Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Maxxis Tires Now Running

Well as of last night we officially are riding on Maxxis ST E rated tires. We took the Classic 25 miles to its inside storage home after getting the wheels back on, and will roll it back home this weekend in prep for our Florida trip.

So far no observations other than the auto repair guys who mounted the tires ignored my request to inflate the tires to 75 psi (they filled them to 65). So at this point based on the Maxxis inflation chart their capacity is the same as my old D rated Marathons. I'll get that extra 10 lbs in next week.

The E's are 10 ply rated with 2 belts polyester, 2 belts steel, and one belt nylon for the tread. The side walls are 2 belts polyester. Looks like the ride was OK. Upon arrival I didn't notice anything being out of place or any drawers open. So for now nothing of note regarding ride quality within the trailer or the tow vehicle itself.

We got the set for $360 from a small outstate tire dealer. My neighbor brought them home for me. Locally the auto repair charged me $15 each to mount, balance the new tires and dispose of the Marathons.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'm running Maxxis UE168's on my 34' Avion. They had E rated in 225/75-15, but they were too small in diameter. I run the 235/75-15. They fit, but fillup the wheelwells. The Avion has swing arm suspension so it worked OK, I'm not sure if there'd be enough clearance on torsion type suspension, but I figure there would be.

Anyway, I've got about 1700 miles on them to date and they're doing just fine.

The UE168 is an LT tire but is also rated ST. It's a commercial truck tire basically, with three ply sidewalls (it really has three plies, even though it's rated as 8 ply). I don't notice the ride being too harsh.

With the triple axle, even at "just" load range D, I've got about 50% extra capacity with these tires. So far so good.

Best of luck with your's,
Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have about 8,000 miles on our Maxxis E's. We run them at 70 psi on a 2005 25FB. So far, so good after three blow-outs on the OEM Marathons.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
When I had brake/bearing/tire failure last week on the way to VA., I stopped by the Goodyear place in Kingsport, TN. and they had Maxxis D rated in stock but would have to have the Marathon brought over from another store. I had them mount the Maxxis and it did fine for the next 1,000 miles of the trip.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Well we put 1,700 miles on the new tires in the last 12 days. All seems well, I ran them at 75 psi. Tires ran cool the whole way down and back. Went through heavy rain today from Nashville back to STL. Tires seem to stick well. No abnormal inside disarray. Went through some rough roads in Birmingham and Montgomery Alabama. Found some drawers in the kitchen slid open, but I had that with the Goodyears.

I'll tell you I have a much greater level of comfort knowing I using E rated tires now. I'm hoping for many more miles of trouble free towing. For those unwilling to move up to the LT tires and 16 inch wheels, these tires seem to be a good compromise.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
For a while now, I've come to the conclusion that these are the right tires for my trailer. I was bored this evening and did a search on nylon caps on tires...I found this interesting:

So, Do You Need a Nylon Cap? - TIME

In Jack's case, he had actual tread seperation if I recall correctly. A number of us have said our Marathons blew out. I don't think (read, I'm not sure) the Marathons have a nylon cap to them FWIW.

Here is another article on nylon caps I found interesting:

Drivers.com: TV program slams Goodyear over tire
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
_

. , .
nope marathons don't have nylon caps...

we spent a bit of time on this issue last summer...

before jc made the switch following the branson rally.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ion-34105.html

see posts 64-68...

thanks for the reminder twink,

i'll be updating a tire thread soon too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Maxxis Tires

After owning a SOB fifth wheel for a few years and having a couple of tire blowouts, I became more sensitive to tire quality. When I bought my 2002 A/S last fall and it still had the original tires on it, I decided to replace them immediately with what I could determine as the best ST tire. I chose the Maxxis 10 ply trailer tire and haven't had any problems yet after 2,000 miles. Time (and miles) will tell. And I do check the inflation regularly and keep speed down to help avoid tire overheating.
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
From what I understand, the rims on my 2004 Safari and similar rims installed on other trailers within the Airstream fleet have a 65psi maximum rating. Given my weight, the 8plys are more than enough, unless, I do any upgrading to the Safari...but then again, even if I got new axles rated for 7000lbs(vs my 6000lb ratings) the 8ply would still be more than enough.

Now I don't know and can't say for sure what the max pressure in the Classic style rims was in 2004 or if the different rims now offered by Airstream in the Classic line. I do know that the non Classic lines, the newer style rims still have a 65psi rating.

Why do I say all this? Well, to get the full weight load benefits of the 10ply you would need have the tire at 80psi. Now my first reaction to this was, "it's a rim, how could 15psi make that much difference to a rim?" But then, I realized I was talking like a non-engineer (which I'm not an engineer), so there must be some reason why the rims I've described can only be inflated to 65psi. Now I'd be somewhat concerned buying 10 ply tires and keeping them filled to 65psi. To me couldn't that cause more heat buildup due to a bit higher rolling resistance? Also, I'm no mathmatican, but if you do buy the 10 plys and only fill them to 65 psi, how much of the stated weight can the 10 ply tires at 65psi carry over the 8 ply tires at 65psi? Enough to justify the additional cost of the 10ply tires overall (not just in my situations, because in my situation, clearly with my weight, even if I do lots of mods, could not touch that of Jack's slide out unit).

I had first thought of going with the 10ply from the standpoint that my Safari may be my last RV and I've been doing upgrades and planning upgrades for it, thus increasing the weight. But then when I saw the rims could only handle 65psi, I started to condsider simply going with the 8ply tires now and if need be, looking at upgrading the rims to either the Classic, which hopefully could handle the higher pressures or simply a properly sized rim that could, if I found I added significant more weight to the Safari doing upgrades and adding some carry on things (read being less concerned with what I pack).

For now, there won't be that much more weight added to my Safari until I swap out, or should I say, if I swap out the countertops to a corian type product. I think there, would be my biggest weight addition. Still the 10ply is appealing for an added layer of protection...any comments on any of this?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
_

. , .
the discontinued alcoa rims are rated for 95psi, not 65.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/433671-post3.html

the alloy rims on safaris/ccds are similarly rated 90-100 psi.

the wheel/rim specs should be stamped on the BACK SIDE of the wheels.

only the tires themselves are 65psi cold inflation.

during towing (especially in warm weather) the tires pressures can and do rise as high as 75 psi.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thats interesting because when the factory had the new style Safari rims for sale on eBay, they listed the rims as 65psi max. Additionally the factory had my style rims, the discontinued Safari type rims and they also listed them as 65psi rims. When I had asked about it, they confirmed that both were in fact 65psi rims. I'll have to look at the back of mine to say for sure. Clearly the tires I've had on both the Bambi and Safari were the same size and both 65psi. I had never heard of a rim that was only rated to 65psi. I have no idea what the Classics run, in terms of max PSI, but this is all new to me, I'm just picking things up before I make my final selection on number of plys per tire.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
... When I had asked about it, they confirmed that both were in fact 65psi rims...
i'm not surprised someone might tell ya this...

but there are so many specs to keep sorted, it's very easy to confuse which rating is which...

tires...

ply rating, load rating, cold inflation pressures, blow off pressures...

wheels....

load rating, pressure rating, offset, lug torque specs, lug spacing....

valve stems...

pressure rating, length, diameter...

and so on.

but spec'ing a wheel with NO pressure capacity above the tire wouldn't be wise....

typically the blow off rating for tires is nearly 2x the cold inflation figure, and the rims need to tolerate this too....

when alcoa/as started using the 5 spoke 'classic' style rim, most goodyear marathons they used were cold inflation rated to 50 psi...

so 95 is ~ 2x that figure....

for the discontinued 5 spoke alcoas, the pressure rating and lug torque are the same figure, 95.

cheers
2air'

zoom zoom posted this page from the service manual with wheel sizes and lug nut torque specs,

it IS worthwhile to link again, and copy this page, i think....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1154447011

originally posted here; see post # 81-86...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...uts-24644.html

Old 02-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Have a 20' 2007 Safari and one of the first things I did after I bought it was to replace the Goodyear Marathons with Maxxis. Having had Marathon tire problems on another trailer I didn't want a repeat with the AS. Anyway before doing so I called Airstream and asked what tire pressure the aluminum rims on my trailer were good for. The person I talked to pulled the engineering drawings and told me they were rated at 85 lbs. BTW I run my Maxxis at 70 lbs which is 5 lbs over the Marathon. Only reason for using more that I can see is if you wanted to try and carry more weight which would then exceed the axle rating.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Eric, I remember the 2004 Classic wheels were rated 85 lbs or so. While your wheels are rated for 65 lbs. consider that they probably will carry higher pressure since 65 lbs. cold will be higher that that on a hot tire. I ran my tires at 75 lbs. on the trip to Fl. in November and did not detect any temperature issues even though max inflation on that E rated tire is 80 psi.

You do raise a good question as to whether a D rated tire at 65 psi runs cooler than an E rated tire at 65. Maybe an email to Maxxis could help you out there. To be honest though if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't have any concern regarding the D rated Maxxis. You still get the benefits of the cap on the tire. Based on your trailer weight, technically the D rated tire inflated to 65 psi has a lot of reserve built into it.

Jack

The question that begs to be answered is how much that wheel has in reserve to cover the pressures associated with 65lb. cold tires vs. a tire that is inflated to say 70 psi. I wish I was privy to that info.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Seems to me that you don't want to inflate the tire more than is required to safely care the load. Inflating more than is required only makes for a harsher ride and that is a whole other discussion.(rivets etc.).
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #16
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
All,

I have been following this thread for some time. Two questions come to mind:

1. Has any one running Maxis tires had any problems? (I assume no..)

2. Does anyone running maxis load range D tires notice a stiffer ride? I get the impression per the article quoted from Silvertwinkie that they may. However I do not necessarily believe everything our friends that manufacture tires say - "nylon caps produced a more rigid tire with a rougher ride." My ride is stiff enough as it is now and I do not want to make it any worse.

I have a 19' bambi CCD and considering that I have a single axle I plan on replacing my Goodyear Marathons this year with a pair of Maxis tires. My Marathons are 4 years old this April.

Thanks
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
I think Eric's concern was going to the E rated Maxxis rather than sticking with the D's. I don't believe you should be concerned about this assuming you stick to the D rated tires. If the nylon cap keeps those belts from squirming, all the more to it. At this point my slide out is the heaviest trailer that Airstream builds on a tandem axle. After the failure of a Marathon, I felt the extra weight capacity that the E rated tires provided was worth the upgrade.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 02-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Tires for 76 31' A/S

What would be the recommenced Maxxis ST tire size and load rande for my 1976 31' A/S? Thanks guys

Don Hardman
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh
What would be the recommenced Maxxis ST tire size and load rande for my 1976 31' A/S? Thanks guys

Don Hardman
If you know the GVWR of your unit, then add the weight rating of the D tires which is 2540lbs per tire x 4. If the total weight of your 31 footer is close to or exceeds what 2540x4 equals, then you'd need to go to the E tires.

My guess is that a 31' 70s unit weighs less than my 2004 25' (6300lbs), so I'm thinking you'd be well under the max total capacity of the D rated tires....
Old 02-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Thanks that what I was thinking, D rating. Maxxis ST225/75R15.

Here in the Houston area I see that Discount Tire has the Maxxis tires. Now all I need to do is decide if I need the axles replaced which I am looking into now. Of course aluminum wheels would be great to. When does the government "stimulus" check get here?

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote