Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Michelin 16"s & Hi-Spec Wheels, Dill TPMS

Folks,

Officially converted to Hi-Spec Wheel HiSpec Wheel & Tire, Inc. - The Safety Wheel I chose Series S5, Michelin LTX MS LT225/75R16 and a new Dill TPMS system. Bruce B has pointed this wheel company out to us previously. These wheels feature steel inserts for the lug nuts. The lug nuts are solid steel Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories Gorilla 41188HT, no more caps.

I was able to bundle the purchase thru Discount Tire in Rock Hill SC. This gave me single source responsibility & invoicing. I did the mounting on the trailer.

This is my second Dill TPMS and it looks like they are now supplying it with a newer monitor, see pic of actual daylight display photo. The only suggestion about the Dill is to look carefully at the internal sensor unit and stems. My old set was clearly marked ABCD that allowed you to easily match the wheel position to the display. The new one was not externally marked but it does have a small code on the sensor that you can use to match to the display positions. Also new monitor also shows temp along with PSI for each wheel in rotation.

Only a short test drive so far but the ST's are off and those new Hi-Specs really took care of an eyesore on my rig.

Alumalina will be 1st outing.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16's A.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	206601   Click image for larger version

Name:	16's B.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	206602  

Name:	Dill TPMS.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	206603  
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Not an easy set of decisions for each component shown, and deserving of a thread. Hope at some point you'll weigh each wheel position individually (WD appled and both vehicles loaded for camping) so we can see load reserve percentage.

I think there is some general consensus about LTX MICHELNS being a bit squirrelly the first few thousand miles. Might not be able to feel it at the steering wheel, but I'll be curious about your experience (and that of switz) in what you have to report up to and after break-in.

CapriRacer mentions in several places that near-absolute tire pressure rise from dead-cold is not seen until after 1.5-hrs of steady-state driving. As it also takes nearly as long for TV & TT greases, fluids, etc, to reach specified operating temps (and burn off condensation, etc), a full 1.5 to 2.0 hours to first refuel is a good point to check it all out . . . and to plan second refuel before exiting Interstate at days end. This allows the first snapshot of "ideal" fuel burn given use of cruise control and 65-mph or lower travel speed. Also, obviously, a good point for CAT Scale use.

I don't recall what you've posted (if you have) for fuel economy. However important or not, it's a measure of how well we've set up an articulated rig. I looked all over AIR and the net in re 28'-35' aero aluminum TT's weighing 7-11k to match mine against years ago -- found about a dozen reports mainly from Southern and South Central U.S. -- where the TV was a Dodge CTD and 14-16 mpg at or under a 65-mph travel speed was the number set to match. The actual fuel burn average is what matters most, but the snaphot is a worthwhile acquisition, IMO.

On the TV a change from closed-shoulder "highway rib" tires to open shoulder tires (MICHELIN ATX to MICHELIN LTX) would/will account for a loss of 1-2/mpg. The effect on the TT may be smaller, but I'd want to account for it nevertheless. ST tires are predominately "closed shoulder" (which runs cooler).

Thanks for posting, and, yes, looks great!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Not an easy set of decisions for each component shown, and deserving of a thread. Hope at some point you'll weigh each wheel position individually (WD appled and both vehicles loaded for camping) so we can see load reserve percentage.

I think there is some general consensus about LTX MICHELNS being a bit squirrelly the first few thousand miles. Might not be able to feel it at the steering wheel, but I'll be curious about your experience (and that of switz) in what you have to report up to and after break-in.

CapriRacer mentions in several places that near-absolute tire pressure rise from dead-cold is not seen until after 1.5-hrs of steady-state driving. As it also takes nearly as long for TV & TT greases, fluids, etc, to reach specified operating temps (and burn off condensation, etc), a full 1.5 to 2.0 hours to first refuel is a good point to check it all out . . . and to plan second refuel before exiting Interstate at days end. This allows the first snapshot of "ideal" fuel burn given use of cruise control and 65-mph or lower travel speed. Also, obviously, a good point for CAT Scale use.

I don't recall what you've posted (if you have) for fuel economy. However important or not, it's a measure of how well we've set up an articulated rig. I looked all over AIR and the net in re 28'-35' aero aluminum TT's weighing 7-11k to match mine against years ago -- found about a dozen reports mainly from Southern and South Central U.S. -- where the TV was a Dodge CTD and 14-16 mpg at or under a 65-mph travel speed was the number set to match. The actual fuel burn average is what matters most, but the snaphot is a worthwhile acquisition, IMO. Our trucks aren't getting any younger.

On the TV a change from closed-shoulder "highway rib" tires to open shoulder tires (MICHELIN ATX to MICHELIN LTX) would/will account for a loss of 1-2/mpg. The effect on the TT may be smaller, but I'd want to account for it nevertheless. ST tires are predominately "closed shoulder" (which runs cooler).

BTW I'm seeing best power/economy with a steady diet of EXXON diesel treated with silver POWER SERVICE (or, SCHAEFFERS "Diesel Treat 2000").

Thanks for posting, and, yes, looks great!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Slowmover,

Fuel mileage, no haven't posted any results from towing miles. The Cummins running empty gets just a smidge under 20MPG hand calculated. Most all of our trips have been 100-200 miles to destination so I really don't have towing loaded MPG figures. The Cummins just flat out does its job on the highway, the engine hits the sweet spot and then just enjoy the windshield time.

I can't remember a purchase that had more elements and took this much pondering to finally make a decision. I even made a spreadsheet trying to corral all of the data.

I think the input from the Dill will be able to add a whole lot of, well, Data to any tire discussion.

Getting it individual wheel load weighed, giving it some serious thought, but opportunity and scheduling need to line up a bit.

The MAXXIS didn't do anything other than their job since installed, but the general tire failure discussions pushed my decision to change. After putting the Michelins on and just stepping back, I think I saw one of them look around admire the wheelwell feel the load and then it yawned. This is all we gotta deal with? Lets go!

Since September I have put Michelins on my Dodge, VW Beetle TDI and now the AS.

And a tip of the hat to Clint at Discount Tire in Rock Hill SC, he did the research on my bill of material, got it quoted and they put it together with no issues.

Thanks,

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 03-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I have a Dill also. I like it, but I never understood why they don't show all four pressures and simply UPDATE them in rotation, instead of showing one at a time. Seems odd to me.

Congrats on the new wheels and tires!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Got to grin just a bit, submitted rebates to Discount Tire today for $125 combined on tires and wheel combo $$.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Hey Gary and Slowmo, guess a thank you is in order for all your technical expertise and willingness to share, even tho most of us probably can't really figure it all out. Sorta like someone instructing how to build a clock.......can't figure it out but sure do like knowing what time it is.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
John,

Tech Expertise just might be a polite stretch. But 16's are mounted and ready for debut at Alumalina.

This is a side by side of a new 16 and old 15, big difference in looks and you can see the size difference. No load on tires at time of pic.

Lets go camping.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	STREET 16 VS 15 B.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	207128  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Great looking tire and wheel combo Gary. You gotta feel good about rolling on those babies, especially with the Dills inside. Looking forward to their debut at Alumalina.

John

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 03-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Very nice! We just got home tonight after 5000 miles with our new HiSpes's and the accompanying Michelins. No problems at all the trailer handled well, smooth as silk.
I will give it a few more miles this summer and spin them to see how they have faired but I suspect that all will be well...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Hey Gary and Slowmo, guess a thank you is in order for all your technical expertise and willingness to share, even tho most of us probably can't really figure it all out. Sorta like someone instructing how to build a clock.......can't figure it out but sure do like knowing what time it is.

John
I look at it as being, "I'd like to do this once, but do it right". So to fgure it all out is more a matter of not wanting to spend money by better understanding of any issues involved. Some basic numbers. A place to start from as we'll all be replacing tires again in the future. Preferably at our leisure, and not on the side of the road. Or, upside down and waiting for the EMTs as tires and loads are really, really basic to a host of road-related potential problems.

You're welcome for what help you may find in my posts, and I have (I hope always) thanked others for keeping me from re-inventing the wheel (pun intended). Garys thread on disc brakes is a real keeper. I hope to do a comprehensive thread on weighing at some point, but switz is likely running numbers as we speak (my TT is unlikely to move for a while and will undergo changes in the interim). As RobertCross indicates, dial it all in and then check it at the begining of each season.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I call it "the curse".....

.....of being a perfectionist. No matter the project, large or small, I want it right the first time, done to last a long time. I analize every darn thing, seeking perfection. Those 2am wake ups that keep you up the rest of the nite. You and Gary have a gift of being able to analize things to the umpteenth degree, and then make sense of it.

I really do enjoy seeking perfection, but I also believe those folks that don't give a crap are having the most fun.......and they sleep all nite.

John

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Springdale , Arkansas
Gary,
In your photo I notice the hydraulic jack centered between your wheels. Was that for lifting or stabilization? Did you use the jack point rear of the wheels as the AS manual directs?
Just curious because I know this is a point of contention in other threads. Nice looking upgrade! I plan to do similar on our 23FB, except from 14" to 15"
Patrick
'48 Willys CJ2a
Ozark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark10 View Post
Gary,
Just curious because I know this is a point of contention in other threads. Patrick

Patrick,

Correct word, contention.

That is not a hydraulic jack it is a service jack from a 1 Ton full size pickup. I have two of them and I have raised this trailer up more than I ever wanted to almost all for ST issues and working on my hydraulic brakes. IT has a large squarish base and a saddle at the top of the post that does a nice job holding the frame flange. If you put this 1 Ton P/U jack next to the one from my Ram 2500 3/4 Ton you can easily see how much bigger it is. You crank it up and crank it down.

FWIW, YMMV, IMHO etc this is how I raise my trailer.

Gary
Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You might want to investigate a Trailer Aid ramp that eliminates the need for a jack to change tires on your AS. Much easier and safer IMHO.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
One came with trailer but when I need to service tires or brakes, I use the 1 Ton jack as shown.

Gary
Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I have one of those "Trailer Aid" things to drive up on. If you have ever used one, and look at the tire sitting on it, you would wonder how in the world all the weight of the trailer can rest on 1 darn tire. It is scary, like it just may blow at any second.

Sure, they are "engineered" to roll on 1 tire in emergencys, but it is still scary.

I like the jack method myself.

John

Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Very nice! We just got home tonight after 5000 miles with our new HiSpes's and the accompanying Michelins. No problems at all the trailer handled well, smooth as silk.
I will give it a few more miles this summer and spin them to see how they have faired but I suspect that all will be well...
Bruce
Hey Bruce,
Which HiSpec wheels did you go with? Did you stay at 15"? I'm pondering making this upgrade on our 23FB which currently has 14" wheels.
Patrick
'48 Willys CJ2a
Ozark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Patrick,
We replaced our original 15" wheels with a Series 3 HiSpec. It is a virtual copy of the original in size shape and style. Nice wheels!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote