Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Maxxis Tires -Load Range?

My Goodyear marathons are now about 5 years old and while they still look in good shape, (except I just found I have a nail in one!!) I think I will be prudent and replace them at this point in time.

I've read many good reports about Maxxis tires on this forum - and quite a few negative reports of the Marathons, so I think I will give the Maxxis tires a try.

My size is ST225/75R15, and the present tires are load range D which I believe to be correct for my trailer which has a GVW of 8700 lbs.

I notice from their website that Maxxis offers a load range D and a load range E in this size, and I wondered if it might be worth the extra few $$ to go with the E rating.

My thoughts were that perhaps this might buy me a little more assurance against a blow out - but I could be completely wrong in this. Perhaps there is even a downside to going with too high a rating?

Before contacting a local dealer to order the tires, I have emailed Maxxis Canada to ask there advice in this regard. Not sure if I'll get a reply or not.

In the meanwhile I wondered if anyone here has thoughts or advice?

The other thing I wondered relates to the age of tires when bought new.

I fully expect to change these tires based on age rather than wear/condition and so obviously would like to buy tires that are as fresh as possible. But I wonder what is a reasonable expectation?

I believe Maxxis tires originate in China. I wonder if it is reasonable to expect to get tires that are no oder than, say, six months?

When I buy, I was thinking to try to insist on an age limit of the new tires, but I'm not sure what is fair and reasonable.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks ........... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Without a doubt go E!!!!!
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Without a doubt go E!!!!!
Thanks, Can I assume that means you have tried if and found no bad effects?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
I have the D rated Maxxis,they give a softer ride where the Es have a stiffer ride.They both are excellent tires.A friend of mine just had tires put on at Jackson Center and they recommended E which he went with(not Maxxis) Me I like the softer ride ,not as much things coming loose or falling over in the trailer. I run 55 psi and my friend with the E tires runs about 80 psi.
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
...Any thoughts or experience?...
of course there is (both) and it's already posted.

simply search using the M word in titles only...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1965629

if that's not enough info use the M word anywhere in the "tires" sub forum...

then select "posts only" and very specific stuff will pop up.
_________

you will read about separation and other issues with the M8008 here...

and at a MUCH HIGHER % of reports/vs/tires than with gyms.

at least 3 users here have reported failures, just last/this year.

the gyms u have now have performed flawlessly for 4 five years...

what more could one want?
_______

the ONE up side to switching tires is that when reports related to the gyms appear, one can think...

"hey that's NOT MY TIRE..."
_______

E rated tires exceed the rating of your alcoa rims, the ones that CRACK, remember?

the extra LOAD capacity only happens when the tires are INFLATED to higher pressures.

the rims are limited to 90-95 psi rating.

so the tires (80 psi) will easily tolerate 120-140 psi....

so that if when the HEAT UP the tire has capacity for that...

but the rims might not.

trying to IMAGINE extra protection from 'flats' in a tire with the same construction but 2 load ratings takes...

creative thinking not supported by basic tire/manufacturing concepts.
________

running at LOWER pressure also brings issues and since failure is PRIMARILY related to under inflation or age...

think (or read), before opting to go with LOWER inflations.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...res-65107.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...f-c-64182.html

these and MOST of the other issues are well covered already, here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post433671

and here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ing-37352.html

((there are links INside each of those threads too.
_________

the tire in question is made in thailand NOT chi'land

and there are specifics related to why going with the Ms might be a reasonable but totally wacky choice...

here from exactly post #91 upto #122.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post841894

as with everything, ymmv, vwp...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Brian,

The Maxxis tire specs should be on their website. The E tires probably have deeper tread and will last longer. The question is how long? Will a purchase of E tires mean more tread than you'll need? Will the tread last longer than 5 years? How many miles do you drive in 5 years? You may be able to find wear ratings for the tires, though maybe not. They are required for passenger tires and often are available for light truck tires, but may not be for ST tires.

You can check the load requirements of the trailer vs. the tire's load carrying ability. This determines tire pressure. There are a number of sources of information about that—I believe you can find that info on the Tire Rack website.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...The E tires probably have deeper tread and will last longer...
sorry, simply not so.

and ST tires do not carry UTQG ratings so wear metrics are not part of the descriptors.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
sorry, simply not so.

and ST tires do not carry UTQG ratings so wear metrics are not part of the descriptors.

cheers
2air'
1st sentence—I don't agree. Maxxis may have same tread depth, but I have seen difference depths on LT tires of different load ranges—worth checking specs for any info you can find.

2nd sentence—ST tires are not required to have that info, but if I were looking for any info, I'd, again, check specs for anything I could find.

As you know, my preference is for LT tires, but if I were shopping for ST tires I'd look for whatever I could get.

Gene
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Thanks, Can I assume that means you have tried if and found no bad effects?

Brian.
If you compare D and E Maxxis tires at the tire store they have the same thin flimsy sidewalls, and prolly the same number of ply's but stronger cord in the ply's. They will ride similar. I talked to a guy that eats, sleeps, and breathes tires 24-7-365days a yr. He told me in 225-75-15 size, only buy E rated ones as the others are junk no matter what the brand, given the present choice nowdays. If you buy the E rated ones just air them up as you did your D tires, just because they are rated E doesnt mean you have to inflate them to their max pressure, its the load your inflating for.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
of course there is (both) and it's already posted.

simply search using the M word in titles only...

cheers
2air'

Thanks for the helpful info - I had previously read quite a bit on the forum about tires but somehow came away with the wrong impression.

I never seem to have great success with searches - maybe just too much info to sift trough!

I guess I missed the incidences of failed Maxxis tires and had the understanding folks were generally very happy with the Maxxis product.

I did have problems with Marathons on my last trailer, an Award, at Fort Stockton Texas - not the greatest place to be stranded!

Three out of the four tires all started to throw tread, one badly and two others just starting.

I wouldn't blame the tires for that however - I would be embarassed to admit how old they were!

At that time, I didn't realize the importance of age.
I had felt that as long as the sidewalls were not cracked and I had good tread, all was ok! Obviously not necessarily so!

At that time also, I had the bad habits - now corrected - of driving considerably beyond 65mph for long distances, and not paying as much attention as I should to tire pressures. I think I have learned quite a lot from this excellent forum

Now I pretty much stick to the speed limits (heck I'm retired, what's the rush? Took me a while to adopt that philosophy!) As well, I now have a TPMS on the trailer and watch tire pressures closely!

Anyway, it sounds as though if it were your decision to make, you would stick with Marathons, and would stick with load range D if I am understanding properly. I'll be giving that due consideration!

I did look on the Maxxis website and I see that they for my size of tire ina D rating, they show about 50psi for type of weight I would have.

The E rating comes in higher up the load chart and starts at about 65 psi.

Would I take it from this that if I were to run an E rated tire at 50psi, that would be harmful to the tire and cause excess heating and maybe in fact increase my chances of tire failure?

Conversely, to run it at 65psi would result in a stiffer and potentially mode damaging ride to the trailer?

Just trying to sort this all out in my mind to hopefully make the wisest purchase!

Thanks again ........... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubill57 View Post
I have the D rated Maxxis,they give a softer ride where the Es have a stiffer ride.They both are excellent tires.A friend of mine just had tires put on at Jackson Center and they recommended E which he went with(not Maxxis) Me I like the softer ride ,not as much things coming loose or falling over in the trailer. I run 55 psi and my friend with the E tires runs about 80 psi.
I believe E rated ones ride oh sooooo slightly harder than an D radial. May not even notice, more so with rubber sprung axles. If you ever have a D rated tire come apart and beat the hell out of your wheelwells you'll wish you went with E rated tires, I guarantee you!!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Brian,

The Maxxis tire specs should be on their website. The E tires probably have deeper tread and will last longer. The question is how long? Will a purchase of E tires mean more tread than you'll need? Will the tread last longer than 5 years? How many miles do you drive in 5 years? You may be able to find wear ratings for the tires, though maybe not. They are required for passenger tires and often are available for light truck tires, but may not be for ST tires.

You can check the load requirements of the trailer vs. the tire's load carrying ability. This determines tire pressure. There are a number of sources of information about that—I believe you can find that info on the Tire Rack website.

Gene
Thanks Gene,

Mileage really isn't a big factor for me. We basically make one long trip a year - typically Toronto to Tucson or Ft Myers, and maybe a couple of very much shorter trips in summer to New York or Pennsylvania,

The main reason I was wondering about the E rated tire is I wondered of it might give me a little more hedge against a blowout.

I'm not that concerned about losing control in the event of a blowout, having a dual axle trailer, heavy tow vehicle and Hensley hitch, Just concerned about extensive and costly amage that could be caused to teh trailer by a blowout.

I did install a TPMS which I hope will prevent me from running on a flat tire that could fly apart and cause damage, but I'm ot sure how much protection it will give me against a blow out per se, so I wanted to do all I could in that regard when buying new tires.

My paranoia about blowouts is what is causing me to scrap these tires a 5 years of age!

Thanks again .......... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
If you ever have a D rated tire come apart and beat the hell out of your wheelwells you'll wish you went with E rated tires, I guarantee you!!!!

Well now there's something I hadn't considered!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
If you buy the E rated ones just air them up as you did your D tires, just because they are rated E doesnt mean you have to inflate them to their max pressure, its the load your inflating for.
That was something I wasn't sure about - I thought perhaps they had to be inflated to a minimum 65psi for proper performance and they might overheat at lower pressures.

From your comment about sidewall structure I suppose that -if inflated to equal pressures one shouldn't expect any real significant ride difference from E vs D with the Maxxis tires.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #15
_

. , .
this is one of those wildly repeated and often believed totally RED HERRINGS.

Quote:
...Conversely, to run it at 65psi would result in a stiffer and potentially mode damaging ride to the trailer?...
according to the PREZ of a/stream...

axles determine ride quality, not minor variations in tires.

IF u took your stream to j/c for tires,

they would use D rated and inflate to 65 psi.

one CAN order Es at j/c but they offer those as an OPTION to appease...

so DO what the experts do or try something different, your choice.
________

old tired axles cause problems which are often BLAMED on tires, are the axles shot?
________

if u read the links already provided the 50 vs 65 psi issue is covered.
________

ONE sensible reason to go with the M tires is...

they can be purchased with road hazard coverage.

that's also covered in da'links.
________

allowing for speeds of 65-75 includes...

PROPERLY inflated tires (or 10 psi more than the load only inflation)

STORED tires crack or age asymmetrically from NOT moving.

keeping them UP inflated reduces that issue.
_______

anyone got mice in da'stream and need advice on catching, killing or eliminating them?

cheers
2air'

Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
If you compare D and E Maxxis tires at the tire store they have the same thin flimsy sidewalls, and prolly the same number of ply's but stronger cord in the ply's. They will ride similar. I talked to a guy that eats, sleeps, and breathes tires 24-7-365days a yr. He told me in 225-75-15 size, only buy E rated ones as the others are junk no matter what the brand, given the present choice nowdays. If you buy the E rated ones just air them up as you did your D tires, just because they are rated E doesnt mean you have to inflate them to their max pressure, its the load your inflating for.

Many thanks for the added info ......... Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brian, figuring out what tire pressure it appropriate for a given use is not easy. Some say to use whatever is stamped on the side of the tire. But the tires that come on your car or truck probably have higher numbers than that recommended by the truck or car manufacturer. Airstream, when they mount Load Range E tires, will inflate them to the maximum; they should know better.

But, like r carl says, inflate to the pressure needed for the weight on the axles. Check tables. After you use them for a while, check the tread depth with a gauge to see how they are wearing. Too much pressure will wear the center too much, too little will wear the outside too much.

Gene
Old 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
1st sentence—I don't agree...
that u "don't agree" is irrelevant.

the M8008s are are all listed at 9/32 nds.

and the claim of seeing different tread depths...

on LT tires of the same SIZE/model/brand, but different load rating...

is just a claim, prove it or fold yer hand.
________

suggesting one LOOK for tread wear ratings where NONE exist (no UTQG=no rating)

is like suggesting one LOOK to catch a fish in the stream shower pan...

since water MIGHT mean fish are near by.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Check the Michelin website for the various versions of LTX tires—quite a few of the same size come in E and D or E and C range and have different tread depths. They call the C or D's "P" tires and the E's "LT". There are LT 275/70R18 Load Range E that come in either 17 or 14.5/32 and LT 275/70R18 LR E that comes in either 17 or 15.6/32.

I'm not seeing the fed tire ratings for LT tires on that website now as they lower load ranges are now P tires, not LT. Those were previously called LT and then had the ratings. Anyway, I was suggesting to look for whatever you can find. Rules change frequently and what wasn't true yesterday may become true today.

Gene
Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
That was something I wasn't sure about - I thought perhaps they had to be inflated to a minimum 65psi for proper performance and they might overheat at lower pressures.

From your comment about sidewall structure I suppose that -if inflated to equal pressures one shouldn't expect any real significant ride difference from E vs D with the Maxxis tires.

Brian
Tire pressure is adjusted so you get even tire wear across the tread. Too little pressure you get wear on the outside ribs and too much pressure you get wear on the middle 3 ribs.