Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Angry Look what Discount Tire did to our underbelly

We had Discount Tire in Albuquerque install new wheels and tires on our trailer.

Even after crawling on the ground and pointing out the "Place Jack Here" signs, they still failed to do the job properly and also did not tell us they damaged the trailer.

We found the damage when we were de-winterizing.

Upset doesn't come close to describing how I am feeling.

Photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	206295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	206296  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	206297  
vegangirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I would say that the odds are very high that "Discount Tire" doesn't have any idea that happened, as the tire tech probably pretended it didn't happen and no one in a position of responsibility knew about it.

It's VERY crappy indeed. Not that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything like that, but I put my trailer on jackstands myself and take the tires to the tire shop. I wasn't even that picky with my '71 Skylark Custom Convertible, but I just assume the tire-boys don't know anything about an Airstream so I don't trust them not to hurt it.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That part of the underbelly covers a holding tank- either fresh, gray, or black water- there may be damage to the holding tank, also.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Have you spoken to the store manager?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Same thing happened to me at a mom and pop shop out west last summer. They offered to pay, but a little hammer work by me and it wasn't worth the effort....plus their honesty deserved reward.

Mine wasn't quite as deep as yours, but there is at least 1/2"...maybe 3/4" of styrofoam between the pan and tank. If you work that edge lip back down, I think you're ok. Mine has never leaked and I am sure I no longer have any undue stress on the tank.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hope it works out for the best.

You showed them the jacking point and they jacked on axel?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi everyone,
The Discount tire Manager is supposed to meet us at our Airstream Service Company (Holiday Travel Trailers in ABQ) tomorrow.
Let's hope they pay for all the repairs.
We know the tire techs knew they caused this damage and didn't tell us. We were right next to the trailer the entire time. We showed them exactly where to put the jack, and where NOT to....our mistake was not checking after the work was done. I am most angry with myself for not doing that.
In addition; we may have to cancel a long- awaited trip and will have to pay a cancellation fee.
Also, I am the type of person who can't put off repairs...can't relax unless I know the trailer is in top shape....
Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
When I have tire work done on my ASCL I pull it up on blocks outside the tire shop, which in my case is National Tire & Battery (NTB) and watch them do each tire as I move the trailer on the blocks. Additionally, NTB allows Customers to observe in the shop.

Many are the times that I have had to correct a "technician" in the proper way to torque a wheel and once had to stop one of them from literally jumping up/down on one of my X5's wheels in an effort to break a stubborn tire bead from the wheel that their machine failed to separate.

Buyer be ware!!!
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Hopefully no major damage done.

I don't know what their training is on working on trailers and proper procedures but I just bought 4 new 16" wheels, tires and TPMS and did the finished wheel installation myself.

They got the right parts, even used dark wheel weights to match the wheel. But while I watched from outside I was impressed by the overall "shop procedures" for moving tires, inflating in a safety cage, cleaning hubs on the vehicle prior to mounting, torque wrenches and other procedures even including using another employee to guide a car being backed out of the shop.

It was Discount Tire in Rock Hill SC.

If their shop guidelines are indicative of their corporation policies, I bet they'll work this out.

Good luck.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangirl57 View Post
Hi everyone,
The Discount tire Manager is supposed to meet us at our Airstream Service Company (Holiday Travel Trailers in ABQ) tomorrow.
Sounds to me that you're on your way to an amicable solution!! Hope it goes well!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi,
We bought 16" Sendel wheels, Michelin tires and a TPMS system. We don't have the equipment to perform the work, so we had Discount tires do it.
I am sure the Manager did not know about the damage until today...when we found it.
.....feeling more sick to my stomach as the minutes pass.....
Thank you all for the kind words....
Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have the same dent in my tank pan. Yours is in an odd place. They missed the axel mounting plate on mine and hit the tank. This was something that happened prior to me owning the trailer but I can imagine it was a tire store or gas station that did it. I was able to bend mine and it looks better but it will never be new. Best way to fix it is to remove the pan and hammer the dent out. It will damage the galvanize to do this and it will rust at some point. A sheet metal shop can make a new pan. It is really thick like .040 galvanized steel.

You trailer is new enough that Airstream can send you a new pan and that is what I would want or a free set of tires.

Make sure the tire monkeys know how much one of these trailer cost the next time you have work done.

Good Luck

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I would be equally or more concerned they bent the axle tube, and have therefore screwed up the wheel alignment. Not supposed to be lifting by the axles, especially what appears to be that far in.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
We had Discount Tire in Albuquerque install new wheels and tires on our trailer.

Even after crawling on the ground and pointing out the "Place Jack Here" signs, they still failed to do the job properly and also did not tell us they damaged the trailer.

We found the damage when we were de-winterizing.

Upset doesn't come close to describing how I am feeling.

Photos:
This is why I recommend getting some reflective red tape and marking the jack points with tape. It's no guarantee that they'll put the jack on the tape— laziness is laziness no matter where you go— but then they have no excuse when you come back later and point out the damage because some numbskull didn't put the jack on the tape marks you so thoughtfully provided.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Jack points

I have owned A.S since 1962 and have never jacked mine up only use boards as ramps. I did jack new axles in place last yr.only on mounting plates not on axle tubes that this only proper place to lift them in place. I will never let any one jack on any of my trailers including imp. utility etc........................ Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi Everyone,

How would I know if they bent the axle tube?
Old 02-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
I think you'll get additional answers, tube is bent from the factory etc. But how about something basic. Look carefully at the axle(s) for marks left from what looks like in your photo as a saddle from a common floor jack.

That saddle hits the paint and leaves a mark in the paint.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

How would I know if they bent the axle tube?
Express your concern regarding a potential bent axle to the A/S service folks when you have this meeting. Make it clear in your conversation to both the A/S folks as well as the tire store manager that you completely understand the mechanical possibilities of the axle tube being bent from having been lifted that way. Point it out in the owner manual, or the manual from Dexter or whoever made the axles. Make it clear that if it turns out an axle is bent, resulting in abnomal tire wear, that you want to be made right by the tire store. Get it in writing, over their signature. In other words, document it, because later on, if it ain't documented..... it didn't happen.

EDIT: worst case scenario is at some point you will have to either pay for the axles to be re-aligned, or axles replaced. All in all, in the end of the whole ownership story of a trailer, that really is not all that many dollars.
One thing we know for sure, you won't let this happen again at the next shop.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
For anyone reading this (like me) who has not jacked their airstream up before, check out this additional link RV Tips It explains where exactly to place it.

I just checked mine, and it is CLEARLY labeled where to place the Jack. I'm surprised discount tire screwed that up. I hope they fix it.
T1NCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
For anyone reading this (like me) who has not jacked their airstream up before, check out this additional link RV Tips It explains where exactly to place it.

I just checked mine, and it is CLEARLY labeled where to place the Jack. I'm surprised discount tire screwed that up. I hope they fix it.
There is one piece of odd advice in the link:
Quote:
Also, if you are using the type of floor jack shown on this Tip page below, make sure that once you get it up in the air, put a jack stand in place so that it is more secure. If that hydraulic cylinder were to blow out, the trailer could fall causing injury.
That's actually good advice, but is the jacking point large enough to put a jack stand alongside the jack and have BOTH of them on the jacking point until you can let the jack down? I doubt it. That means that either your jack or your jack stand will have to miss the jacking point.

I still like the reflective tape idea. If you ever have to jack it up in early morning or late evening, or in a poorly-lit garage, reflective tape shows up by flashlight or work light much better than a diamond-shaped metal piece that's the same color as the surrounding metal. Yeah, I know that a proper garage is always well lit, but not very often do you see light fixtures near floor level to illuminate under a vehicle or trailer.