Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2024, 07:46 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Lesson Learned re:tires, TPMS, & jacking

I saw this LoLoHo video this evening and thought it was worth sharing as there are some lessons learned by Sean and Kristy about replacing tires. There are also several other very important do's and don'ts.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 10:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Good points.

My question: Where was their spare tire, and why didn’t they use it?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:16 AM   #3
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Good points.

IDK. But that is a good question.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Good points.

I believe that, in the past, a spare tire was an option and not standard equipment.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Spare tire

Hans627 thanks for posting the LOLOHO video, I hadn’t seen it.

After watching the video one guess why Sean didn’t use the spare was they were on the side of a busy highway and didn’t want to spend the time to get the spare out. They mentioned being close to an off-ramp and the tire shop.

My first reaction would be to mount the spare but it’s good to know you can drive at reduced speed for a short distance. Risk vs. Reward…

As Hans627 said there are lessons to be learned. I give Sean credit for explaining the batteries in the TPMS monitor were dead - that’s a big “awe crap”. I’m sure we’ve all had a moment like that. I’m going to pick up one of those tire changing ramps.

That’s a real shame the tire shop jacked up their trailer on the fresh water tank and ruined it. My gosh, what was that guy thinking? Kudos for the shop and DT for owning up to the mistake and covering the expense but it never should have happened.

I had Discount Tire install Dill metal valve stems when I got our TPMS and made sure they used the jack point under the rear of the trailer. They had no problem following my instructions. You have to be assertive without coming off as a jerk when explaining this is how it must be done - no exceptions.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Yikes. What a cautionary tale. Totally agree with Jeff that it pays to watch a tire shop jack your rig...when I've had tires replaced, the techs never mind me looking over their shoulder. So sorry for LoLoHo with this fiasco, and hope they're up and running soon.
AgBullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I believe that, in the past, a spare tire was an option and not standard equipment.
Their AS looks pretty new. It would be interesting to know when it began to be standard equipment. But not carrying a spare is a big mistake in my opinion.

So maybe another one of the lessons for this video is carry a spare tire!

It was good to see that the lift (which I have) works well. I also have a battery powered Milwaukee torque drive. Thankfully I have not had to use any of them. And I pray I never do.

I also wish that AS would do something about the wheel wells to make sure that if a flat happens damage doesn’t occur. I would even buy something after market to put in the wheel wells.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Their AS looks pretty new. It would be interesting to know when it began to be standard equipment. But not carrying a spare is a big mistake in my opinion.

So maybe another one of the lessons for this video is carry a spare tire!

It was good to see that the lift (which I have) works well. I also have a battery powered Milwaukee torque drive. Thankfully I have not had to use any of them. And I pray I never do.

I also wish that AS would do something about the wheel wells to make sure that if a flat happens damage doesn’t occur. I would even buy something after market to put in the wheel wells.
The beauty of an Airstream.

I don't quite understand the drive on lift. The one time I had to change a tire due to a puncture, I stacked leveling blocks for the same end result.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 10:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Quote:
Good points.

At their location on the side of the road I would not have either. Have you ever tried wrestling a 16 in Michelin off that spare carrier.

They were able to slowly limp to a close shop. Out miles away a different story.
Ignoring the tire shop and letting them jack on a tank is a bad mistake.

My Michelin truck tires have 8/32 of tread but are now 5 years old. I’m replacing them soon. Not so much for a blow out although that’s important it’s for stopping distance. Found a Michelin chart on age vs stopping distance and said oh that’s a wake up call towing

Nice of them to post a bad decision. I’ve visited Vinnie never reject his advise.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 01:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
I watched that episode last night. I would be very hesitant to tow on 1 wheel, but less than 2 miles may be an acceptable risk. If my Airstream didn't have a spare, i would get one, even if it meant putting it in the truck bed. I would not go far without my TPMS working. I'd hard wire the display to the truck. I am considering adding wheel well protection in case a serious blowout created a steal belt nightmare. https://rv-de-fender.com. I also am very careful to check my hitch pin and emergency brake cable at every fill up. I once lost a utility trailer when I knew the emergency brake cable was frayed, thinking 3rd point of failure (coupler, chains, then brake cable) was unlikely to happen in the next hour and would address at our next stop.
Taco Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 01:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
We don't have a dedicated tire changing ramp - we use our "legos" leveling blocks - just put enough so the "unblocked" wheels just barely clear the ground. With that setup, we can get 2 tires done at a time (one axle at a time) - we leave the truck hooked up to the trailer throughout the process to prevent rolling. If at home, we use second vehicle to haul tires to the shop; if at the tire shop, no jacking needed.

I discovered I can get 3 tires (2 from the axle and the spare) into my old Ford Fusion!! LOL
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 01:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Bambi
Port Hueneme , California
Great subject however, for me being somewhat of a newbie, I have a few questions that I hope you all could give me some guidance.

1 - I have a 2018 Bambi 16' Sport and the tires are original. Should I change them?

2 - Should I replace the spare at the same time due to age? I drop it once in a while to make sure there is enough air pressure and practice in the chance I need to out on the road.

3 - I have been under my trailer several times and seen where it's marked for jacking. It doesn't look all that sturdy can I count on the markings to be the appropriate spot. I know this one sounds a little paranoid but my dad always said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Thanks,
Dave
buttnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:11 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttnerd View Post
Great subject however, for me being somewhat of a newbie, I have a few questions that I hope you all could give me some guidance.

1 - I have a 2018 Bambi 16' Sport and the tires are original. Should I change them?

2 - Should I replace the spare at the same time due to age? I drop it once in a while to make sure there is enough air pressure and practice in the chance I need to out on the road.

3 - I have been under my trailer several times and seen where it's marked for jacking. It doesn't look all that sturdy can I count on the markings to be the appropriate spot. I know this one sounds a little paranoid but my dad always said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Thanks,
Dave
These are good questions -

We change our tires about 5 - 6 years, including the spare, since it's the same age.

As far as the jack point goes, be careful - on our 27FB there's actually a little arrow next to the word "JACK" that points to a small metal plate - unless you notice the arrow, it can look like the jack point is where "JACK" is marked. The metal plate seems sturdy - where the word "JACK" is located can be flexed with my fingers.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:22 PM   #14
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttnerd View Post

Yes I would replace them if it were me.

With a single axle trailer I would replace the spare as well.

Make sure the jack is placed on the square metal plate.

Thanks,
Dave
And yes, there are no stupid questions!
Old 04-08-2024, 02:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
I don't know when spares became standard equipment but that trailer is a 2003 25' Classic.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I don't quite understand the drive on lift. The one time I had to change a tire due to a puncture, I stacked leveling blocks for the same end result.
It's just super easy to use and is very stable. Also, I've found that given the depressed tire cradle it's possible to drive up on the ramp without a spotter because you can literally see and feel the trailer dip slightly when the tire is in the proper position. Convenient if you're travelling alone and especially if you don't want to bother your wife when you're working on the trailer in the driveway.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
What really resonated for me in the LoLo video was that you have to be a "jerk of a customer" in your insistence that the repair facility guys jack your Airstream correctly.
I am a woman that travels alone and went through this in Des Moines, Iowa a couple of years ago. I insisted on being in the garage with the mechanic as he worked. He moved so fast, pushing the lift under the trailer and seemingly deaf to my explanation as to where it needed to go. I was on my knees as I spoke to him, wanting him to also kneel down so I could show him the jack points. Instead, he just stood there and activated the jack. I saw right away it was going to lift the trailer on the axle. I yelled at him to STOP. Which he did. I was SO PISSED OFF at this point that I didn't care what the hell anyone thought of me or if I hurt his precious little feelings. I ordered him to kneel beside me and he reluctantly did; and I pointed out the lift points which I had spray-painted bright pink, before my trip. And then I 'stood guard' as he completed the repair. I have a lesson learned from that day. Be assertive. Be an asshole. This is your Airstream, your home on the road and the repair guy will not have to live with the damage incurred through their own arrogant carelessness; and thoughtless disregard for the customer.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Our vintage Airstream did not have spare tire carrier. We never carried one. However, the owner's manual from that era (I don't know about the current manuals for tandem axle trailers) clearly stated you could tow on three tires in an emergency, and recommended keeping the speed down to 50 mph. This is akin to using a temporary spare on a car. Obviously, the rubber torsion axles are key to making this possible.

I've pulled a flat tire off of our old trailer without lifting or jacking. There was enough clearance to pull it off with a bit of wiggling.

The ramp is nice, but a couple of pieces of 2x8 lumber will do the job too. (I'm too cheap to buy "lego" blocks when wood is free and just as good.) And as Mike said, it's easy feel what the trailer is doing when you drive up on a block or ramp.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 06:59 AM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
What really resonated for me in the LoLo video was that you have to be a "jerk of a customer" in your insistence that the repair facility guys jack your Airstream correctly.
Generally I have discovered that the repair facility management understands money. Far more than the tech.

Meaning before the trailer is being worked on at service write up I am going to ask the service writer or who ever is writing the service ticket, "Have you ever lifted an Airstream Trailer?". Followed up with a statement, that if the trailer is lifted incorrectly not at the designated lifting points, thousands of dollars of damage can occur. If your tech does not know, I can point out the spots.

If they want more I go into the suspension system inside the axle tube is based on length. Crush the tube and the suspension system does not work. Several thousands of dollars per axle. Or lift on the wrong part pf the body and punch a hole, ouch! (At this point making a wincing facial gestor is good) Then I say, you don't need that kind of advertising.

This has always worked. I have never had to be a jerk. And I get praised for the education that they are about to receive.

Action
Old 04-14-2024, 08:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
On our trip to Juneau in August ‘22, we were en route to a bank in Spokane when my TPMS alarmed for high temp.

Believing it to be in error, but not taking a foolish chance, I exited the highway and after parking, touched each tire with the backs of my fingers; got 2nd degree burns on rear driver’s side tire.

The brakes on the less-than-2,000-mile new axles had fallen apart and parts were dragging against the drum.

Later, after stopping at Laird Hot Springs, we got a low pressure alarm. Passenger front tire picked up a screw. We had two spares for the trailer for this trip; back on the road in twenty minutes.

The brake failure could have burned our Airstream to the ground; a fire extinguisher might not have been effective due to the heat build-up.

That TPMS saved our butts twice in one trip- best preventative money I’ve spent.

Note: I keep my cab monitor plugged-in despite battery backup.

-Ken
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote