Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
This topic has been talked to death here on the forum. I have a 2019 22’ Sport with 12,000 miles on it. Being a single axle trailer, tires are critical. No luxury of a second tire on the side to support the trailer if a tire blows. I’ve been to the GYE website and have done lots of study on TRAILER TIRES. Tire flex is your enemy. People here look at the chart and say “Oh, looky there, my trailer don’t weigh enough for max PSI” Maybe that’s true, but tire flex is still degrading the sidewalls, loosening the sheets of bias, and unduly heating things up more than a firmly rigid tire. I’ve had no problems with screws coming loose, and not on rivet has popped out!! I did find an unused handful left behind by AS, but none have popped loose. Do what you deem best, but I’m sticking with 80 PSI.
You need to do more research on this topic for sure...the ST tires ("trailer tires") are made with stronger, stiffer, more ply layers to support in the sidewalls to support the flex that occurs with a trailer. Your 22' Sport is fairly light and may run fine at max PSI...or maybe you will start losing rivets if you hit rough pavement; you may find a broken latch, or a door broke loose on the floor...or even your refrigerator door swing open and stuff all over the floor...I have seen all this happen with my rigs and in other peoples rigs...ask around...many here can confirm. The "experts" on this topic will confirm also, running 10-15 psi below max is recommended....look at the tire MFG specs on the GYE for your Sport...it will likely say for your weight, cold 40-45psi? I run at 58-60PSI cold, as I mentioned earlier..they warm up substantially...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #62
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post

The "experts" on this topic will confirm also, running 10-15 psi below max is recommended....look at the tire MFG specs on the GYE for your Sport...it will likely say for your weight, cold 40-45psi?
Do not just adjust air pressure because some one on this forum says to run 10-15 psi below max. DAVSCH, I do not think you are going there anyway.
AND
The tire placard on the trailer is the place to start. Filling below that pressure is not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

If any cold tire pressure adjustments need to occur, it should be based on actual weight on the tires. Based on actual trailer weight across a scale.

Note tire pressures specs on a chart from the tire manufacturer are minimum cold fill pressure assuming there is no other guideline from the vehicle manufacturer. Having a margin above that minimum would be highly encouraged.

Action
Old 09-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Do not just adjust air pressure because some one on this forum says to run 10-15 psi below max. DAVSCH, I do not think you are going there anyway.
AND
The tire placard on the trailer is the place to start. Filling below that pressure is not recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.

If any cold tire pressure adjustments need to occur, it should be based on actual weight on the tires. Based on actual trailer weight across a scale.

Note tire pressures specs on a chart from the tire manufacturer are minimum cold fill pressure assuming there is no other guideline from the vehicle manufacturer. Having a margin above that minimum would be highly encouraged.

Action
I think many of us, as posted in this thread, run our GYE's 10-20psi below max PSI of 80, if you go back and read this and other threads, on this topic; I might add with good results. AS told me years ago, they put that "placard" as a guide for "Max pressure as a "do not exceed, guide" because most folks (back then) do not know what their AS weighs and don't take the time to read the tire mfg recommended PSI. I have also called both Michelin and Goodyear; Michelin of course, says their LT tires are not recommended for trailer use, however both Mfg's they recommended to follow the tire inflation charts and adjust accordingly.
See post #53 earlier...consistent with many of our experiences...80 max PSI cold will increase by 10-20+psi when hot...that is too harsh for my AS as experience's have shown over 4 AS's and 18 years towing...popped rivets being one example; broken latches, shower door on floor with broken upper hinge, door broken latches, closet door open hanging by one hinge, etc. All a pain that went away, by lowering the PSI, in my case to 58-60 cold.

Here is #53 again, in case you missed it:
"My Airstream documentation had an addendum for the tires, and I contacted Goodyear. Both stated that you should weigh your trailer and adjust the tire pressure according to the tire inflation/load tables. At 80 PSI, my tires are good for 2830 pounds each or 11,320 pounds total. That is a bit much for a trailer that weighs 7300 pounds on the scales and has a 7600 pound GVWR. Too much air will cause your trailer to bounce significantly. I run my tires at 60 psi cold and still have quite a bit of wiggle room on the tables. No popped rivets and things tend to stay where they are placed in the trailer. Keep in mind that there may a significant difference in the axle weights on a dual axle trailer."

Be safe out there... sharing our experiences is meant to help!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I use the GY Endurance load/pressure chart for my 1967 Caravel. My Caravel weighed 2450 lbs dry from the factory. The remodel I did added weight so I assume the trailer now weights 3000 lbs. So, according to the GY chart I can run my pressure between 35-40 psi. I keep it at 45 psi (205/75r15) for a margin of safety. The load/pressure is per tire. Higher pressures will not be kind to the trailer.

I always use the hand on tire/wheel, every time we stop for fuel/food, to ensure heat buildup is not a problem from either the tires, bearings, or brakes.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
This is probably the best post that I have seen on the subject of tire pressure.https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ce-223180.html
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCMRET View Post
This is probably the best post that I have seen on the subject of tire pressure.https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ce-223180.html
Aaaaaa, which post; there are 72 threads on that posting...but if you look closer, there are many others with same information....from same "posters"!
Old 09-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #67
Casual camper

2015 28' International
Selbyville , Delaware
I’ve been looking to replace my Marathon’s with Endurance but can not find any. Anyone have a secret stash?
Mikem1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The secret stash is at Discount Tire. Maybe all of them for now.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Little rock , Arkansas
I ordered my Endurance 225/75/15 from Taylor Baker at discount tire direct. Give her a call at 800-589-6789 ext 51801 Very pleasant to deal with and speedy free shipping. They’ll get 58 tomorrow.
Tell her they’re for your Airstream!
Dtrentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Trust the Science: No Neanderthal or Human Bean

I tow between 65mph and 70mph.

My tire pressure is 65psi to 70psi.

When parked... guess the psi?

Unloaded psi? Loaded psi? Cold psi? Road hot psi? Spare tire psi should be 80psi and it will deflate by the time you may need it.

This is Science talking to you. Trust the Science. Trust no Neanderthal. If you haul lots of rock tools and hunted game to be gutted and being hauled... go to 80psi.

Everyone has a sweet spot. Over time your tires will leak psi and when you feel the towing is at its best... check the air pressure and write that psi on the door of your trailer.

Trust the Science... This is for a double axle. Single axle... you are on your own. Trust the Science... from the single axle crowd. The psi's on a single and a double should never be similar, as they need to be higher psi to haul the same amount of CRAPPP you may want to haul. Trust a Scale in that case.

Politicians, Trust the Science, have the answer... but you have to pay to get the psi that is best.

Good luck.