Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Last year Michelin recalled some 16" M/S LT tires. There were three of the recalled tires on my trailer. Michelin replaced the entire set with new 16" M/S2 LT tires.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #22
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
A couple of thoughts on tire warranties and RV trailers:

Potentially, an LT tire on a trailer is a misapplication. LT tires are designed for use on trucks, and a trailer is not a truck. On the other hand, there is a way to accommodate an LT tire for trailer usage.

The question becomes one of whether or not the tire manufacturer would warrant an LT tire on a trailer - and that isn't quite the same question as whether or not an LT tire on a trailer is a misapplication. I am sure you could ask various people from the same tire manufacturer and get different answers. As a tire expert, I can argue both sides.

It is thoroughly understandable that tire dealers might balk at applying an LT tire to a trailer. They would be put on the spot if something bad were to happen.

While tire warranties are issued by the tire manufacturer, the warranty itself is administered by the tire dealer. Not only do tire manufacturers make deals outside the warranty (and that might appear to the uninformed to be the tire manufacturer accepting a warranty claim), tire dealers, too, can do things outside the warranty restrictions. In other words, be careful drawing conclusions about a particular situation involving a warranty. Some situations are covered under what is euphemistically called "Customer Satisfaction".
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
It's kind of a mmot point as ST trailer tires have no warranty to speak of.

Brian
My ST Tow Max tires on my Safari not only have a warranty, they had a roadside assistance plan. You can get these at a local dealer or Airstream will install them at the factory. (that's where I first saw them)

Towmax - warranty

I had 4 of them installed about 3 1/2 years ago, at a dealer near my home. I paid about $120 - $130 per tire, mounted and spin balanced.

I replace the old GYM spare this past summer, so all 5 of my Safari tires are Tow Max. The price was about the same as the first 4 tires.

I'm happy with the performance and wear so far! I would recommend them.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
All these tire threads are truly disheartening. The GYMs on my new-to-me unit were five years old, it was time for a change though they still looked like new (stored indoors by previous owner and by me; very few running miles).

So, after what I thought was due diligence, I decided to switch to Michelin 15 inch LTXs. Total bill for the new wheels and tires, not insignificant. But at least you can breathe easy, right?

Well, maybe not based on what I'm reading. It is very hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. A quick distillation of comments:

-Michelin LTX is not a real LT tire; it's a passenger car tire.
-It's unlikely that Michelin will honour their warranty, since they're being used on a TT. A mis-application.
-Possible that trailer insurance will be invalid in event of a tire-related catastrophe, due to tire mis-application.
-It is untrue that Michelin LTX failures haven't occurred; a number are mentioned in this thread.
-Airstream puts Michelin LTX tires on new Airstreams, though perhaps not with Michelin vetting..

I'm truly more confused now than ever on this subject.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
"The question becomes one of whether or not the tire manufacturer would warrant an LT tire on a trailer - and that isn't quite the same question as whether or not an LT tire on a trailer is a misapplication. I am sure you could ask various people from the same tire manufacturer and get different answers. As a tire expert, I can argue both sides." ..................
To me, the issue mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, that a misapplication of tire could also void insurance coverage, is far more important than a tire warranty being voided. A $200 tire is not a big loss to a trailer owner. However, an insurance company looking at a large $$$$ payout for a wrecked trailer would certainly be looking for a way out.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Does anybody really care about the tire warranty on a trailer? Put good tires on it. My experience with tire warranties, including Michelin, is that they pretty much never cover exactly what went wrong anyway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Does anybody really care about the tire warranty on a trailer? Put good tires on it. My experience with tire warranties, including Michelin, is that they pretty much never cover exactly what went wrong anyway.
Unless you buy the road hazard warranty, you are right. No matter what happens to the tire, they come up with things like "it was run underinflated", or their favorite, "you hit something".

The second one was what I was told about my BFG failure this summer. I told the dealer I must have been driving 60MPH in reverse when I hit it because it was the road side rear tire. That's when I got the blank stare.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I put 16" michelin's on my rig, I'm not looking back. My decision.

So here's a slightly related observation. All cars and pickups have standard and possibly an optional tire size on the door jamb or somewhere, OK.

So what about all the vehicles that have extreme over sized wheels and tires some to the point where they have to install modified suspensions.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
NTB doesnt have a problem with putting LT tires on trailers.

"Michelin's best-selling light truck tire. It can shoulder heavy loads and support trailers, while giving long wear and true all-season traction."

http://www.ntb.com/tires/sku-detail/...uId=sku1220131

This is the exact tire I put on my trailer, bought them from NTB.
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #30

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
I put 16" michelin's on my rig, I'm not looking back. My decision.

So here's a slightly related observation. All cars and pickups have standard and possibly an optional tire size on the door jamb or somewhere, OK.

So what about all the vehicles that have extreme over sized wheels and tires some to the point where they have to install modified suspensions.
I am of the same opinion. I decided to go with 16" wheels and Michelin LT's. I don't particularly care about any tire warranty.

My past experience has been that the OEM 15" Marathons on my 2005 Safari 25FB provided me with the excitement of three catastrophic failures (blowouts) on one trip with about 12,000 miles on them. I replaced the Marathons with Maxxis E's. The first set got me 28,000 miles before rampant tread separation. I went with another set of Maxxis. These only got about 10,000 miles before the tread separations began.

I decided to make the switch to 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires and Centramatic balancers. I had these installed at Jackson Center.I towed that Safari 60,000 miles without a single tire issue of any kind. When I traded her in, the tires did not appear to have hardly any wear.

My conclusion: ST tires are junk. If I had gone ahead and done the switch on the old Safari when she was new, I would have saved about $1,000 and a lot of grief and aggravation.

We took delivery of the new 2015 FC 25FB on October 2nd. I installed the new 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires on November 3rd.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/ry215

These LT tires are advertised on-off road and truck and trailers. They come in a 15" and 16" size. You don't need to replace them in 5yrs as they can be retreaded for many yrs. You can spin your trailer in circles until the hubcaps fall off as I've done it. They are tuff tires and their sidewalls are stiffer and thicker than LRE Marathons!!!!

ST tires are for utility trailers!!!!

Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
RY215 Commercial Light Truck Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

These LT tires are advertised on-off road and truck and trailers. They come in a 15" and 16" size. You don't need to replace them in 5yrs as they can be retreaded for many yrs. You can spin your trailer in circles until the hubcaps fall off as I've done it. They are tuff tires and their sidewalls are stiffer and thicker than LRE Marathons!!!!

ST tires are for utility trailers!!!!

I just took a look at the Yokohama RY215's. They look very interesting. When I replace the Michelins, I will be looking very hard at these. They appear to be a good replacement for the Marathons on the 15" OEM wheels.

Brian

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
RY215 Commercial Light Truck Tires | Yokohama Tire Corp.

That is nice tire but doesn't give my trailer a lot of margin for error if my math is correct.
GVW 8400#
8400 * 0.9 = 7560# (my last scale ticket for axles is 7400#)
7560 \ 4 = 1890# each tire (max weight)
1890# * 1.1 = 2079# (10% margin for error)

The tire is rated at 2040# (assuming it would be rated like an LT tire). It would get the job done but probably closer than what is recommended. Sort of pushes me towards the 16" tire E rated tire.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
My new resolution is to ignore all tire threads until my next set is needed, spring 2020. Maybe the subject will be sorted out by then!!

That said, I haven't kept a lot of resolutions over the years ...
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
That is nice tire but doesn't give my trailer a lot of margin for error if my math is correct.
GVW 8400#
8400 * 0.9 = 7560# (my last scale ticket for axles is 7400#)
7560 \ 4 = 1890# each tire (max weight)
1890# * 1.1 = 2079# (10% margin for error)

The tire is rated at 2040# (assuming it would be rated like an LT tire). It would get the job done but probably closer than what is recommended. Sort of pushes me towards the 16" tire E rated tire.
The 16" tire is LRF which is rated 3170# a tire.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I'm not a "tire expert" but I kinda figured one of the reasons we're told there is no warranty on our Michelins is due to the fact that our Airstreams are not equipped with odometers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:19 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
I'm not a "tire expert" but I kinda figured one of the reasons we're told there is no warranty on our Michelins is due to the fact that our Airstreams are not equipped with odometers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
You're absolutely right, I hadn't thought of that. Michelin relies on the dealers to record the milage when they mount the tires so they know how many miles you run the tires.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Actually, they measure the remaining thread depth to calculate warranty. At least, that's what they did on my BFG's.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Actually, they measure the remaining thread depth to calculate warranty. At least, that's what they did on my BFG's.
Interesting. Everyone should take with a grain of salt what I have to say about tires. I worked in the industry from 81 to 97. 17 years in these modern times is almost like a century of change. It just seems like yesterday.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #40
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
My new resolution is to ignore all tire threads until my next set is needed, spring 2020. Maybe the subject will be sorted out by then!!

That said, I haven't kept a lot of resolutions over the years ...
This hasn't been sorted out since the invention of the tire. What makes you think people have made progress since then?
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote