Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Michelin

Getting ready for new tires and have read most of the threads in regards to Michelin tires. Am looking to replace my Marathons with Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R/15. My local tire shop really questioned me hard about this. He was concerned that there is only 4 ply's. Anyone ever had this concern raised? Trying not to move to 16" tires...don't want to buy new wheels and want to stay stock on my 1978 Ambassador.
Thanks.
Tom
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Getting ready for new tires and have read most of the threads in regards to Michelin tires. Am looking to replace my Marathons with Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R/15. My local tire shop really questioned me hard about this. He was concerned that there is only 4 ply's. Anyone ever had this concern raised? Trying not to move to 16" tires...don't want to buy new wheels and want to stay stock on my 1978 Ambassador.
Thanks.
Tom
The minimum ply rating for your Airstream would be 6 ply, or load range "C".

However, load range "D" , 8 ply, would be even better.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I still use e rated trailer tires as mine are like new. Most that keep the 15's and go to a LT seem to be going to the tire and size you listed in your post. When I switch someday, those are the ones I will use.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The fact is, tires are rated in "Load range" these days "C, D, E, etc." and not in numbers of plys. There is a correlation between the ratings and the old number of ply ratings, but today, load range D, or even E, might only be four or less actual plys of cord.

If you don't believe me, go look at the tires on your rig and right on the side of the tire, it will state the number of plys of what type material.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R/15 is has a service rating of 108, which translates to a max load of 2183 lb (according to TireRack.)

That's just over what Carlisle shows as the weight capacity for a 15" C Radial Trail trailer tire, 2150 lb.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
The trailer is 4700 lbs empty and sits on 3200 lb axles . I would think 2183 lbs/tire would be more than adequate without pushing any limits. Carlisle is what the tire shop recommended but the reviews on them are not good. Think these Michelin's are going to be it.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
Replaced the OEM Goodyears on our 2000 Bambi with 10 ply Carliles.. trips to North Shore Minn...Mesa Verta,Co and three trips to Sanibel,Fl ..miles .. a bunch no problems ... I see no need to go to 16"
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have the same Michlen 15" tires you mentioned on my 25' Excella. They have been on the trailer for almost 4 years now, probably 40,000 miles on them. One trip to Alaska and over Top of the World highway and the Alcan highway. They have performed perfectly. No flats, no punctures, no air loss. As to the toughness of the tires, I do not think the heavier tires make all that much difference, and I would rather run the slight risk of a puncture than the much larger risk of a blowout at speed from a poorly constructed tire.

Depends upon how much your trailer weighs. Mine has a listed GVW of 6800 lbs. My actual axle weight hitched is 5800 lbs. So the 1900 or so lbs weight rating for each tire adds up to a little margin.

What wheels do you have? Are they rated for 50 or 65 or 80 lbs.? Does it run with load range C or D trailer tires?

If you get enough weight capacity I think you will be happy with the LT load range C tires

Some one posted that they had found 15" load range D, LT tires by Continentel, the same tires used on Interstate vans. If you need the load range D tires for the weight rating and if your wheels are rated for 65 lbs that would be worth investigating.

On my larger trailer I went with the GYM, because of the load range D and because it sits a lot more than I pull it. If I had to do it over I would look for the Continentiel tires mentioned above
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R/15 is has a service rating of 108, which translates to a max load of 2183 lb (according to TireRack.)

That's just over what Carlisle shows as the weight capacity for a 15" C Radial Trail trailer tire, 2150 lb.
I have a set on an 85, 31 ft Limited. Used the same philosophy you stated above. Used them to tow to Fl and back with great IDE and great mileage.I believe the tire itself has a max load on it, as 2183. I am about to put 6 of them on a 34 ft Avion tri-axle.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You won't have any problems with those tires. They are the best you can buy for anything with 4 wheels. I have the BF Goodrich equivalents and they run great. The Michelins are better tires than the BF Goodrich tires.

Perry

Quote:
Thanks.
Tom
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
It was also suggested to me that I take a look at Continental Vanco 2 tires. Used on Sprinter vans I guess. Anyone have experience or knowledge of these tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R5V2&tab=Sizes
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Thanks.
Tom
I'm running these on our 1971 Trade Wind. Plenty of extra capacity w/ 2800 lb axles and ~4200 lbs of tire capacity/axle. They roll very easily and we get 14 mpg pulling w/ Michelins all around.

The local tire shop (expert at all sorts of exotics) had no reservations using these tires on the trailer.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
I am in the same boat. Need to replace maratons: Andy seems to think that the Michelins don't have enough plys. What would be the best tires without going to 16"?
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
I am in the same boat. Need to replace maratons: Andy seems to think that the Michelins don't have enough plys. What would be the best tires without going to 16"?
According to Airstream, your trailer has a "4300 Lb. Axle System"; you'll need your tires to be rated at 2150 lbs at least. The 235/75R15 LTX M/S2 Michelin highway all season tires are rated at 2205 lbs/tire at 118 mph.

These tires should work nicely.

If you wanted your tires to carry more than the axle, Continental Vanco 2 tires will work in load range D 225/70R15 with an overall diameter of 27.4 inches, as opposed to the 28.9 of the Michelin tires, or only about 3/4" less ground clearance. You'll want to make sure your rims are rated to 65 psi for the Contis as others have noted; the Michelin tires go to 50 psi.

Find a local (not chain) tire dealer if this is unclear; they can help you.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #15
Luc
2 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Thanks! I'll just have to watch it and drive under 118mph ! Reading These threads, it seems that Airstreamers have had good luck with Michelin. I will probably go with that.
Luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Trailer tire manufactures play games with ratings. They take a cheaply made tire and lower the speed ratings so they can jack up the load ratings and the pressures. Now you have a crappy tire that is overloaded. Maybe this is why when they explode they do a lot of damage. The 235 tire is wider so it handles more load with less pressure. It is also passenger rated with a much larger safety factor and speed rating than trailer tires. Compare the weights of similar tires. The heavier tire is the one that is made better with stronger plies.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
I did make the switch to 16" wheels and tires. Michelin LTX M/S 225/7516E (05 Classic, 31 D) When I got home last fall from a 22,000 mile trip, I parked the trailer in the storage yard, and did nothing to the tires until I brought it home for cleaning and outfitting for this seasons trip. Unlike the previous Marathon Radials which always needed air, the Michelins did not loose any air pressure over the last 5 months.
artwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Take the wheel position axle average and add 15%.

2,150-lbs per tire GVWR, would be about 2400-2500 lbs.

The only accurate way is to weigh the TT, wheel-by-wheel, loaded for travel, full up. As any one of four on a tandem axle trailer is likely to carry more than the others the heaviest wheel position is the one to work from.

But you won't know what it is, or how far off it is from the others without 10 minutes of work.

Stick with commercial LT tires, etc, etc

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Tom..I installed the Michelin LTX M/S2 235/75R/15 tires on my 31ft. Classic following a blowout on the original GM tire which did $7k worth of damage last November. I have been very happy with the tires. We probably have about 2,000 miles on them so far. I considered going to the 16 inch but just didn't have the time to determine exactly what I wanted in rims. I have never had a Michelin tire fail on me and I put them on all of my vehicles. The load range of the tires do cover my trailer but not with a lot of cushion. We pretty much only load clothing when we leave and pick up rest of the heavy items once we get to where we are going. You should have no problem at all with your weight. Hope this helps...Steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Bought the 15" Michelin's a few days ago. A few days before that I installed new axles as well. I should be good to go for a long time. I appreciate everybody's opinions. It certainly helps when making a decision such as this.