Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tpms

wingfoot321
I looked it up.
The delta threshold is 12.5%. That delta is hard wired into the monitor.
So if you inflate the tire to 65 psi it will alarm at 57 psi.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #22
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
my Pressure Pro results

I'll jump in here and post a link to my Pressure Pro experience:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tml#post453263

We won't travel without them anymore.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
tustin , California
steel vrs rubber stems

For those of you that are using the PP system, have you changed your stems to steel or are you having good luck with the factory rubber units.
The reason I ask is I'm ready to install my PP unit but the factory included a note saying that they recommend steel, my trailer is a 08' 27 fbse, with about 1,000 miles on it, I will change them out in a hart beat if anyone has had any problems with the units that AS uses, thanks for your help, as stated befor, this is a great forum.
terrygaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrygaines
For those of you that are using the PP system, have you changed your stems to steel or are you having good luck with the factory rubber units.
The reason I ask is I'm ready to install my PP unit but the factory included a note saying that they recommend steel, my trailer is a 08' 27 fbse, with about 1,000 miles on it, I will change them out in a hart beat if anyone has had any problems with the units that AS uses, thanks for your help, as stated befor, this is a great forum.
Terry,

Regardless of what PP says, I would change out your valve stems to metal immediately. Many tire inflation problems can be traced to leaky valve stems, and it's the very first thing I would change on any tire hat had rubber stems. They just don't have the longevity or air holding capacity of a metal stem.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The PP, as described, may be like adding a weight to the wheel. I don't know how much they weigh (never seen one), but the lead weights added to wheels to balance them aren't very heavy. So…

Would the wheels have to be balanced when any pressure measuring system is added to the valve stem?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Balance

I use balancing sand so the added weight of the sensor is compensated for automatically. Centramatics will do the same thing.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The PP sensors weigh about 0.75 oz. and if they make a niticeable difference to your tire balance, they recommend addind a 1/2 oz. weight opposite the sensor.

I use a tire sealant that also balances the tires as you drive like the Centramitics, but you get puncture protection as well. Never had a probem with balancing after that............
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel
I'll jump in here and post a link to my Pressure Pro experience:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...tml#post453263

We won't travel without them anymore.
Thanks for this report, Tin Diesel...I am serioiusly considering the Pressure Pros for our 19' 2006 Bambi...only 1 axle and I don't want either tire to go completely flat en route...nor do I want to discover a shredded tire after it's too late and the damage is done...

Did you have to rebalance your tires when you put them on, and did you change out the facatory valve stems?

One other note, just to put it out there...our Tacoma has factory tire pressure monitoring sysem...it has alerted us twice (since getting it in March) to pressure problems before they became a problem...and I have been very happy with the system. I believe the factory truck & auto systems are a different breed than the after-market technology, so I feel like comparing them is an apples and oranges thing. I also believe it's still prudent to check the tires regularly even if you have these systems...it certainly can't hurt to take a look before you look down the road.

Travel well...
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #29
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
It seems to work

My new Silverado has the sensors and they automatically run OnStar diagnostics on the truck once a month and emails me the results. They ran the first diagnostic 24 hours after I picked it up at the dealer and it discovered that all 4 tires were low.

The sensors agree quite well with my$20 brass tire gage.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #30
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
New valves and rebalance

Quote:
Did you have to rebalance your tires when you put them on, and did you change out the facatory valve stems?
TBRich, I did rebalance as a part of regular maintenance, but I didn't change out the valves. The vendor didn't think that was necessary, as I recall.

We're getting new axels, disk brakes and centramatics in January, so we'll upgrade to new valves then.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Tin_D et al...we did get PressurePros for our Bambi...our truck has its own factory systems, so we only have 2 PP sensors for the trailer. We did not have to re-balance (only necessary on small tires, apparently) and we did not switch out the rubber valve stems for metal (but will when we replace tires, as they are preferred, but not necessary). We just made a long weekend trip (120mi @ 65 mph max)...and we are very pleased...great to be able to hit a button and get a traveling pressure reading for a specific tire. This does not mean we no longer need to check our tires and keep and eye on them, but I can say that I feel safer and more secure on the road using the system...well worth the cost considering what potential damage to the AS could cost if we shredded a tire because we didn't realize we were having a pressure issue. We are happy campers.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
... but I can say that I feel safer and more secure on the road using the system...well worth the cost considering what potential damage to the AS could cost if we shredded a tire because we didn't realize we were having a pressure issue. We are happy campers.

TB
Same here. A good investment.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote