the tire store to mount light truck tires on your Airstream? I've read somewhere they don't want to do it because trailers should have ST tires and there is some perceived liability.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Has anyone had issues getting the tire store to mount light truck tires on your Airstream? I've read somewhere they don't want to do it because trailers should have ST tires and there is some perceived liability.

Kelvin
I have not had that problem at Discount Tire. However, I don't take the trailer there, just the wheels. But, I do tell them the tires are going on a trailer. They have suggested that I use "ST" tires, and when they did, I told them, "Look, these tires are going on a $65,000 Airstream, would you use "ST" tires?". At which point, they said, "I understand".

Bottom line, I don't think it will be a problem as long as you buy tires from them that are rated to carry the required weight.

One last note, if you take them the trailer, watch them closely and don't let them jack it up under the axles, because like the Casita, the Airstream axles will bend.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The Discount Tire store that we usually go to has one person that handles all of their trailer customers. That guy's dad has owned several big travel and heavy equipment trailers, and the "trailer expert" salesperson is very knowledgeable about ST and LT tires.

This person sold me the Maxxis ST tires after our GYM problems, and discovered the defective Maxxis tire while installing our Centramatics, about a year the Maxxis tire purchase. He told me his dad had gone through about all the ST tire brands they carry and now runs BF Goodrich Commercial TA (LT) tires on his trailers.

When I told him about the tire discussion threads on this forum, he told me that the Michelin XPS Ribs were comparable in construction to the Commercial TA's, only more expensive.

So, to answer your question, our Discount Tire had no problems installing LT tires on our Bambi. In fact, they recommended them due our prior tire failure history.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Can Am installed 15" LT tires in our 27' Classic. I asked about 16" and was told by Andy it was a waste if money the 15" will be fine.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote